“poor beginnings....”

Oaks Cable Beach Sanctuary Resort
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Broome
Reviewed May 24, 2013

After initially losing $800 by being shafted with checkin.com.au going into liquidation, the resort offered me a measly 15% discount on a five night stay the day before my holiday was to begin. I accept that checkin.com.au going down was not the resorts fault however management could have taken a kinder stance.
So - I arrived last night (after 16 hours on the road) to my one bedroom apartment as booked - albeit upstairs. After dragging my luggage upstairs, I was confronted by a streaming toilet which would not flush. Upon ringing reception I was offered to either "stay in the room and have maintenance look at it tomorrow" or relocate to another apartment. Obviously I had to choose to relocate (um hello, the toilet doesn't work... what am I supposed to do?? Use the sink??) so after dragging all my gear back downstairs, into the car and back to reception, I was given the key to another apartment which lo and behold was directly opposite the one I was just in, on the same level, up the same stairs... Seriously?!?!?! Do you think reception could have just said stay where you are, we'll bring you another key so you don't have to cart your luggage all around the resort?!?!?!...
But it doesn't stop there!! On arriving at the new apartment, the tiling outside the door does not exist! Its nothing but plaster. And its the same on the balcony. Not to mention the bathroom fan sounds like an aeroplane on taxi, constantly switching speed. I'd heard that this place was in need of some maintenance but come on, this is just a joke!
But wait - there's more! I was woken thismorning to the sound of a door slamming repeatedly. Thinking this was just someone in the same block of apartments checking out, I didn't think too much of in until a neighbouring holiday maker came knocking on my door to ask if I could properly close the door to the hot water system, located on my balcony... Apparently this closet only had one door yesterday and although it must have had the second door put back on, whoever had done it, failed to lock it correctly and without a key I couldn't do it either.
So now I have to ring reception again to fix someone else wrong in the second apartment I've been in, in less than 24 hours... I'm here for another 4 nights - I'll keep you all postered on how this standard of "quality" and "enjoyment" continues... Or maybe management might grow a pair and try make amends somehow....

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank tinksbits s
HotelManagerOaksCBS, General Manager at Oaks Cable Beach Sanctuary Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Oaks Cable Beach Sanctuary. We do sincerely apologise about the inconvenience you experienced whilst in house and we are very sorry about the unfortunate situation with check-in.com.

It is very unfortunate that check-in.com went into liquidation the day before your arrival at the resort and it is disappointing to read that you weren’t satisfied with the 15% discount we offered. As you can appreciate check-in.com is an online travel agent with no affiliation to Oaks. A statement was issued from check-in.com to notify their guests that any existing bookings could no longer be honoured. Due to the unfortunate circumstances Oaks offered the 15% as a good will gesture and again we do apologise if you feel this wasn’t enough.

Unfortunately this post didn’t appear on TripAdvisor until well after you had checked out so I do hope that you were able to enjoy the rest of your stay with us despite the problems. In regards to the toilet not working and the initial room move I do apologise. I have certainly raised the issue with the front desk staff as this is not the normal service provided at the resort. If for some reason a guest is required to re-locate, a member of our front reception team will assist with the relocation, it is quite concerning to read that this service wasn’t offered.

We are currently undertaking renovations at the resort and due to significant delays with the project unfortunately we are behind schedule. We are currently installing a composite decking on all apartment balconies and entry landings and I do apologise that this wasn’t completed in time for your visit. I have raised the concerns with maintenance in regards to the balcony cupboard door of which I am waiting for further information and clarification and again I do apologise.

Your feedback is very much appreciated and I really do hope that you were able to enjoy the rest of your stay problem free. I do hope that we can welcome you back to Oaks Cable Beach Sanctuary again in the future so you can take full advantage of our renovated resort and facilities.

There are newer reviews for Oaks Cable Beach Sanctuary Resort

Reviewed May 5, 2013

We recently spent four days in Broome and had a very pleasant stay at the Oaks Cable Beach Resort which was conveniently located to Cable Beach and a short drive into the centre of town.We found the hotel to be good value- it was clean ,the rooms were excellent and staff friendly.The rooms ere quiet at night and pool facilities were excellent.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BryanM12
HotelManagerOaksCBS, General Manager at Oaks Cable Beach Sanctuary Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

It is great to read that you had a fantastic stay with us and many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay. We are delighted that you found our apartments clean and the pools and facilities excellent. It is also pleasing to read that you found the staff friendly and I will certainly pass your feedback onto the team. We look forward to welcoming you back to Oaks Cable Beach Sanctuary for another enjoyable stay.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

I have been to Cable beach a few times and scoped out the different hotels, this one was on the top of our list to stay at after walking through the grounds and seing the pool also loved that the rooms all had thier own BBQ's. Well it's not n list anymore! We just stayed there recently with an entire wedding party and I don't think anyone was satisfied with thier stay. One of the groomsmen had to move rooms 2 times due to toilet not flushing in one room and Aircon not working. Another groomsmen had no hot water! Our Aircon wasn't cold in our room either! The shower was a shocker with minimal pressure and the beds...Everyone had mentioned the bed! They are the worst night sleep! They are hard! Don't be fooled when you lay down on them when they are made, the only soft thing you feel is the Doona cover and sheets. THE BBQ's!!! Were all Filthy! Again this was brought up in convo with many other people staying and we had the same response. The iron was so useless in our room we had to go and buy a brand new one from Harvey Norman! This was passed around to others who had the same issue as we all had to wear suits etc.

The positives, it's a modern well landscaped hotel with one of the best pools you will find anywhere. It's huge with a little waterfall and not deep so very child friendly. Quiet at night with no noise and no partying. Lots of family's and friendly environment. Just down the road from the beach!

If they spent some money on the finer details, Matresses, appliances (irons), and ensured everything is in working order. Kept the house cleaning to a respectable standard and cleaned then BBQ's when people checked out this place would be up thier with the best. It has all the potential, when you see it from the outside you will think wow. Give it a go, you might have a better stay than us.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We do sincerely apologise about the issues experienced during your stay and thank you for taking the time to address your concerns.

It is very unfortunate that both groomsmen experienced maintenance issues and multiple room moves because of these problems and again I do sincerely apologise. We do endeavour to keep the apartments maintenance free however when things break or cease to work the best thing we can do is to repair these problems as quickly as possible and if necessary move the guest. It is a very unfortunate circumstance that the groomsman was moved into another room that had further maintenance issues and we do apologise.

In regards to the beds, I have forwarded your comments onto the appropriate department for further review. We do receive regular positive feedback about the comfort of our beds however we do plan to upgrade the mattresses at a later date. We do have brand new replacement items on hand if anything in the apartments needs to be replaced including brand new irons, had you have asked reception we would have happily replaced the iron in your apartment.
Aside from the above, it is great to read that you found the resort grounds and pools great and the proximity to Cable Beach was convenient.

We really do appreciate your feedback and despite the above maintenance issues did enjoy your time in Broome. We are doing our best to currently upgrade the resort and apartments and we do really hope that we can welcome you back to Oaks Cable Beach Sanctuary again in the future.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Stayed in a 3br Pavillion over Easter, and whilst we were informed there was a lack of staff over Easter and rooms wouldn't be serviced but we still had issues. Upon check in we had a lovely outdoor entertaining area with BBQ - it was all filthy and unusable. Leaves everywhere, sand, dusty and was in need of some maintenance. Also during our stay the fridge leaked water all over the floor, as there was a delay to get this fixed we ended up cleaning up the large amount of water. Severe lack of lighting in one of the bathroom's so had to shower with the door open! Breakfast was great, the pool area was under maintenance but still usable. Overall this was my 4th stay and the property is getting very run down, with maintenance being a slow fix. Going back to Broome this week and staying elsewhere - I just don't want these problems whilst trying to enjoy Broome.

Room Tip: I prefer to stay upstairs - downstairs BBQ areas don't seem to be cleaned that well.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. It is disappointing to read that your stay with us did not meet your expectations or ours. We do apologise over the Easter weekend that there was limited Housekeeping services and we did notify our guests of these changes. Letters were issued with all arrival packs and we did notify all guests on check in that should you require any towels or amenities to call reception and we would happily bring some to their room.

In regards to the cleanliness of your apartment we do sincerely apologise. I have passed your feedback onto our Housekeeping Manager for further review. We do encourage guests to notify reception of any maintenance issues so we can rectify them as quickly as possible and we do apologise about your leaking fridge and unchanged light globe.

It is great to read that you did enjoy breakfast in our restaurant. We are currently working hard to upgrade the resort and we are regularly receiving great feedback about the upgrades and changes we are making to the property. We do hope to welcome you back to Oaks Cable Beach Sanctuary again to take full advantage of our property improvements.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

This is our fifth time here and we were delighted with the standard of the accommodation. Check in for our ten day stay was smooth and reception staff managed to give us our preferred room. Room was clean and well stocked with bathroom needs. Gardens were beautiful and no rubbish left laying around. Pool was clean and lots of sun lounges. A great stay and will certainly be back

Room Tip: Ask for a room around the pool
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Maryanne H

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are delighted to read that you are a five time repeat guest and again you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. We are very happy that you were given your preferred room type and found the grounds and gardens beautiful. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Oaks Cable Beach Sanctuary for a sixth visit.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

After booking the Oaks, and then reading the reviews we were a little nervous about staying. Upon arrival we were greated by Sarah on reception who was really lovely and very helpful. The gardens and pools were beautiful, and our room was also really lovely and spacious, BUT, the housekeeping lets the property down something terrible. The dinning table and fruit bowl were covered in dust, the floors were terrible, obviously hadnt been washed properly, the bathroom tiles were dirty, drapes covered in dust and the list goes on. We stayed three nights and never saw a housekeeper the entire time, even though on our information sheet it stated that our room would be serviced daily. It is such a shame about the house keeping, as the staff, particularly Sarah, Hayley (also on reception) and the lovely waitress who served us breakfast are all so lovely. The position is great, it is quiet, there was maintenance happening, but didnt bother us at all, its just a short stroll to the beach and restaurants, all in all, its a great place to stay and ticks all the boxes except for the poor housekeeping. I would stay again, however I would be insisting on a clean room, or taking my rubber gloves and bleach with me.!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelManagerOaksCBS, General Manager at Oaks Cable Beach Sanctuary Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Many thanks for providing feedback from your recent stay with us. We do sincerely apologise that you didn’t receive any servicing during your stay with us and found the room to be unclean. Unfortunately without any further details I am unable to follow up on the concerns raised however I have passed your feedback onto our Housekeeping Manager for further review.

It is great to read though that you did enjoy your stay and found the property great and our staff to be lovely and very helpful, I have passed your feedback onto the Front Office and Restaurant team. Again, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, it is very much appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back to Oaks Cable Beach Sanctuary.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Our son moved to Broome for work, so we came for a look see. Would come back to Broome in a heart beat for a holiday.

Upon arrival I was greeted by a very friendly receptionist everything was explained in full, I arranged a late check out (flight @ 5pm) was only an extra $50.00 which I thought was very reasonable. We enjoyed the resort because it was quite, but this is not for everyone.

The only negative thing I have to say is the water in the bathroom for showering was too cold.

Room Tip: Our room was very satisfactory, we chose not to have housekeeping for the 3 days that we were here...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Terri C

Many thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is great to read that you were able to take advantage of a late check out and I have passed your feedback onto our Front Office team. We look forward to welcoming you back to Oaks Cable Beach Sanctuary again soon!