“Nice Comfortable Stay”

Parmelia Hilton Perth
Ranked #18 of 66 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We had a 3 night stay, pretty good location, few blocks walk to Jacobs steps and Kings Park, and only a few blocks the other way to the city shops - it was clean and comfortable, needs a little updating, the room was good but just a little dated BUT this did not worry us, it was clean and quite spacious (queen room) and pretty quiet other than the hotel room doors and loud when the shut so if you have people leaving early or coming in late it may wake you BUT was not a big problem for us either. Business centre had plenty of computers, and the staff were fantastic. Speak house in the complex is pretty expensive, we also ate at The George just up the road, that was really lovely food and funky place. We had a nice little balcony. The pool looked great but we did not use it, we were to busy out and about, but it looked good... Nice hotel, great staff!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
gmperthhilton, General Manager at Parmelia Hilton Perth, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2013

Dear AusTraveller2007

Thank you very much for your review.

The Team and I are so happy you had a great stay and enjoyed every aspect of your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back next time.

David Constantine

Write a ReviewReviews (2,342)

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Was very disappointed with my stay at Parmelia Hilton. I had booked it because I was travelling with young children, not familiar with Perth had wanted somewhere with valet parking. We arrived after a 5 hour drive to be told and quite rudely too bad it's not available. Then I was told to go park it myself or told to use the street meter parking across the road but I would have to feed the meter every hour from 7am the following morning. Not good service at all. When I complained he rudely told me too bad it's only a service "if available".
I note that their website says "valet parking no self parking" and not "valet parking if we can be bothered and there's a spot". In fact no where could I find the words "if available" on their website or even on their sign at the hotel! Despite this the valet kept being very condescending and saying it wasn't available. Hilton should not make their lack of guest facilities their guests problem. I got quite upset with reception as I had 2 tired small children with me who did not want to be lugging our things all over Perth. In their defence the ladies at reception were helpful and made the rude valet park my car for me.
Have stayed at Hiltons plenty of times before and never experienced anything like this poor service, I will certainly not stay there again. I also found the room service food very ordinary, had a soggy very chewy Caesar salad and the decor is tidy but very dated. Not up to Hilton standards at all I'm afraid to say.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Brooke B
gmperthhilton, General Manager at Parmelia Hilton Perth, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Dear Brooke B

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review.

Naturally, I’m very concerned to read your feedback concerning your valet parking experience. It is certainly not the impression we would wish you to leave us with and I hope you will accept my most sincere apologies.

With regard to the parking facility and to explain; the Hotel does not own the carpark which is a shared resource with a finite number of bays. Inhouse guests are first prioirity for these bays and I’m very sorry we were unable to accommodate your vehicle on the occasion of your stay. I can completely understand your frustration and, especially so, given you were travelling with young children. This does certainly not explain or excuse the poor way your request was handled and I have reviewed your feedback with senior management.

Please also accept my apologies for your dissatisfaction with your inhouse dining. Your comments have been shared with our Executive Chef.

I would very much appreciate an opportunity to discuss your experience personally if you would care to contact me direct at david.constantine@hilton.com or by telephone at 08 9215 2000.

Again, the Team and I are very sorry and we hope we can make amends on another visit to the Hotel.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in February and have very often stayed in Hilton hotels around the world. Was so disappointed with this Hilton hotel - it does not deserve its 5 star rating. We had a complimentary upgrade as a Hilton honours gold member. The room was fairly basic and very tired looking. Definately needed a refurb. Same with the bathroom. We had a balcony but there was a table and only one chair on it! Hotel reception staff were very friendly and helpful. The concierge was not interested in offering advice on cheaper parking if you weren't prepared to pay their extorionate $50 dollars a day. We parked at a car park close to the hotel for $7.50 (flat rate) a day at the weekend. Roadside parking is free after 6pm till 8 am in the morning and free all day Sunday. We ate in the Aldelphi restaurant one of the nights - very poor service. We had finished our salads before they got round to bringing our drinks!! Sat the four of us beside the kitchen so we had to listen to the kitchen staff barking orders to each other all night. The other 2 nights we ate out in Perth and had a much more enjoyable experience. We were so disappointed in this so called 5 star hotel (wish I had booked a different one).

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
gmperthhilton, General Manager at Parmelia Hilton Perth, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Dear joanne w

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review.

We are naturally very sorry you were dissatisfied with aspects of your experience; if you can spare the time, I would be delighted to discuss your concerns personally on 08 9215 2000 or by email at david.constantine@hilton.com.

In the meantime, with respect to parking and to clarify; the Hotel does not own the parking facility and we are bound contractually to charge accordingly. As we know this is an important consideration for our guests, charges are monitored closely to ensure they are in line with the Perth CBD and our competitors. When compared to similar alternatives in the vicinity, our parking is comparable in cost and has the added benefit of convenient, safe, undercover parking with unlimited returns in a 24 hour period.

Please accept my sincere apologies for your unsatisfactory experience in the Adelphi which is being addressed by senior management.

It’s great to hear you found our Team to be friendly and helpful – thank you for making special mention!

We really appreciate your feedback and look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

I've stayed at this Hilton property several times in the last couple of years, and have always enjoyed my visits. As mentioned previously, the hotel is at the right end of town, and is no doubt the best placed 5 star establishment in the Perth CBD. Some reviewers comment that the hotel is not of 5 star standard for the 21st century, but that is probably part of its charm. Yes, there are flashier hotels in Perth, but I happen to like the striped wallpaper, the big lamps and silky off-white bed covers. And on my last visit in December, I ordered in the best lemon dessert I've had in ages. As always, staff were extremely nice. Can't wait for my next stay in June.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
gmperthhilton, General Manager at Parmelia Hilton Perth, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear Deanten

We really appreciate your loyalty and your fantastic recommendation – thank you!

All the Team and I look forward to seeing you again in June. There will be a warm welcome waiting.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stayed one night and breakfasted nearby. The hotel now has the plus of being very close to the new Newspaper House/Heritage precinct which has excellent bars and restaurants. Our room on the 10th floor had a balcony but no balcony furniture (probably available on request). The room was quiet in terms of street and fellow guest noise, and spacious with good provisions in the bathroom (at last a shower cap and face washer!) but we had a very noisy air conditioner. The staff are very welcoming, friendly and polite. The hotel has an 'old-style' look and feel which is a positive rather than a negative. Recommended for its location which is also close to shops, Kings Park, the Swan River. The price of extra facilities is a negative - $33 per head for breakfast and $50 for 24-hour valet parking.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with quiet air conditioning
1  Thank HookedOnTravel255103

Dear HookedOnTravel255103

Thank you for your review.

So glad you enjoyed your stay and our great location in Perth.

I’m sorry you found our valet parking and breakfast charges a disappointment; we monitor all charges regularly to ensure we are competitive and in line with the CBD.

Our valet parking is actually great value when compared to other options in the area, with similar pricing and the added benefit of unlimited returns in a 24 hour period; which many guests appreciate when exploring Perth.

As an alternative to our full buffet breakfast, a la carte options are also available at very reasonable prices.

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed February 27, 2013

My daughter and I both live in WA but outside Perth and needed a one night stay to go to the Convention Centre and found a great deal at this hotel. Excellent service, clean room with a balcony, comfy beds! We went to the Adelphi bar for a cocktail and the the bar man made me a Toblerone fabulous!! Again attentive staff such a treat. Breakfast was included as well very nice. Selection was very good and the chef made a mean omelet!! Very attentive staff. Location is really good as well. All in all a very pleasant short stay and both of us would return here especially when there is a special available.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear Mary H

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am so pleased to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. I will be sharing your comments with all the Team so they know how much they contributed to your overall enjoyment.

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel is thoroughly recommended for a stay in Perth. It has several major pluses:
1. The staff.They could not be more helpful; even though we arrived early (off a cruise ship) and the room was not ready, they apologised and provided complementary refreshments. All other requests were handled promptly, and with a smile.
2. The location. Five minutes' walk from Hay Street and its mall, 10 minutes from the Swan Bells.
3. The pool. A sunny pool in the CDB is the ideal place to relax. The high buildings round about shield the pool from the strong onshore winds in Perth; the parasols provide shelter for fair-skinned northerners.

We did not eat here (2+ weeks on a cruise ship had stuffed us to the gunwhales) but dishes served to others poolside looked beautifully presented and of hearty proportions.

Why not five stars? One or two issues with the room - the lack of a bright central light means one has to faff around putting on an array of lights to get sufficient light to read etc; and the layout of the room - the room door opens towards the mirrored wardrobes, which I nearly smashed when I opened the room door.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd floor are handy for the pool and spa. But ours was overlooked from the pool, meanin...

Dear Larry194710

Thank you very much for your review.

We are delighted you chose to stay with us on your recent visit to Perth and it’s great to learn you enjoyed all aspects of your visit.

Thank you for your detailed feedback including comments concerning lighting and room layout which we will be following up.

Safe travels!