“An unexpected and affordable gem”

Southern Star Perth Vietnamese Restaurant
Ranked #100 of 1,413 Restaurants in Perth
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Enjoy the stunning flavours of Vietnam, just a short stroll from the Concert Hall in the city. Southern Star Restaurant specialises in the finest traditional Vietnamese cuisine and provides diners with consistent, quality food and outstanding service in a relaxed contemporary setting. Open 7 days for dinner and lunch on Thursday and Friday.
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

Is was staying in the Eastern side of the CBD and used my trusted Tripadvisor to recommend a restaurant in this (somewhat) quit part of the CBD. With beautiful views over the Swan River and a modern and bright decor, I was pleasantly surprised. I had the pork spring rolls ($6,90) as a starter which was tasty and served with a small salad. I chose the hot plate duck which was served with ample veggies (I prefer to avoid starchy foods, and some Asian restaurants serve a few scraps of meat with a lot of source on a large portion of rice). The service was effective and very friendly. BYO is available at $2,50 per person, although I enjoyed a sparkling from the reasonable wine list. I'll definitely be back to try the fillet salad...

Reviewed October 8, 2013

We have been to the Southern Star twice in the last week. The food is excellent, the wine list and service are both good. The Hot Plate duck dish was one of the best I have ever had and the Ginger Fish was very good as well. This is not a romantic or luxury restaurant but it is reasonably friendly and efficient with excellent food at a reasonable price.

Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

We arrived without a booking Sunday night and were immediately accomodated at a window table for two. Service was prompt and friendly without fuss. Just mains were ordered, Pad Thai and Thai Green Chicken Curry. Both dishes were probably two of the best tasting Asian dishes we have had. The green
curry was perfectly spiced and tasted extra good, taking nothing away from the Pad Thai with a generous serving of prawns. We BYO wine and there is a $2.50 head charge which is reasonable. Highly recommended and can see why the place is rated so highly on this site.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

I visited this restaurant along with 2 colleagues and a client and was impressed by the experience. The service was pleasant and efficient and the food was very good. We ordered a number of starters to share (fresh spring rolls, spicy fish cakes and something else I regret I don't recall), all of which were quite tasty. For the main course, 2 chose Saigon chicken, 1 had scallops on a bed of vegetables and very decorative broccoli whereas I had a very tasty and quite spicy prawn pot which was a combination of decent sized prawns in a spicy, thick broth. Very tasty!

We also had a good quality bottle of Shiraz and a round of beers, all of which came to just over A$200 (approx. US$200 or £130). Good value, especially by Perth standards.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I had the chicken lettuce cups which where great and the stock standard basil stir fry which was very tasty. Overall everything we had was good. It's the best Asian restaurant I've come across in the area having stayed there for work many times. Worth a look I'd you want some good fresh SE Asian food.