“Did not meet expectations”

Maurizio Restaurant
Ranked #454 of 1,402 Restaurants in Perth
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Attended a function recently with a set menus. I had fish which was dry and too fishy to my liking. The entree was a soufflé which was very good, dessert was mixed, with the tiramisu bing the highlight, the crime caramel was not good and the other dessert, not sure what it was also not good. The poor staff were run off their feet and did a good job considering. Would like to try Maurizios one more time as others have raved about it - many at the same function did.

There are newer reviews for Maurizio Restaurant

Reviewed June 14, 2013

We had lunch at Maurizio and it was a delight. We were welcomed by Maurizio himself and shown to a table, the decor is comfortable and classy and the service was excellent. When asked for our drinks order my wife noted that there was no sweet wine available by the glass, no problem, a ranger of sweet wines were offered and they opened a bottle for her, poured a generous glass, and only charged for the glass. We both had the gnocci for entree, fantastico, really lovely texture and a beautiful sauce. For main we had the crispy pork belly, three large pieces of roasted pork belly with crispy crackling, potatoes and greens. For both of us two of the pieces were melt-in-the-mouth deicious, the third was just a bit chewy, but the flavour was real pork. Desserts finished the meal beautifully, I had the home made lemon cheesecake, my wife had the Italian custard with Marsala, prepared at the table, both wonderful desserts. We have been to several Italian restaurants in Perth, Maurizios is certailnly way up there in the top running. Maurizio himself came by our table several times to ensure that we were happy with our meal, we certainly were. Well done Maurizio

Reviewed February 26, 2013

I went to Maurizio Restaurant for a business function with a mix of colleagues and clients. We had our own private room with space to move around and chat with the other guests on the lounge area or at our seats. The flow and variation of food was impressive and perfectly timed.
It felt really authentic which I loved!
The service was great we always had a drink in hand and were made to feel welcome.
If you want to impress colleagues, or clients I would highly recommend this venue.

Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

.....that is, if you are Italian and or know to appreciate real Italian food. I am often disappointed of what some Perth restaurants dish up under the Italian flag.
Anyway, my wife, my little boy and I drove down Fitzgerald Street, wanting to have a meal at a random restaurant in the City. When we passed Maurizio's Restaurant, I told my wife that we have not been there for a while and that we are guaranteed to find free parking at the back. My boss agreed and there we went.
Welcomed by Marco (I hope I got the name right), the friendly Restaurant Manager I remembered from last time, we were led to a beautifully set table. You get the message right at the entrance, this is fine dining here, not your Chicken-Parmegiana torture!
I asked about the specials and they were conveyed to us in such tantalising fashion, we did not look at the menu. Which, in retrospect I should have done, I really want to know what other goodies they offer.
Anyway, as a starter we had a light broth with fine capelleti ( a type of tortellini, shaped like a small hat - hence the name one could guess - in a very tasty light broth with some added Parmesan cheese. Now this sounds simple, but the taste was absolutely fantastic. The capelleti, I was informed were hand made on the day. That's the sort of artisanal work you no longer find here in Perth, at least not at this price. The soup alone is for me a reason to return soon. Then we had, again recommended by the Restaurant Manager, glazed and crackling pork belly served with tender spinach and oven backed potatoes. Again, sounds simple, but believe me, if you thought only the Chinese can get a decent crust, try this one. The flavours of the meet, the jus, all was simply perfect. I had a glass of wine, again I do not remember what it was, I just orderer a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon, and it was an excellent drop.
My little boy gets a bit nervous in Restaurants, after a while, when he starts to pull skirts of other patrons, I know I have to go.
I had been to Maurizio a few times, and it was always very good. Just this time, they blew me away! There are only few of his class.
Enloy as long as you can......

1  Thank Alovertheworld66
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Visited Maurizio for lunch. The service was excellent, the staff were attentive and accommodating.

The food unfortunately was very average. I love italian but was not inspired by the food quality - perhaps just an off day?

Good location with onsite parking.