“Very, very average and in some respects quite poor”
Review of Oliver's on James Street - CLOSED

Oliver's on James Street
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We were very excited about going to this restaurant because the reviews were very good. Initially it was really good as we were seated at a wonderful table overlooking the street scene. The entrees were very good and I was thrilled about the next courses.

The mains were a total disappointment. My Argentinean Lamb (requested as cooked rare) was actually uncooked. In other words, some pieces of the lamb were literally not cooked on one side at all. I don't mean seared, I mean they were never actually flipped over and were red raw! Worse than that, the rest of the meal tasted really bland. Unhappy, I sent it back and they were gracious enough to replace it with a different dish. I selected the Pork Belly... or what was purported to be Pork Belly. This time it was over-cooked and dry. It looked like 2 square slabs of brown something! Nothing worse than dry pork. I ate some of the mains, but had lost my appetite by this time. What was interesting is that the accompaniments that came with the pork were the same accompaniments that came with the lamb... I think they might have a formula going on with some dishes!

Despite this we persisted and looked forward to the dessert taster plate. Ummm... well, pretty average for $22.50. Basically just pre-made delivered desserts with a slice of each plonked on a plate with 2 scoops of ice cream. Pretty boring and unimaginative.

And that sums up the whole place... unimaginative. Oh, and expensive (but it is Perth). $120 later (BYO as well) it left us wondering why we bother eating out in Perth anymore. It's not always true, but too often the service and food are average and the prices ridiculous.

The service was okay and reasonably friendly, but the waiters were mostly young and inexperienced. Perth restauranteurs continue to charge ridiulous prices for lamentable services.

Definitely won't be back.

1  Thank SimonsScreenName

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I love this place for it wood fired pizza and ambiance! The service is rather quick and efficient...with the fab food filling the gaps (if any) :)

Reviewed September 9, 2012

A wind down on Sunday after a busy working weekend with some friends - decided on the Northbridge restaurant strip. Oliver's fitted the ticket.
We ordered 3 wood oven pizzas to share (there were 6 of us) - the Maple Roast Pumpkin, Scallop & Prawn & Cajun lamb. A bottle of wine, and conversation.
All good - the pizzas had thin crusts, weren't overloaded (hate those soggy overdone ones), and the price reasonable for Perth.
Recommended.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

I came across Olivers as it is near my favourite cinema, there is a reduction of 15% with the cinema tickets. I have returned many, many times. I have brought my family and friends at different times and it is always enjoyable. It is not a restaurant for a romantic dinner but is just wonderful for a beautifully cooked, tasty meal with good quality fresh ingredients. The fish is always my favourite. The serves are generous and the vegetables wonderful. The wine list is not huge but there is always something nice. It is reasonably priced for what you receive and the staff are pleasant.

2  Thank teepee4
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Lived in perth for 6 months and this is my favourite spot, great food and ambiance and excellent veggie options!

2  Thank Katie M