“When in Broome...!”
Review of Zoo Bar and Cafe - CLOSED

Zoo Bar and Cafe
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Zoo bar and Cafe combines the Old Zoo Cafe and Zeebar into one building. This provides an awesome atmosphere whether you want relaxed dinning out on the deck or Tapas and live music in the bar area. We are open from 7am to 12pm Monday to Saturday and 7am till 10pm on Sundays. We offer Breakfast from 7am to 12pm every day. Lunch from 12pm till 5:30pm and Dinner from 5:30pm till late dialy. Tapas are available from the bar 3pm till 12pm on weekdays and 12pm till close on weekends. There is live Music every Wednesday, Friday and Sunday night.Mondays: Mad Mondays, half price TapasTuesdays: Trivia TuesdaysWednesdays: Members night with live music from 6:30pmThursdays: $12 Pizza NightFridays: After work drinks with Live Music from 9pm Saturdays: Ladies Night, $10 Cocktails in the barSundays: Cider Sundays!
Bay Roberts, Canada
“When in Broome...!”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Been travelling internationally for 4 years and recently had a chance to visit Broome, West Australia for the first time. It was business related and some work friends suggested we go out. They are from Perth, and when I asked, they recommended "The Zoo!". With coveralls/work boots in my luggage I was lucky to have a sensible outfit to wear. The dress code permitted my flip flops (thongs for the Aussie's) with jeans and t-shirt, but there were some "serious players" dressed to the "nine's" in the wine bar section.

Walking up I noticed the kitchen was fitted with windows and you could watch the chef inside, liked that! We were seated in a timely manner, servers were polite & eager to help us with our order, the servers always smiled, we were pro-offered the list of the evenings specials, wine list, drink list. The atmosphere was excellent and the meal was GREAT! I had the grilled barramundi with potatoe cake and salad. Honestly, I haven't sat for a meal service that good in a VERY long time!

I have three more days in Broome and look forward to another visit. I recommend this spot to anyone.

• Visited February 2013

Port Hedland, Australia
“Amazing tapa's meals, cocktails and deserts!!!”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Arrived at 7pm on a saturday night with no tables available however we were offered a seat in the lounge where we could order some tapa's and drinks. We ordered a delicous platter to share, some chips for my nephew ad a few cocktails.... all delicious and reasonably priced with no massive wait. Just as our platter and drinks had finished we were offered a table and served speedily, our meals and additional cocktails were prepared very efficiently and all beautiful except for the small issue we had with one of our meals which was rectified immediately. Lastly we decided to indulge as it was our last night in broome and ordered desert, the most amaizing parfait Ive had in my life, we ordered one to share but had to order another as it was too delicious to share... In summary, will be back and would definately reccomend.

• Visited October 2012
“Quality food when quiet, poor when a bit busy”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

On first visit for breakfast I got the Zoo vego with eggs and was outstanding. I got water on arrival drink order taken then food order taken and breakfast was fast and a good quality. The main attention to detail of not soaking the bread with the bed of spinach on the sourdough was done perfect, the spinach was still hot but not soaking wet for the bread and the asparagus was cooked perfect.

Second visit I would say there were a few people in but not enough to to be rushed. I arrived and waited 5 minutes (understandable) when drink order was taken was given no water, coffee took too long and was cold. I got the same vego again but with bacon and sausage, it was quick and ordered a coffee on arrival. The bread was soaking wet from the spinach, the asparagus was missing, the tomato and mushrooms were cold, the bacon was overdone, one of the poached egg whites was raw and the coffee took well over 10 minuets to get to me and was not a 'skinny' latte (I think they thought I wouldn't notice or didn't listen on the order).

When you come to a place and pay $33.50 for two coffees and a breakfast you expect quality for high prices its not hard because if its your job then you have no excuse. I looked in the kitchen and there were two cooks on and I could see its was disorganization. I could see the breakfasts under the bain marie for too long waiting for ingredients that should have been started earlier. I'm not a chef but everyone cooks and understands the basics you should be at least be able to execute as a professional preparing basic breakfasts.

Will make sure its not busy on next visit to get a quality breakfast otherwise I will walk away.

• Visited January 2013
“Lovely lunch”
Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

Had a great lunch at the Zoo! The food was great, value for money and the service was excellent very pleasant! Would highly recommend!

Perth Western Australia
“Dear oh Dear........”
Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

We made a reservation and arrived expecting great things as the previous Zoo Cafe used to be fantastic!
What's gone wrong here?
Is it the large premises? Inexperienced and "ho-hum" staff and a poor, frustrated Manager desperately trying to fix things?
Our mains were produced before we had seen our entree - and things went downhill from there!
We requested the mains be returned the kitchen and our shared entree produced.
Amid millions of apologies by our waitress and the duty manager, this was done.
The Outback Platter was pretty good-not bad. We thought we were "back on track".,.
The mains arrived. My husband's steak he said was "good" but the limp, accompanying leaves were clearly off the earlier returned plate and at $40+ dollars became a joke!
My pasta was, despite the manager's assurances otherwise, definitely reheated and revolting. It was the first time ever anywhere I actually couldn't eat my meal and asked for it to be taken away!
I was offered "anything from the menu" as compensation and chose a cheese platter as I felt that couldn't be destroyed. It was okay.
Whilst we were there, we were disappointed to hear other diners having similar woes to ours with courses being forgotten and food being returned to the kitchen!!!
We felt for the manager who was kept busy offering compensation and taking things off bills etc all night!
Our not-too-bright waitress even made the understatement that she was having a "bad night" and that usually she only had a "couple of" upset diners - not lots like the night we visited!!!!
What a shame! We were very much looking forward to our meals based on our previous experience-admittedly some years ago and also from reviews on Trip Advisor.
One of the most disappointing nights out ever-anywhere!!
I must add that we only paid for our wine and the steak dish - manager's insistence.
Wouldn't it be far better though for Zoo Bar and Cafe to spend money and time training their staff so guests are happy to pay for their dining experiences?