“do not give them your business... Order lost, rude manager, customer service from owner despicable”
Review of Shady Lane Cafe

Shady Lane Cafe
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Broome
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A friendly cafe situated in the outdoors in Broome.Open 0700 hrs 7 days for an all day breakfast and for lunch and during the week remaining open for afternoon teas. The only table service cafe in Chinatown. Daily Specials and fresh salad choices.We take pride in the fact we are not a fast food outlet with pre cooked bain marie type produce. During busy days delays may be experienced as all food is cooked once orders are received.
Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

Staff were friendly, manager not so much.

Asked for a BLT minus tomato, 45 mins later everyone's food arrived except mine... the waitress asked if I ordered anything, so straight away we knew the order was lost. When we complained and asked for it to be reflected in the bill the manager came over to discuss. Her rude reply was "we're not taking it off the bill that's for sure, It's just the way it is".
It finally arrived 10 minutes after WITH tomato.

When paying for the bill my wife asked where the discount was. It wasn't reflected at all. After discussion with the manager and owner they refused to give a discount claiming "did you or did you not get your BLT". Despicable customer service. Would give it minus -5.

As a side note, the food is incredibly Boring and uninspiring.

DO NOT GIVE THESE PEOPLE YOUR BUSINESS.

1  Thank Craig V
ShadyLaneCafe, Owner at Shady Lane Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

I acknowledge the following in response to the recent review by Craig V, somewhere the order was not relayed correctly to the chef and indeed the order was sent to the table without the BLT.The waitperson once realizing there was an error immediately informed the kitchen and the chef set about rectifying the oversight. The waitress returned to the table again offering up her apologies and the Manager also visited the table with an apology .I assume your wife then snapped that the food should be free. At no stage was the manager rude nor has she been known to ever be rude. As the table presented to pay the bill I would suggest that the demeanour was far from civil although all the order was filled and consumed (granted one dish was 5 mins later than the rest) The other customers who witnessed the episode pan out and to them we are thankful, were very enthusiastic in making it known that they considered our handling of the situation fair and proper. To the older lady that made a few suggestions, they were noted but in this day and age we could end up in Jail if we responded in such a manner .

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Dear owner of Shadey Lane Cafe, I was at your cafe on Monday 1 April not the day before.

I did my review whilst I was actually waiting for my bacon and egg sandwich.

We ordered 2 coffees and one bacon and egg sandwich ONLY - NO steak sandwich with our order at all - so you are responding to someone else.

At the time I was at your cafe there was one family sitting in the cafe. Please check your details before responding.

What I will say is that my husband said it was a Great bacon and egg sandwich - nice and hot - which is probably because the order was forgotten and had to be made quickly on being reminded that we were still waiting for it.

ShadyLaneCafe, Owner at Shady Lane Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

we take all reviews very seriously and encourage patrons to post a review so we can see our strengths and where we need to improve. I asked the manager to revisit the POS tapes for the 1st of april but she was unable to find any order for 2 coffees and a bacon & egg sandwich ONLY. Thinking she was mistaken I also reviewed the computer day journals and kitchen tapes but I also could not find an order for 2 coffees of any description married up with a bacon and egg sandwich. I then checked the chef who could not recall an issue with a misplaced order or an order that went astray. She was adamant that nothing had been brought to her attention where an order had to be filled immediately. If you care to email the cafe directly with an approximate time that you attended I will check the POS system again so I can address any issues that may have occurred. We also are just like anyone else and arent overly fond of lengthy wait periods for our food when we dine out. As always we want to see all our customers go away well pleased with our little cafe.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

This cafe used to be great, then it wasn't, then it got new owners (my timeline might be wrong). So the dear and I gave it a shot. Or at least attempted to. We sat in a reasonably empty shady lane (the way I like it), which looks much better than it once did. At this point I was reasonably happy, like the good old days. We were given the menus and left to mill over them. I was told to look at the sambos, but I glanced and decided against, in inspired and not worth it. So then I looked at the eggs benidict, my judge of a good breakfast cafe. I can not remember the exact price but I was gobsmacked, and I am a local who is used to being ripped of at cafes. the dear came to the same conclusion. But it was tranquil there, so we decided to order a juice instead of food. However, wether it was because we sat as far from the physical cafe as possible, or because of laziness, our waitress took some time to take our order. Once ordered, our juices took aprx. 20 mins to make. We had a direct eyeline to the juice bar and we could see how slow she was. She had one order before us, but still managed to be the slowest juicer ever.
When the juice finally came it was too thick and over sweet. Certainly not worth the ungodly amount of money that I paid.
Disheartened, I went across the road to the Kool Spot and had a great, prompt breakfast.

It should be noted that I did not eat the food, it could have been sublime, but I was not prepared to pay the price, even if it was great. But judging from the hardest thing to stuff up (a juice), no dice.

ShadyLaneCafe, Owner at Shady Lane Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

What an extraordinary review franque, for the record

Eggs Benedict

Shady Lane (420ml) $7.50
Indianas (300ml) $7.00

Enough said really

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Try the Toasted Breakfast Sandwich, it's yummy. I went to this cafe 3 days in a row on a recent visit to Broome and had their great coffee and breakfast. Great service, friendly, fast and a very pleasant location in the heart of Chinatown. Definitely recommended

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Went here yesterday for a steak sandwich. Nice shady spot in chinatown and the meal was average but we waited 40minutes for the food and even longer for juice... Enough said.

ShadyLaneCafe, Owner at Shady Lane Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

We thankyou for your review and am sorry that you consider the time taken to deliver your food was unacceptable. I have responded to your companion also in their review entitled "very long wait"