“An acceptable hotel, but very much in need of a makeover”

Parmelia Hilton Perth
Ranked #18 of 81 Hotels in Perth
Sydney, Australia
“An acceptable hotel, but very much in need of a makeover”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

The checkin desk staff were lovely, as was the concierge. The shower pressure was great, and the pillow menu is a godsend. The room was neat and clean, but the rooms are in great need of a refit. It is certainly no longer on par with other Hilton hotels around the world. As a well priced hotel for a quick work trip, I have no complaints, but as a Hilton honors member, my expectation for the chain has been set much higher. Also, like many hotels that claim WiFi in every room, the reality is that it is charged at a ridiculous rate much higher than my wireless broadband plan. I can not fathom any hotel in a business district charging guests for WiFi when it is free at Mc Donalds. I will not stay here again until their antiquated rooms and WiFi charges are changed.

• Stayed March 2012
gmperthhilton, General Manager at Parmelia Hilton Perth, responded to this review, March 30, 2012
Dear JLR22

Thank you very much for staying with us at the Parmelia Hilton recently and for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor.

Whilst I am delighted our team looked after you very well, and you enjoyed the shower and pillow menu, your comment concerning the décor is naturally of concern. We have a range of room types available so I am very sorry on this occasion we did not meet your expectations. Many improvements have been made to the Hotel over the past 12 months including new Hilton Serenity beds, new carpeting throughout, refurbished fitness centre and pool, and work is ongoing. In the meantime, please let us know when you’re returning and we will do our best to accommodate your preferences.

With respect to internet facilities, the Hotel has recently signed with a new provider to optimise service. Charges are constantly monitored to ensure we are in line with the Perth CBD; however we will certainly take your comments into consideration for our regular reviews.

Thank you again for your feedback. We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Parmelia Hilton in the future.

David Constantine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2012

Stayed almost three weeks on a business trip. Had to leave for one night midway through (as hotel was full) and difference between execellent (presumably executive) room first stay and really mediocre standard room on second stay.

Perth is more expensive than Norway and this hotel fits within that theme.

• Stayed March 2012
gmperthhilton, General Manager at Parmelia Hilton Perth, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
Dear sjh2311

Thank you very much for staying with us at the Parmelia Hilton recently and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

I’m naturally concerned to learn you were disappointed with the room allocated for the second part of your visit. We do have a range of room types available, however I am very sorry we were unable to meet your preferences due to high occupancy on that occasion.

With regard to pricing, we strive to be competitive in the Perth CBD; room rates are dependent upon occupancy which was very high during your stay.

It is very pleasing to learn our convenient location was of great benefit to you and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Parmelia Hilton next time you visit Perth.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2012

I was lucky enough to be invited to the Cancer Council Research Awards, held in the Hilton's Swan Function Room.

The food was exceptional as was the service for this occasion and given the number of people, the staff were very professional in how they went about there business with minimal impact to guest speakers or patrons.

Highly recommend the Hilton for your functions, and Rebecca for any assistance

Dear lainey007

It’s so much appreciated that you have taken the time to share your experience at the Cancer Council Research Awards function held at the Parmelia Hilton recently.

I am absolutely delighted you enjoyed the food and service at the event - thank you very much for your recommendation! I have taken great pleasure in passing on your kind remarks to Rebecca and the Events Team. It is very gratifying to receive such positive feedback.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Parmelia Hilton in the near future. There will be a warm welcome waiting!

Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

The staff in the hotel were very friendly and helpful in this rather tired looking hotel that really needs an upgrade.Be prepared to carry your own bags to your room though! Good pool and neat little gym The hotel is in a good position in Perth as it is an easy walk to the main attractions of the city. Dont have breakfast in the hotel but explore the surrounds for the many excellent cafes where you can get a really good breakfast for half the price of the hotel. Probably won't stay there again as there are better hotels, for the money, in Perth.

Room Tip: WE did upgrade to a suite and were pleased we did as there was lots of space and we had easy access...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
gmperthhilton, General Manager at Parmelia Hilton Perth, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
Dear mcwheel

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Parmelia Hilton on TripAdvisor – it is very much appreciated!

It is great to learn our team looked after you so well – thank you - though I am very sorry it was necessary to carry your own bags. Whilst we were very busy at the time, it is still no excuse and I do apologise.

I’m delighted you enjoyed our newly refurbished fitness centre and pool. It’s also nice to know that our convenient location to the CBD and shopping district made your stay in Perth a little easier.

Thank you again and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Parmelia Hilton very soon .

Western Australia, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2012

We stayed over a weekend. Checking in was easy, room comfortable. Bathroom very 80's, clean enough but very small. Nice bed. Oldish, scratchy towels. Can wait ages for the lifts, which seem a bit asthmatic. Furniture in halls and corridors looks like stuff in a Salvo's shop.
Good staff, well trained. Like all hotels in Perth, pricey. Not bad, though.

1 Thank AndrewDarwin
gmperthhilton, General Manager at Parmelia Hilton Perth, responded to this review, March 15, 2012
Dear AndrewDarwin

Thank you very much for staying with us at the Parmelia Hilton Perth and for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor – we really appreciate your feedback!

I’m naturally delighted you found the room comfortable and the team Members well trained. I will be
sure to pass on your comments.

You mentioned the furniture in the corridors. Well, as a result of your comments we have actually removed all the items. Thanks for the feedback.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Parmelia Hilton very soon.

Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2012

I checked into room 615 of the Perth Hilton. Engineering had to visit the room because the shower backed up so badly the tub filled to the top. When the engineer left, he left the bathroom in disorder, including water on the floor and the bathmat bunched up on the tub. Second, the room was extremely dirty. Dust was all over the phone, pictures on the wall, the lamp, the desk, the nightstand. Mold on tiles in the bathtub. It appeared the room had not been cleaned in some time.

I stopped at the front desk to ask whether or not the engineer had fixed the issue in my tub. One of the staff who was a "journey manager" stated that it had been fixed and her colleague said it was "fixed to the best of their ability and a plumber had to be called in tomorrow". When I stated I am checking out tomorrow, I was asked (by the Journey Manager) if I wanted to speak to a manager. I said that it was not necessary and looked at them in astonishment because they had not asked if I wanted my room changed as a result of the plumber being called to repair the issue the next day. I also was puzzled why the journey manager immediately jumped to me speaking to the manager as a solution when I had not escalated a thing. I simply wanted to know if the plumbing issue was resolved.

When I returned to my room, the manager called me (again, not requested) and I informed him of all the issues. I told him that the Hilton does not appear to be ready for prime time and does not stand up to its US brand. Additionally, I informed him of the dust, the mold, and the condition in which the engineer left the room. I also informed him that the bed appears as though someone napped in it!

These pictures show it all. I go out of my way to stay at the Hilton as is demonstrated by my Hilton Honors Diamond Status. In Australia that is an expensive thing to do and, in fact, often an inconvenient thing to do. I might avoid the Hilton in the future.

5 Thank SMEMBoston_Ma
Dear SMEMBoston_Ma

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor – we really appreciate your feedback.

Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies for the way in which we handled the problems
you encountered with the bathroom. It is certainly not the way we should address these
situations.

Additionally, the way Reception reacted to your question was not done in a way that we expect
our Team to perform.

The Departments involved are aware of your disappointment and we have now had the opportunity
to implement some additional trainng to make sure this does not happen again.

We appreciate your loyalty as one of our HHonors Diamond Members and value your
feedback.

We hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back to the Parmelia Hilton.

We will make sure that you have a trouble free experience.

Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2012

Booked mystery deal and was impressed from checkin to checkout. We accepted the upgrade for an extra $50/ night and managed to score an enormous suite on the top floor complete with lounge/ dining room for $200/ night! The rooms were a little tired but given the price, the fabulous bed and the marble bathroom we couldnt complain.The service was amazing. Everyone said hello with a smile from the cleaners to the maintenance people. It made us feel really special! The food in the restaurant downstairs was great and I would definitely be recommending this place to family and friends.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank austraveldr
gmperthhilton, General Manager at Parmelia Hilton Perth, responded to this review, March 5, 2012
Dear Austraveldr

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay with us at the Parmelia Hilton – thank you very much for your positive comments on Trip Advisor!

It was really nice to hear that all the staff made you feel special ! We really try hard to make sure this happens and the Team will be very appreciative of your feedback.

I am also glad that you enjoyed the food in our restaurant.

Again, thanks very much for the positive feedback.

We look forward to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Parmelia Hilton in the near future.