“Nice hotel in the CBD and close to the Convention Centre”

Parmelia Hilton Perth
Ranked #17 of 66 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed November 2, 2012

This is an old-ish hotel but it is reasonably well appointed. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Each room has a balcony, where smoking is OK, but because the hotel is smaller than the surrounding high rise office blocks, the winds whistles and swirls around, which was a bit chilly in October. I had to ask for a table and 2 chairs for the balcony, but only a table and one chair were forthcoming.
The hotel is within a few minutes walking distance of the Convention Centre and there are many restaurants and cafes nearby.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
gmperthhilton, General Manager at Parmelia Hilton Perth, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Dear mikemin

Thank you very much for your review.

Delighted you enjoyed your stay, though I’m very sorry we couldn’t provide some better weather for your visit!

It’s great to hear you appreciated our great location and that the Team made such a great impression – thank you.

We hope to welcome you back in the future. Safe travels!

Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed at the Parmelia Hilton in Perth for two nights. At Reception we were offered an upgrade to a larger room with a king bed for an extra $20 which we took, making our daily rate for a Monday and Tuesday night, around $390 for the room only.
Our bed was king but the room was 6.8 metres long and 3.8 wide, minus the 2.1 x 2.2 for the bathroom (actual size inside 1.6 x 2.2 metres). Not a large room at just on 25 square metres. By comparison a king bed room at the 5 Star Melbourne Westin is 38 square metres and costs an average $293 per night right in the centre of Melbourne.
The room had a desk and chair, two armchairs and a coffee table as well as a chest of drawers that doubled as a TV stand. Gowns and slippers were supplied but only one cake of soap for use at the basin and in the shower. The amenities packs included a shower cap but not a vanity pack and there was no spare roll of (single ply) toilet paper and no toilet brush (required for a 4 Star and above rated bathroom). The shower was over the bath with a shower curtain. Curiously, although the bathroom has a card exhorting guests to "think of the environment and be water conscious by re-using towels", the hotel hasn't bothered to be water-wise and install a dual flush on the toilet.
The bed was comfortable but the air conditioner was noisy and so we slept with it off on the second night.
The wi-fi was $0.55 per minute or $29 for 24 hours, or $145 for 7 days - a complete rip-off if you multiply those rates by the number of rooms in the hotel and subtract the actual cost of the internet to the hotel.
Valet parking at $45 per day seemed reasonable given the parking rates in the nearby carparks.
The only thing that this rather dated and over-expensive hotel really has going for it are a bunch of very nice, helpful and cheerful staff from reception through to the room maids.
Next time we're in Perth CBD we'll go elsewhere and see what we can get for $390 a night.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else for the money.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
gmperthhilton, General Manager at Parmelia Hilton Perth, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Dear Raedward

Thank you very much for your review.

Naturally I’m delighted our Team made such a great impression and I thank you for making special mention of the service you received. I have taken great pleasure in sharing your feedback with all Team Members.

Your comments concerning the guest room and bathroom are noted and I’m very sorry for any disappointment. The Hotel does offer a range of room and bathroom styles, so please let us know your preferences next time you book.

Room rates do vary, dependent upon room type and level of availability at the time the booking is made.

The Hotel was a finalist in the AHA Awards for Excellence last year in the Environmental Category and has a strong environmental focus. Whilst not dual flush, our toilets are set to minimise water use and we are gradually working through a programme of conversions.

Thank you again and we do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Liked it but expected more from Hilton. Breakfast was good but still not sure how i felt about dinner, i guess it was adequate but not as expected from a 5 Star hotel.
business will still probably book me there again, since the shortage of hotel rooms for corporate travelers., i will have to put up with it.
Service is very good.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank marlinajones

Dear marlinajones

Thank you very much for your review on Trip Advisor

It’s great to hear you appreciated the excellent service from our Team and that you enjoyed your breakfast during your recent stay; however I’m very sorry your dinner experience fell short of your expectations and I sincerely apologise for any shortfall. We hope to have an opportunity to change that impression on your next visit.

You will be pleased to know we have planned improvements to guest rooms in 2013 which will provide some fresh new features and, meantime, we can offer a number of different room styles so please let us know your preferences when you next book.

Many thanks again and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Having booked a room, we asked for an upgrade. At an extra cost of $25.00 we were given a large room on the second floor. There was a function going on the floor below. We did not make a fuss but it was very loud. Upon checking out I did jot down that I would rather they did not remove the $ 25.00 from my account. My husband received a phone call today to say they were very sorry and that the extra fee was not going to be taken. Thank you Hilton hotel. Steve and Paula Parker.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paula P
gmperthhilton, General Manager at Parmelia Hilton Perth, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Dear Paula P

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us recently; however I’m very sorry you were disturbed by the noise from a nearby event. Please accept my sincere apologies. It’s great to hear the Team looked after you so well and removed the upgrade charge.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

I'm amazed that the Parmelia Hilton ranks so high in the Perth hotel ranks.While the hotel is in line with a lot of the older style Hilton across the region, it is horrendously expensive for what you get. Rooms are pretty small by any standard and in need of refurbishment or at least a refresh to give them a more contemporary look. Location is goo if you want to be in the CBD but this comes at a price with parking price being pretty steep. Finally, the food for brekfast and lunch at the bar downstairs is pretty average and expensive even for Perth. If you are an Hilton Honours memeber, don't expect a lounge as there are none!!! Your money would be better spent somewhere else even though it has become exceedingly hard to find any decent accomodation in Perth at a resonable price...read $300 a nite.....

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
gmperthhilton, General Manager at Parmelia Hilton Perth, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Dear Myst_Belgarath

Thank you very much for your review.

I am very sorry you were disappointed with aspects of your stay. It is certainly not the impression we would wish you to leave with and I hope you will accept my sincere apologies.

We do have a refurbishment programme for guest rooms in the pipeline for 2013 and hope you will consider returning to enjoy the changes. Meantime, please let us know your preferences when you next make a booking and we will do our utmost to accommodate them with the many options available currently in the Hotel.

It is disappointing to learn we fell short of your expectations for your dining experience. I have passed on your comments to our Executive Chef.

I’m glad you enjoyed our great location in the CBD; it is particularly convenient for the Perth Exhibition Convention Centre, the shopping precinct, His Majesty’s Theatre and a number of tourist attractions including Kings Park.

With respect to parking, we do review parking charges on a regular basis and monitor to ensure they are in line with alternatives in the vicinity.

Thanks again for your feedback. We do hope we will have an opportunity to change your impression on a future visit.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Due to the convenience of its location, the Parmelia Hilton has been our choice on two of the last three visits to Perth. Having stayed in numerous Hiltons throughout the USA and several of their London properties, I have noted a significantly lower standard at this hotel in Perth. The rooms are quite small, and the bathrooms are a little dated. The breakfast buffet is perfectly fine and not atypical of the usual fare at large, city hotels. I had dinner at Adelphi twice, once on my own and once with several colleagues. The beer selection was good, and the service both nights was pleasant. The most unusual, and worst feature of the hotel, was the towels. The towels were some of the most worn, abrasive hotels I have ever experienced in over 25 years of travel. My theory is that when Hampton Inns in the USA have decided that towels are no longer good enough to put in the guest rooms, that the Parmelia Hilton scoops them up at a great discount and the towels get shipped to Perth. Seriously, I expect much more at $300 plus per night at a Hilton property.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank TJ H
gmperthhilton, General Manager at Parmelia Hilton Perth, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Dear TJH

Thank you very much for your review on Trip Advisor.

I’m very sorry you were disappointed with aspects of your visit and in particular the softness of the towels. As you have mentioned, it is not usual and I can assure you that brand new replacements are made on a very regular basis, as your comfort is paramount to us. I sincerely apologise that on this occasion we have not met your expectations and I have reviewed your comments with our Executive Housekeeper for immediate corrective action.

It’s great to hear you appreciate our convenient location and that you enjoyed your breakfast and dinner experiences in The Adelphi.

We do hope to welcome you back next time you visit Perth.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

We stayed one night and I'm glad we didn't book 2. We both couldn't sleep because it felt like there was no air in the room: We couldn't open the window and the air con was really noisy. reception seemed to have a lot of people working there but they all seemed busy looking at computers. I would have eaten at the restaurant but I was not sure where it was.

Room Tip: no idea whether there are good rooms i just wouldn't stay there again
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Therese N
gmperthhilton, General Manager at Parmelia Hilton Perth, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2012

Dear Tcarty N

Thank you very much for your feedback and the opportunity to respond.

We take our guest comments very seriously and I am concerned to learn that your stay was not as it should have been. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

Your comfort is my number one concern so I appreciate you bringing these issues to my attention and your review will assist in correcting these areas.

I do hope that the next time you are in Perth you will consider staying with us again. I would be pleased to discuss your concerns further if you would care to contact me direct at the Hotel on david.constantine@hilton.com or by telephone on 09 9215 2000.