“Brilliant, you'll be hard pressed to find much better..” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Witch's Hat Backpackers Hostel

Witch's Hat Backpackers Hostel
Ranked #3 of 60 Specialty Lodging in Perth
“Brilliant, you'll be hard pressed to find much better..”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

This is really a brilliant hostel, me an my brother (20 and 21) are out from Liverpool and had stayed in a few hostels before this, this is by far the best.. The staff are fantastic, because they don't feel like staff, there more friends than anything (Gemma, nia) and management was also great (anthea), we made some really good friends here an though we've moved on we both miss it. I've read other reviews and a couple mention about it being like a family feel and it's a good way to describe it, it feels more like a big house share with good friends rather than a hostel with strangers. Great location, clean, lots of space, great atmosphere, couldn't ask much more from a hostel.. I've read quite a few reviews on here an people have been complaining about staff here even while I was staying here, this is a hostel not a hotel if you respect the staff they will respect you and do the utmost to help as we found while we were there.. Would go back to stay in a heartbeat.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank FryerLJ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Polish first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

I spent most of my time in Perth at the Witch's Hat. A fantastic hostel, clean, quiet, it seems to live in within little family. Particularly kitchen was always clean and tidy. Staff always ready to help for anything regarding the hostel and more. The Weekend Manager, Valeria was available and welcoming, always smiling and careful to the customer's needs. Really competent the rest of the staff. Also a big thank you Anthea, Nia, Gemma and the cleanings girls. The only downside is the two weeks maximum stay policy.

Room Tip: Ask for room number 1 and room number 3
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

This is a very nice place, here u can talk with everybody and meet new people. The supervisors are horribles, 2 of them are not kind and they don't respect the customers, if there won't be Nia and Gemma it would be the best backpackers of Perth.

• Stayed December 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
WitchsHat, Manager at Witch's Hat Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time and writing a review for our property.
We appreciate your comments about our customer service.
Our night supervisors take their roles in the hostel very seriously and try, every day to provide the best quality customer service.
They are very friendly, sociable and helpful and everyone gets along very well in the hostel that is why you can meet so many people in our hostel.
There is a warm and friendly feeling in the hostel.After a couple of hours they all become a big company. They all go out for drinks, have bbqs, socialize in the courtyard and play games.
Over 50% of our guests are return guests which means they are very happy with our staff and customer service and they keep coming back after their travels around australia or overseas.
However sometimes some guests get very comfortable and forget a few simple rules that we have to follow due to the fact that the hostel is located in a residential area.
This means that the courtyard closes at 10 pm ,no visitors are allowed after this time and any noise level or behaviour out of the normal (eg drinking, or shouting) is not tolerated.
If visitors or our guests wish to a have a big night after that time they have the option to go out at a park or at the nearest pub.
We respect the fact that our guests have paid their accommodation so they can get a good sleep.
We also try to keep happy our neighbours that have a life and are working the next day.
I hope this is of help and thanks again for the feedback.
Perth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

My stay at The Hat was really good. The nicest hostel I have stayed in Perth. It is very clean and the staff are really nice and helpful. I will definitely stay here again. The only downside is the 2 weeks stay policy but it keeps new people around the hostel. I would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank COB89
Perth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

Came on to review the Hat after an amazing stay and was shocked to see the bad reviews below. It seems like the maximum 2 night stay which was brought in recently must have annoyed people...

In all the time I stayed at the Hat I saw no cockroaches and thought it was one of the cleanest hostels I ever stayed in. Anthea and the night staff were incredibly helpful and polite. Yes, they do occasionally ask you to come inside at night if you are too loud, but it's to be expected because that way the other guests can sleep!

Personally I like the maximum 2 week stay rule as it keeps new people coming through because long term guests tend to be messier and less open to meeting new people.

The room I stayed in was really nice and I managed to sleep really well.

I love the Hat!

Room Tip: If travelling with 2 people, twin rooms are not much more expensive and are really nice!
Adelaide
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

I had a fantastic experience staying at this hotel-- I had to find accommodation very quickly (that night) and they had sorted out a room very quickly for me. The girl that checked me in was very friendly and helpful-- showed me where everything was (they have a laundry room and very large kitchen area). Their main areas are a pergola area between the two sleeping areas and the TV room and it was great to meet people from all over. On the last day, my check-out was quick and painless, with an offer to organise transport to anywhere I needed to go.

I think what I liked the most about this place was it's location. It's a 15 minute walk to James Street, where there are a whole bunch of restaurant and shops. That means it also close to the free CAT transport lines. The Northbridge Hotel is just around the corner if you want a great lunch, and if you need to go to the supermarket to pick up food, it's a 10-15 minute walk way. If anyone needs either emergency accommodation or somewhere for a short stay-- this is definitely your place! :)

Cairns, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

We rocked up after 20 hour flight to the hostel to a sign saying that the receptionist is in the house somewhere!! Just what we wanted after being very tired. Anyway we finally found her in the communal room lazing about. She then had no interest in anything other than taking our money and showing our prison cell room! We paid 80 bucks for this. Prison cell has more and better decorated! The bed sheet was 30 years old. Woke up to a bag full of ants raiding my bag in the morning. Kitchen was filthy and cockroaches wondering around people's food. The people there obv been there a while and didnt even want to say hello to you The bathrooms wernt too bad. Wouldn't recommend to anybody. It's a rip off!

• Stayed September 2013