“Pretty sub-standard for the Hilton brand”

Parmelia Hilton Perth
Ranked #15 of 65 Hotels in Perth
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Pretty sub-standard for the Hilton brand”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

In a city where there are no genuine 5-star hotels Hilton (or whoever owns the Parmelia) has an opportunity to be stand-out. Sadly they miss out on most counts. Check-in experience was fine but it all kind of went down hill after that. The rooms (which were at least big enough) look like they date from the 1970's and haven't been refreshed since. Cleaning is hit and miss. Some of the staff don't have decent English. Breakfast is a very average experience - staff are friendly enough but a bit too 'alternative' for my liking. Food just meets the minimum - no more. $50 per day for valet parking (though parking IS difficult and expensive in Perth) still seems a lot to me. It does have a convenient location in the city - unlike the Hyatt which is too far at the other end of 'the Terrace'. Unfortunately Perth is full of average or sub-standard hotels and this one just joins the list. An opportunity missed I'd say - because the city is crying out for a quality city centre establishment.

Room Tip: I was told by one member of staff that rooms are being slowly refurbished - from the top floor down...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank OliverPerth_WA
gmperthhilton, General Manager at Parmelia Hilton Perth, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear OliverPerth_WA

Thank you very much for your review.

Although it is great to hear our excellent location was of benefit to you, I am naturally very concerned you were disappointed with aspects of your visit. Hilton’s focus is on providing the best possible guest experience and we are well under way with a major refurbishment program in the Hotel to update all guest rooms over the next year. Three floors have been completed and work is progressing quickly on the fourth floor to be renovated. We are confident you will enjoy these improvements and hope you will give us an opportunity to change your impression.

I have shared your feedback with senior management concerning your evaluation of your dining experience. Please accept my apologies for any shortfall. Please also let us know of any preferences so we can ensure we are meeting your needs in the future.

Thanks again for your detailed review and we look forward to seeing you again.

David Constantine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Bangkok
Reviewed August 21, 2013

The hotel management know the shortcomings of this hotel, so price it accordingly. It needs a refit, but is in a good location. The room was clean enough, except for the stains on the carpet, but I guess that's included in the price? If this were anywhere other than Perth the location would be fantastic. As it is Perth the city centre location just means that you have to wander deserted streets in search of somewhere to eat and drink on a balmy Sunday summer night. All of the trendy new brasseries and cafes are closed.... All in all, it is an adequate bed for the night on the way somewhere else, and I would probably stay here again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
gmperthhilton, General Manager at Parmelia Hilton Perth, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear BangkokStu

Thank you very much for your review.

Glad to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay. We are in the process of refurbishing guest rooms and we are sure you will appreciate the changes. Three floors will be refurbished by the end of August and we aim for all guest rooms to be completed in the next 12 months.

On your next visit, you might like to experience our newly renovated Adelphi Grill, located just off the lobby. The Team will make you very welcome.

We hope to see you next time you visit Perth.

Melbourne
Reviewed August 19, 2013

This was my third stay at the Parmeila and I was again impressed by the professionalism and friendliness of the staff.

Even though I was on a much reduced wotif mystery rate the receptionist greeted me in the most professional and friendly manner. The GM was also in the reception area and said hello to me. That was a nice touch. The Parmelia is a credit to him.

The day I arrived in Perth I was met with torrential rain and gale force winds. After checking in and a quick shower and change, went out for dinner. When I came back, the wind had picked up and soon was blowing around the window seals and blowing the curtains around. Then the exhaust fan in the bathroom started buzzing. Being a very light sleeper, I thought it best to ask for a room change. The lovely receptionist was most understanding but the hotel was fully booked and could not do anything. This I could understand. But the wheels were put in motion for a room change for the next night,

This is where professionalism shines though. Not only did they move all my bags, but upgraded me to a fantastic room. No arguments, no snooty looks, just a willingness to ensure I was happy. I was exceedingly happy. The Guest Relations Manager even double checked that everything was in order. Nice and quiet.

Breakfast in the Adelphi was amazing and table service was exceptional.

Check out was seamless and again the receptionist double checked that I had a good night sleep, which I certainly did.

Again, thoroughly impressed with the total experience. Sure some of the room décor may be a little dated, but this is a minor aspect when the staff attitudes and housekeeping standards are so high.

I will look forward to my next stay for sure.

Thanks to all at the Parmelia Hilton Perth. A top notch experience.

2 Thank Douggy69
gmperthhilton, General Manager at Parmelia Hilton Perth, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Douggy69

Thank you very much for your great review.

It was indeed a pleasure to meet you on your arrival to the Hotel. Such a shame the weather was wild - we hope you will be returning to sample the great weather we usually enjoy all year round in Perth.

I’m very sorry it was necessary for you to change rooms, however it’s fantastic to hear this went smoothly and you were very happy with the new room.

Thank you for your detailed comments concerning the excellent service you received from all the Team, and especially our Adelphi Grill Team at breakfast.

You will notice some changes next time you visit. We are well under way with a major hotel refurbishment including a makeover to all guest rooms over the next 12 months. We’ve finished 2 floors already so please ask for a renovated room when you next make a booking.

Many thanks again for your lovely feedback and we hope to see you soon.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed August 19, 2013

A few of the recent reviews for this hotel are harsh and I can see some of the reasons why. The room I stayed in was a bit tired and had some of the problems that others have written about here: air conditioning not working well; grout in the bathroom tiles; and I had the shower experience I dislike the most - standing in the bath with those old curtains that seem to wrap themselves around you better than they keep water from spraying on to the bathroom floor. No toilet brush either...

Of course, these are all first world problems; however, the high prices of rooms at the Parmelia Hilton make these things hard to forgive. The hotel is being refurbished at the moment. I don't know whether that will include refreshing its rooms and I hope future reviewers will update us.

I would like to mention some positives. The staff are first class. They are quick to serve you and helpful - we even got an excellent dinner suggestion out of them. There is also a well populated taxi rank out the front of the hotel. And the hotel's location is excellent as it's a short walk to most of the important areas in Perth's CBD.

While the location and convenience is ideal for business travel, the room prices would discourage me from returning. Perth can be expensive but there is better value around the city.

Dear Aus_PM_73

Thank you very much for your review.

I’m very glad to hear you were very happy with the service you received from all the Team and that our excellent location in the CBD was of benefit to you.

We are indeed refurbishing the Hotel currently and will be upgrading all guest rooms over 2013, with 3 whole floors to be completed by the end of this month. These improvements will provide a fresh new feel and we are confident you will like the changes.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and we hope to see you next time you’re visiting Perth.

Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Having read a lot of reviews, I knew what to expect before arriving. The hotel is at least 20 years overdue for a refit. The rooms are extremely dated. Very nice bar/restaurant in the lobby with good food (I had breakfast and dinner there and enjoyed both). The gym and pool areas are also very good.

The biggest issue I had with the place was the $30 a day wi fi charge and $12 a minute charge to call NZ from the room. Hilton, the days of opportunistic overcharging for basic services are long gone - get with the times!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
gmperthhilton, General Manager at Parmelia Hilton Perth, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Tristan D

Thank you very much for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed your dining experience in our newly renovated Adelphi Grill. Our gym and pool areas were also renovated not so long ago and it’s great to hear your positive feedback.

Guest rooms are currently undergoing a makeover which will provide a fresh new appearance and we are sure you will like the improvements. We plan to update all guest rooms in 12 months and will finish 3 floors by the end of August. Please ask for a renovated room when you next make a booking and we will do our best to allocate one.

I am sorry you were unhappy with the internet and international call charges. These are monitored closely to ensure they are in line with the Perth CBD and your comment will be kept for review. Complimentary Wi-Fi is available in the Lobby, Adelphi Grill and Business Centre and we hope may be of benefit to you next time you visit.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you again.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Stayed here last week and was looking forward to a relaxing stay at a 5 star hotel in Western Australia. This was one of the poorest hotel experiences I have had for some time. I am actually disgusted that this place gets away with calling itself 5 star.

I arrived early in the morning (circa 11am) and was informed that there were no bedrooms ready and that I would have to wait - this was fine as I didnt expect a room at this time, especially in a busy city centre hotel. I was extremely tired as I had just flown across from the Middle East and the weather was atrocious - I was prepared to wait and use the hotel facilities until the room was ready. However, I had a small problem in that the hotel reception was not accepting payment from my credit card (this was very strange) to cover 'incidentals including damage etc'. I was informed that I would have to pay $300 as a bond in order to cover incidentals and that the room could not be released until this was paid...(the room had already been paid for a week earlier). I was informed of this again later when a room was ready, however I could not go outside to the cash machince as it was raining heavily in Perth that day (when it rains in Perth, it rains!). They refused me access to the room until I got the money, and quite frankly, made a fool out of me in front of a packed reception. (I remember the names of the staff members, but Im not that callous as to mention them on here as I would expect them to be severely reprimanded for a complete lack of customer service and understanding). When I informed the Duty Manager that it was raining outside and that I could not go to get the $300 dollar bond, she just looked over my shoulder toward the rain outside and shrugged, as much as saying that it wasnt her problem...she then had a giggle with her counterpart when I informed her of my utter disappointment and frustration of this episode. After 2 inutes, she then tried my credit card again and it worked... Quelle Surprise... I was not impressed with this experience.

Generally the foyer is the nicest part of the hotel, the rooms (2nd floor) are grubby, the walls are paper thin and you hear everything at night... phone conversations, partying teens at 4am and everything else. Also all throughout the night your heard a ringing noise from a plumbing problem, it started when a toilet was flushed. Come on guys, are you for real????????????? Dodgy plumbing in a 5 star hotel...!

Will I go back? - no, not after this experience. 4 star hotels in the UAE would put this place to shame.

I think you need to review customer service, your greetings to new residents, refurb your rooms and generally act like a 5 star hotel.

The porters/bell boys should teach the counter staff some manners.

Room Tip: Dont stay on 2nd floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank doscal
Dear doscal

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review.

I am extremely concerned to hear of your dissatisfaction with aspects of your stay and in particular please accept my sincere apologies for your experience at check in. It is certainly not the impression we would wish you to leave us with and we hope we may have an opportunity to make amends in the future. Please be assured your feedback is taken very seriously and has been discussed with the Team concerned.

With respect to the rooms, we are in the process of upgrading all guest rooms over the next 12 months as part of an extensive refurbishment program and we are sure you will appreciate the changes. Please accept my apologies for the noise disturbance you encountered.

Whilst I note your reluctance to return, we would appreciate an opportunity to change your impression. Please contact me direct on 08 9215 2000 or by email at david.constantine@hilton.com if I can personally assist with any future bookings.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Service was fine, but the hotel is tired and requires refurbishment. The air conditioning did not function well, and the rooms were basic and old. It is not worth the money, but maybe that is a factor of the Perth Hotel market.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Bec S

Thank you very much for your review.

So good to hear you were very happy with the service you encountered, however I’m sorry for any disappointment concerning décor. I’m pleased to let you know we are well under way with a major refurbishment program in the Hotel which will see a fresh new presentation to all guest rooms in the next 12 months. Our plan is to complete 3 floors by the end of August and we are sure you will like the changes.

Please ask for a renovated room when you make your next booking and we will do our best to accommodate your preferences.

Thank you again for sharing your experience.