“Short Stay OK......”

Ranked #8 of 12 Perth B&B and Inns
Napa, California
“Short Stay OK......”
Reviewed April 19, 2012

The location opposite Hyde Park and walking to restaurants and the City is ideal.
My room and bath were large and well appointed. However, the towels were thin and grey as was the washcloth which was not replaced after 3 days. More attention to details needed here. After traveling across the Nullabor I was looking forward to a "sumptuous breakfast" which was advertised on their website and in their brochures. These are obviously outdated. The brochure and website also feature a back yard swimming pool which somehow had vanished! The Pension B&B mainly caters to business travelers who are up and out early and happy to manage on do it yourself toast,with packaged jams, dried cereals, yogurt, hard boiled cold eggs and a very meager sliced fruit plate. At least some warm muffins, bagels, hot soft boiled eggs would have worked as a "sumptous breakfast". Not good value for money for a single person. I have stayed in B&B's all over the world and also am a specialist in selling and marketing them. The verandah out front as furniture needed updating and were in need of repair. A little more attention to these details would make anyone's stay more memorable! Steve, the owner was most helpful and sociable. By the way - a great Vietnamese retaurant around the corner!! Ask Steve.....

Room Tip: Out of the three guest rooms, the larger bedroom next to the dining room on the left is the best. Th...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Canberra
Reviewed April 16, 2012

My recent stay at the Pension was most delightful. beautiful surroundings. Beautiful hosts. Thankyou. Esmee Smith, ACT

Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Noumea, New Caledonia
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Great stay...very good value for money, great location, friendly service by owners, Steve and Hoon...simply the best bb! Hyde park is just across the street, beautiful park with BIG BIG trees. Yoga place (Om Yoga) just around the corner, supermarket within walking distance and just a short drive to the city. Highly recommended.

Sairak Mennesson
New Caledonia
March 2012

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2012

We stayed in the Brittany room for three nights and although the room was great and the bed comfortable, the ensuite was sadly totally inadequate - just a cubicle squeezed into the corner of the room.

Could have done with more fruit at breakfast rather than just a few slices of different fruits.

Location ok 15 mins walk to the local free bus into Perth (however, on a boiling hot day the walk seems twice as long!!).

Free internet access which was great, guests able to make tea/coffee all day.

Only one decent place to eat locally and that is the local pub - food good and Tuesday night is steak night which I think was around A$14, although all prices very reasonable.

Room Tip: Did not see any of the other rooms, but Brittany room very nice apart from ensuite. The room over l...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joyc9
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2012

I booked this B&B months ago, for a week. I was given a great room with a huge bathroom and huge bath, which was great having spent 10 days on a road trip crossing the Nullabor. My first impressions of the house was that it was very traditional in a quiet, leafy part of the city. The furniture is not my taste being quite dark and heavy, my room was quite dark. I was really looking forward to a bath, it was a spa bath but I wasn't bothered about that I just wanted a hot, deep bath, imagine my surprise when I was told that it would cost me $15 extra! Now bearing in mind that I'm paying $140 a night, and staying a week, I thought this was a bit of a cheek. How ever the shower was great.
I had a great deal of washing to do after my trip, which cost me $5 a time.
The breakfast I thought was not the healthy option but the sparse option. Why not put all the fruit in a big bowl so that guests can help themselves. Boiled eggs every morning? Why not give a choice of how guest would like them cooked. I would have liked some ham occasionally.
The leaflets about the B & B show a small pool, when I asked where it was Steve told me that it had been filled in, and the prices had been changed by hand, it's just little things like this that for the money, should be spot on and up to date.
I also found it very noisy first thing in the morning and was regularly woken up at 6 by clattering and banging about getting the breakfast things ready.
It is quite a walk to the city centre.
However Hoon took me for some dim sum one day to try and then dropped me off at Kings Park, and one evening when I didn't go out Hoon gave me some salad, an egg and bread for a sandwich.
Get a 16 or 60 bus which leaves the other side of the park to the city, from the bus stop in the street behind the house.
The pub around the corner Hyde Park Hotel does great food and Tuesday night is their steak night.
I have tried to be balanced about it, but all in all I didn't find it good value for the money.

Room Tip: Don't have the one at the front, I had a look in and it has a tiny en suite plonked in the corne...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
steve h, Owner at Pension Of Perth, responded to this review, February 29, 2012
Thankyou for your review. We would like to make some comments especially regarding the price of the accommodation. We find UK visitors especially feel the pain since the pound has collapsed against the Aus Dollar in the last few years, so $140 per night might seem steep compared to UK B&B's, but in comparison with similar accommodation in Perth we are well below average. Even backpackers in Perth are not much less and they do not include breakfast or free internet use.

The room you occupied is normally $155 per night for a single person because of the jacuzzi. because you did not request that room, we charge the same rate as the other rooms but expect you to only have a shower. That is why you were asked to pay extra if you wanted to use the jacuzzi.

We allow guests to use our laundry for a token fee because there are very few ( and far away) launderettes in Perth so we regard this as a great convenience for guests.

Regarding breakfast, we use to cut fresh fruits in a communal bowl, but it was messy by the time late comers arrived, so that's why we make individual plates of cut fruits.

The swimming pool is not advertised on our website.

We have a mixture of guests including business people and they need an early breakfast as well as tourists heading for a tour starting at 7am. We try to be as quiet as possible at 6am.

The room at the front with the small bathroom in the corner is actually the most popular room of all three. It has a bay window looking on to the park.

We hope you still enjoyed your stay in Perth and found our hospitality.

Steve and Hoon
Sydney
Reviewed February 19, 2012

A wonderful setting, close to the CBD, with restaurants in walking distance. This charming old home sits opposite the historical Hyde Park whose history dates back some 115 years. Along with a quiet neighbourhood this is a perfect setting for daily exercise or strolls.

Accommodation was spacious and well appointed.

I stayed for business and missed nothing an inner city hotel could offer. The hosts were ever helpful booking taxis and finding a spare razor which I forgot to pack. All this with breakfast thrown in. I will be going back.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 13, 2012

I highly recommend this lovely B&B in an old (c.1895) building opp Hyde Park. It is located an easy 30 minute walk to the city via William Street's many Asian restaurants, as well as a bus stop nearby. It has clean rooms, computer and wireless access, it's non-smoking. Fresh fruit with breakfast, which can be taken in the front room or on the sun-lit porch. Steve and Hoon are friendly hosts who clearly take pride in their work.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo