“Can't help but overeat”

Neighborhood: Perth CBD
Perth, Western Australia
“Can't help but overeat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

Such a tastebud explosion, that I nearly made myself sick by eatng so much!!! We had beautiful fresh naan, chicken biriyani, buna lamb and paneer shishlak.

The interior could do with a freshen up (white chairs are not a good choice) but the food is so amazing most people won't notice.

• Visited December 2012

“Still good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

Once the best indian restauraut in Perth- I have eaten at all of them- it is still as good but the competition is hotting up). The bright lights ambiance may not suit everyone. Good staff and well priced (which is unusual in Perth over-priced restaurant market)

Visited November 2012
Perth, Australia
“Up and down experience - get the dosa and it will be fine”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Seemed to go downhill a couple of years ago by starting to produce some pretty insipid curries, its still. Bit hit and miss but the dosas are good and if you get the right curry then its done more authentically than most in town.

“Watch out”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

It is the enduring intensity and confusing obscurity of the illness which I and those with whom I ate experienced, followed by a less-than-appetising response from the establishment, which led to my second meal at Mela being my last.

I dined with a friend and my partner. We shared a range of dishes (and no other meals outside Mela that day). We don't know which dish it was, but there were some bits of lamb in the biryani which were too hard. I don't think anything smelt off, but it is always harder to tell with more aromatic food.

By the next morning, we were experiencing an illness like no other... and I have eaten through South America, Central America, Africa, the Middle East and South East Asia.

The nauseating effect was severe and lasted about 3 or 4 days. Between the three of us, we needed around 4-5 total days off work. In context, over the last 10 years, I have had around 7-10 days off work due to illness.

We all had very similar symptoms and agreed that the intensity of the feeling of nausea was much greater than all other incidents of a food poisoning type of illness which we had experienced. I make this point because we have no idea about what went wrong in what Mela served (usually one can come up with a likely cause) which is particularly disturbing bearing in mind the potential for health impacts on any visit to Mela.

After a few days, we called Mela. Their first response was to say that Indian food is hot and spicy...then it was said no one else had complained. After this, they asked us to identify the dishes we ate. (This is more nauseating than it sounds when you still feel substantially poisoned, although I think it was good that they asked so that they can hopefully prevent future poisonings of customers.) Finally, we were told to let them know 'when we next visit' and they will 'look after us'.

That is better than nothing, but in the circumstances it would have been more appropriate to refund our bill of around $130 and properly investigate the cause with real follow up.

I used to eat a lot of Indian food, but since this event, I think it will take time. Even if Mela had refunded our bill, I would probably be too concerned to eat there again, unless an explanation had provided some reassurance. Given that Mela didn't do a lot to deal with the problem, after we paid a reasonably sized bill and other immeasurable costs, it is basically an understatement to say that I am disappointed and feel nauseous about the thought of the place and when I see the pink Mela van around.

The first time I went to Mela, I enjoyed the food and at that stage had moderate to high hopes for continuing to enjoy it.

If half stars could be awarded, I would have awarded 1.5 given the earlier visit, but two would not be right.

• Visited May 2012
2 Thank Simon S
Melbourne
“Great Indian Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

Some of the most authentic and delicious Indian food I have had. A busy place midweek and the service was quick and efficient.

Visited August 2012