“best location, old style” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Parmelia Hilton Perth

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Parmelia Hilton Perth
Ranked #17 of 81 Hotels in Perth
Brussels
“best location, old style”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

The hotel is probably the only one in the middle of Perth. Shopping is in walking distance. Service is wonderful in the hotel. but the hotel itself has come of age, the room I had was dark with no view. I would still recommend the hotel for the central location, the friendly staff and an excellent breakfast.

Room Tip: mine was not so great even though I have a HHilton Gold Card, I don't know if they have better o...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank Wolfgang- Joach... W
gmperthhilton, General Manager at Parmelia Hilton Perth, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Dear 1travellerBruss

So glad you enjoyed your recent stay and took advantage of our great location and hearty breakfast!

We are refreshing our guest rooms over 2013 as part of our refurbishment program and, in the meantime, have a range of different styles to offer. So please let us know your preferences when you next make a booking.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

David Constantine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed for three days from Feb 1-3 and while we did experience some positives, they were overshadowed by the negatives. I have written directly to the General Manager but didn't receive a response (which is understandable, I realise that senior hospitality staff, and services industry staff in general, staff can be quite busy fielding many queries, complaints etc.)

The good:
- The hotel pool is fantastic, clean and sufficiently sized relative to the hotel
- We were delighted when one of the pool cleaners took us out a couple of free, cold bottles of water while we were laying in some serious heat
- The gym facilities were very good and allowed me to keep up my fitness programme while "on the road". Please don't lose the free weights like some hotels have.

The bad:
- The $300 room hold was a big, unpleasant surprise. We have stayed at this hotel before (Australia Day 2011 I think) and can not recall paying $100 per night. Even after staying at prestigious hotels throughout the world, in New York, LA and Rome, I still can't recall a credit card hold of $300+
- We were told that the reversal of our credit hold may take up to 5-7 days... clearly not ideal at the start of a short holiday break when you need access to funds. Banks these days can do same day inter-bank transfers and credit card reversals so I was perplexed to be told that 5-7 days was normal.
- For the majority of our stay, only one elevator was functional. The result? Long waits in the lift well, and trips up and down the floors with a dozen other people that had no option but to invade your space!
- Our access cards failed twice during the stay. My girlfriend's card wouldn't access the room, and mine failed to get to the gym and outside area a couple of times. Mine eventually worked, but because it was intermittent, we had both our cards replaced.
- We noticed that on one day, our linen was changed, but the pillows were just crumpled up on the bed-head and our glasses from the night before (red wine) had not been cleaned/replaced.
- The beds were OK, but the pillows offered no support and I ended up with a crook neck for the rest of the trip... not fun when driving 1000km+ over the week.
- There were minor mould spots in the shower
- The valet service was hugely inconsistent which is disappointing at $50/day (we don't pay that in many central Melbourne CBD hotels). One of the valet staff was very responsive, pleasant and efficient. Others left us waiting without offering assistance - we had to search them out inside - and then were left to wait a fair time after placing our vehicle request to actually receive the vehicle. Perfectly acceptable in busy times, but it wasn't all that busy at the times we departed each day.

It is a shame that this experience will impact our future accommodation decisions when visiting my family in Perth each year. The location is brilliant and I'm fond of the pool and gym, but I can't risk getting off to a poor start again by staying at the Parmelia Hilton.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GrandmasterH
gmperthhilton, General Manager at Parmelia Hilton Perth, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear GrandmasterH

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a detailed review.

Whilst I note there were some great positives from your stay with us, including our convenient location, swimming pool and fitness centre, I am naturally concerned there were aspects that we could have done better and I’m very sorry for your disappointment.

The pre-authorisation of $100 per day for incidentals has been Hilton policy Australia-wide for some time. The credit card hold is usually released very quickly with the exception of international banks which may take a little longer. I am very sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Your comment concerning the pillows is noted and I’m very sorry you found them uncomfortable. For your next visit, you might like to take advantage of our pillow menu on the bedside table which is available 24 hours and offers a wide range of alternatives. We are confident you will find something better to suit you.

Please accept my apologies for any delay experienced in retrieving your valet parked vehicle.

Our guest elevators are being upgrade presently, with one completed and another very close to completion. I am very sorry for delays caused by these works which will offer a far more efficient service once complete.

Thank you again for your review. We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Parmelia Hilton in the future.

Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

We celebrated our wedding anniversary in 1night at this hotel.
Booked through Hilton reservation line, specifically asked King bed and not queen bed ( is there any 4 or 5 stars hotel still with Queen Bed???).
When checked in they told us they have upgrade us from king room to a Queen suite.
Room is very dated, old, stains in furnitures, and bed was queen bed and soooo old which my husband and I almost sunk inside of the bed( and is not the case we are overweight)! We had back pain from this bed...

Breakfast was like a "camping" breakfast or made up in the last minute at their steak house downstairs, weird.

Pool was good, decks and chairs. Didn't exist bar service, you need to go to corridor and dial reception for their bring drinks or snacks.

Price was $287 for one night with breakfast. Very expensive for what offered and bed was awful!!

Complaint when we check out and the reception guy told me as a "compliment" for the bed they wouldn't charge me 1.5% using credit card.
Wouldn't go back there ever again.
They need to learn what is a good hotel service, comfortable...

Lifts were been "repaired" so took ages all the time.

Location is brilliant, close to Perth convention centre, CBD, bars and Northbridge.

So overall wasn't expecting to be this bad...

• Stayed February 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
gmperthhilton, General Manager at Parmelia Hilton Perth, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Evelyn M

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review and warmest best wishes for your wedding anniversary.

We are delighted you chose to celebrate this special event at the Parmelia Hilton, however I am very sorry you were disappointed with your bed and suite. All beds were replaced last year with Hilton Serenity beds and so are very new. Please accept my sincere apologies that you found it to be uncomfortable and for your dissatisfaction with how your feedback to front desk was handled. Your experience has been reviewed with senior management.

We are undertaking a programme of refurbishment in the Hotel and I am very sorry for the inconvenience caused by the guest elevator upgrades; we have completed one lift and work is well under way to complete the remaining 2. Our renovations of the restaurant on the other side of our Lobby will be completed by April and breakfast service will return to this location in our exciting new restaurant, the Adelphi Grill. We will also be addressing your concerns in our guest rooms over the year, with a number already completed.

Evelyn, we would very much appreciate an opportunity to change your impression on a return visit. To that end, I would be delighted if you would care to contact me direct on 08 9215 2000 or by email at david.constantine@hilton.com

In the meantime, thank you again and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

I must admit I was a little nervous booking here after previous experiences and a long held poor reputation of this hotel, but this time I was pleasantly surprised with the renovations that have taken place. The staff offered us an upgrade to a King Deluxe Plus. These rooms are very spacious with a large walk in wardrobe and extra large bathroom.
The gym and pool have a modern feel and the hotel is well positioned.
One downside was the amount of time to took to receive our car from the valet parking. Lucky we were not in a rush
I would consider this hotel again

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear TazzyPerth

Thank you very much for your review.

It’s great to hear you enjoyed your stay and were pleasantly surprised by the changes since your last visit.

I’m very sorry you experienced a delay in having your valet parked vehicle returned to you; please accept my sincere apologies.

Thanks again for your feedback. We are delighted you will consider returning to stay with us again!

Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

Well located not far from the center (5 minutes walk)

Room very pleasant : good bedding, good tv and a nice mirror

Convenient: the swimming-pool and the sportrom are very convenient

The best: the service
--> free internet access in the business center with very nice employee (thank you Maia)
--> no problem to become a new shampoo
--> no problem to become ice cubes (my girlfriend hurts her foot)
--> no problem to leave your bags at the entrance

Thanks guys !

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
gmperthhilton, General Manager at Parmelia Hilton Perth, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Inconnu2430

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review.

It’s great to hear you found the Hotel’s convenient location beneficial and appreciated all of its facilities.

I am also delighted the Team looked after you really well; thank you for making special mention of the service you received from Mai in our Business Centre.

We hope you will be visiting us again in the future.

Safe travels,
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

The Parmelia Hilton offers great value for money in a city short on good hotels and professional service. Perth has the most expensive accommodation in Australia and many hotels in Perth take advantage of the shortage of hotel rooms and deliver very little in the way of valua for money - however I have not found this to be the case with the Hilton. It is in a perfect position in the city and is convenient to key businesses, restaurants and shopping as well as providing easy access to public transport as well as providing taxis at the door.

The hotel is an older style but has been consistently renovated and use of traditional style decor makes the older architectural style (bland 60s/70s) seem less dated. The rooms are comfortable and well appointed, with comfortable beds and tasteful furninhshing as well as ample hanging space for clothes and a good sized work area for those of use travelling for business. Bathrooms are well appointed with adequate supplies of quality toiletries and requests for additional towels and toiletries are always accepted and promptly acted on.

I have always found the rooms to be quiet with a good degree of privacy. The staff are friendly, professional and always helpful. Room Service is prompt - food always arrives within the ttime frame specified even during busy periods. I have never had any problem having my requests met even at short notice and staff handle these with a smile.

On the downside - I find it odd in thsi day and age that guests are charged for iinternet access - with a cost of AUD$15 per hour, with less for a dialy rate.

All in all a good place to stay in a city where most accomodation is overpriced and the quality and service is well below what you would expect.

Compliments to the Hilton and their fron of house staff - they are doing a great job.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sinabada55

Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience at the Parmelia Hilton.

We really appreciate your compliments and it’s great to hear you enjoyed every aspect of your visit.

As an alternative to inroom internet, complimentary Wi-Fi is available in the Lobby and restaurant, with complimentary internet available 24 hours 7 days a week in the Hotel’s Business Centre. We hope this may be of benefit to you for future visits.

Thank you again for your detailed feedback. We hope you will stay with us again next time you’re in Perth.

Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

Basic Room Rate $470 AUD - what a joke. That's nearly the equivalent of the Average weekly Adult Australian Wage. The hotel is Old & Tired (Decor/Paint), Smells its age, Rooms are small, Air Conditioning is Noisy - however the constant drone you can use to block out the street noise (poor sound proofing) you can hear other guests activities. It is almost quicker to use the stairs - lifts take forever. A fair portion of the Staff, whilst nice enough, cannot understand English and it is frustrating trying to communicate and constantly repeating yourself. The staff constantly try and shove the Hilton Honours program in your face and when booking on the telephone I was told that if I partook in a marketing survey I would get 70% of my next visit and receive a range of other benefits. The short and sweet - I was pushed to visit the USA and stay at their hotels in NY or Miami on their presumption - on saying no - they politely hang-up without providing me any details on the supposed offer and discounts for partaking in their survey and providing them with my personal information. As a seasoned business traveller, having stayed all over the world - this is up there as one of the worst experiences based on the $ spend for a very average hotel, that in my opinion would be lucky to achieve 3 stars when compared to others.

Room Tip: A tip to choose a good room is another Hotel that affords much greater value for money and better qu...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Kirk D
gmperthhilton, General Manager at Parmelia Hilton Perth, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear Kirk D

Thank you very much for your review.

I am naturally concerned you were disappointed with your stay and would very much appreciate an opportunity to discuss and address your concerns personally. I may be contacted on 08 9215 2000 or at david.constantine@hilton.com

Meantime, please accept my sincere apologies we did not meet your expectations with aspects of your visit. I am particularly sorry for your experience with reservations and will be sharing your feedback with my colleagues in senior management. I can understand your frustration and I’m very sorry for the poor impression that has been created.

Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you.