“Will be good once refurbished”

Parmelia Hilton Perth
Ranked #17 of 65 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Having read a lot of reviews, I knew what to expect before arriving. The hotel is at least 20 years overdue for a refit. The rooms are extremely dated. Very nice bar/restaurant in the lobby with good food (I had breakfast and dinner there and enjoyed both). The gym and pool areas are also very good.

The biggest issue I had with the place was the $30 a day wi fi charge and $12 a minute charge to call NZ from the room. Hilton, the days of opportunistic overcharging for basic services are long gone - get with the times!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
gmperthhilton, General Manager at Parmelia Hilton Perth, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Dear Tristan D

Thank you very much for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed your dining experience in our newly renovated Adelphi Grill. Our gym and pool areas were also renovated not so long ago and it’s great to hear your positive feedback.

Guest rooms are currently undergoing a makeover which will provide a fresh new appearance and we are sure you will like the improvements. We plan to update all guest rooms in 12 months and will finish 3 floors by the end of August. Please ask for a renovated room when you next make a booking and we will do our best to allocate one.

I am sorry you were unhappy with the internet and international call charges. These are monitored closely to ensure they are in line with the Perth CBD and your comment will be kept for review. Complimentary Wi-Fi is available in the Lobby, Adelphi Grill and Business Centre and we hope may be of benefit to you next time you visit.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you again.

There are newer reviews for Parmelia Hilton Perth

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Stayed here last week and was looking forward to a relaxing stay at a 5 star hotel in Western Australia. This was one of the poorest hotel experiences I have had for some time. I am actually disgusted that this place gets away with calling itself 5 star.

I arrived early in the morning (circa 11am) and was informed that there were no bedrooms ready and that I would have to wait - this was fine as I didnt expect a room at this time, especially in a busy city centre hotel. I was extremely tired as I had just flown across from the Middle East and the weather was atrocious - I was prepared to wait and use the hotel facilities until the room was ready. However, I had a small problem in that the hotel reception was not accepting payment from my credit card (this was very strange) to cover 'incidentals including damage etc'. I was informed that I would have to pay $300 as a bond in order to cover incidentals and that the room could not be released until this was paid...(the room had already been paid for a week earlier). I was informed of this again later when a room was ready, however I could not go outside to the cash machince as it was raining heavily in Perth that day (when it rains in Perth, it rains!). They refused me access to the room until I got the money, and quite frankly, made a fool out of me in front of a packed reception. (I remember the names of the staff members, but Im not that callous as to mention them on here as I would expect them to be severely reprimanded for a complete lack of customer service and understanding). When I informed the Duty Manager that it was raining outside and that I could not go to get the $300 dollar bond, she just looked over my shoulder toward the rain outside and shrugged, as much as saying that it wasnt her problem...she then had a giggle with her counterpart when I informed her of my utter disappointment and frustration of this episode. After 2 inutes, she then tried my credit card again and it worked... Quelle Surprise... I was not impressed with this experience.

Generally the foyer is the nicest part of the hotel, the rooms (2nd floor) are grubby, the walls are paper thin and you hear everything at night... phone conversations, partying teens at 4am and everything else. Also all throughout the night your heard a ringing noise from a plumbing problem, it started when a toilet was flushed. Come on guys, are you for real????????????? Dodgy plumbing in a 5 star hotel...!

Will I go back? - no, not after this experience. 4 star hotels in the UAE would put this place to shame.

I think you need to review customer service, your greetings to new residents, refurb your rooms and generally act like a 5 star hotel.

The porters/bell boys should teach the counter staff some manners.

Room Tip: Dont stay on 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank doscal

Dear doscal

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review.

I am extremely concerned to hear of your dissatisfaction with aspects of your stay and in particular please accept my sincere apologies for your experience at check in. It is certainly not the impression we would wish you to leave us with and we hope we may have an opportunity to make amends in the future. Please be assured your feedback is taken very seriously and has been discussed with the Team concerned.

With respect to the rooms, we are in the process of upgrading all guest rooms over the next 12 months as part of an extensive refurbishment program and we are sure you will appreciate the changes. Please accept my apologies for the noise disturbance you encountered.

Whilst I note your reluctance to return, we would appreciate an opportunity to change your impression. Please contact me direct on 08 9215 2000 or by email at david.constantine@hilton.com if I can personally assist with any future bookings.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Service was fine, but the hotel is tired and requires refurbishment. The air conditioning did not function well, and the rooms were basic and old. It is not worth the money, but maybe that is a factor of the Perth Hotel market.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Bec S

Thank you very much for your review.

So good to hear you were very happy with the service you encountered, however I’m sorry for any disappointment concerning décor. I’m pleased to let you know we are well under way with a major refurbishment program in the Hotel which will see a fresh new presentation to all guest rooms in the next 12 months. Our plan is to complete 3 floors by the end of August and we are sure you will like the changes.

Please ask for a renovated room when you make your next booking and we will do our best to accommodate your preferences.

Thank you again for sharing your experience.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

I was aware the hotel was undergoing much needed renovations, so my expectations were not too high. We were in rooms that had not been renovated. They were clean and comfortable, but admittedly dated in decor. The hotel is conveniently located in the CBD.

The best was the staff. My wife fell and broke her kneecap and they had a wheelchair we could use, they moved us into a compatible room, and let us have the room at the standard rate when we had to stay longer due to my wife's surgery. They also assisted me in getting my reservations changed when we needed to change plane, car rental, and hotel reservations at our next stop. I cannot more highly speak of the staff of this hotel.

I used the gym daily, and I agree it was well equipped. I didn't experience the noisy air conditioning, but we were also visiting in the winter.

Once the renovations are complete, I think this will be a top tier hotel again.

Room Tip: It sounds like the lower floors are being renovated first, so go for a low floor number.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear RodneyLester

Thank you very much for your fantastic review.

It’s great to hear the Team rallied into action when help was required with your arrangements. We do hope your wife’s knee is very much better.

With regard to our renovations; we have actually started from the top and will be working down. Two floors have already been completed and we are sure you will appreciate the improvements.

So good to learn you were very happy with all other aspects of your stay and hope you will be returning to stay with us in the future.

Thanks again and safe travels!

Where to start.
Rooms were not cleaned properly, bed frame was broken, bathroom was disgusting.
Too much noise from other guests(paper thin walls).
Surprise surcharge for valet parking.
Rooms are outdated and staff were less than average, although they dressed nicely.
5 star price for a 2 star hotel.
Ive stayed at cleaner backpackers.
Would recommend the ymca jewel house before this.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank RandallCape

Dear Terrythetruckie

Thank you very much for your review.

I am naturally concerned to hear you were unhappy with your stay and I would appreciate an opportunity to address your concerns personally. Could you kindly contact me on david.constantine@hilton.com or on 08 9215 2000. Meantime, I have immediately addressed your feedback with the Teams. Please accept my sincere apologies for the poor impression.

We are well under way with a Hotel refurbishment currently, which will see a fresh new presentation to all guest rooms over the next 12 months.

With respect to valet parking; I’m very sorry for any misunderstanding concerning charges. This is usually explained to guests before keys are handed over and I sincerely apologise for the shortfall.

Thank you again for taking the time to write a review, without which we would be unaware of your dissatisfaction; we hope to have a chance to make amends and welcome you back to the Hotel very soon.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Excellent location close to the city and quiet area with very easy access.Good secure parking with excellent service and resturaunt.The pool and fitness centre are excellent with the pool being heated.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Mal R

Thank you very much for your review.

It’s great to hear you were very happy with every aspect of your visit and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Thanks again for your great recommendation.

Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Where to start!?

Well, after checking in (which to be fair was plesent) we proceeded to our room... I lasted less then 5 minutes before ringing to be changed.. It was foul, the smell of urine throughout the room and especially the bathroom was horrible. The couch in the room looked like it got picked up from bulk rubbish!

After being told they were coming to change us (15 minutes later) we moved to the 7th floor to a 5% cleaner version of our first room. The couch was still horrible!

Furthermore, on 4 occasions the airconditioning woke us up with a fright when it kicked in and shut off... Never have I heard anything like it, absolutly ruined our sleep.. What a terrible sleep!

Simply put, at best this hotel is 3 stars. The rooms are old fashion and dirty! Airconditioning is a joke (noise wise)! Rooms are tiny, mini bar ($6 for bottle of water) is a rip-off! Bathroom is horrible, cheap shower/bath combo with a rusty shower head!

I regularly stay at hotels I'm Perth, but will never risk coming back here!

Honestly what a disappointment after being so excited to stay at a '5' star!!! They turn over that many customers after being a 'Hilton' they will continue to charge what they charge......

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank bwade1985
gmperthhilton, General Manager at Parmelia Hilton Perth, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Dear bwade 1985

Thank you very much for your review.

I’m very sorry to hear you were disappointed with your stay and would appreciate an opportunity to address your concerns personally either by email at david.constantine@hilton.com or by telephone on 08 9215 2000.

In the meantime, please accept my most sincere apologies for any shortfall. We are naturally very disappointed you have left with a poor impression.

I’m pleased to let you know, we are in the process of upgrading every guest room and bathroom with a fresh new makeover and we are sure you will appreciate these changes. We plan to finish the first three floors by the end of August.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to have a chance to welcome you back and provide the best possible experience. I look forward to hearing from you.