“Great Place, Good facilities and Clean”

Cable Beach Backpackers
Ranked #11 of 29 Specialty Lodging in Broome
Reviewed November 25, 2006

I loved the place. When I stay at backpackers I usually dont expect much as long as its clean, I'am happy. I thought this place was great value. It was clean and well kept , its not glamorous like a hotel but I dont like that type of backpackers anyway they're too cold and clinical. They offer free buses to town. Just about every night there is something on offer which is free or you can win like hotdogs, sausage sizzles or double your drink order for free. Great atmosphere ... really cruisey mostly all the people staying there are international. The only bad thing was that it was hot, but it was hot everywhere in Broome!!!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank TravellingOzSlowly
There are newer reviews for Cable Beach Backpackers

Reviewed September 9, 2006

What a dive for $65 per night! Bed so squeaky it woke me up to turn over (even heard through the wall from the next room), no privacy in a "private double room" thanks to bamboo blinds on windows, AC sounded like a plane landing, fan only worked at cyclone speed, tin dishes to rent were RUSTY, thin metal roof with fighting possums woke me up in the middle of the night all three nights, bathrooms dirty and covered in hair, blinding security light in hallway outside my room came on at all hours of the night.....should I go on??? I would have moved rooms, had there been any in Broome available -- seriously considered renting a car and sleeping in it just to get away! For $5 more last year on the Gold Coast, I had a fully equipped one bedroom apartment right across the street from the beach -- what a difference!

Stayed: July 2006
5  Thank AussieHeart
Reviewed October 20, 2004

Stayed here in June of `03...One of the best hostels in OZ..very friendly vibe..clean, basic, nice little pool, and best of all location!! 5 min walk to one of the best beaches and probably the best sunsets in all of Australia. Broome-Cable Beach was by far my favourite place in all of Australia.

5  Thank tragicallyhip
UK
Reviewed May 6, 2004

One of the best backpackers Ive stayed in. Friendly relaxed atomsphere and the staff were helpful and friendly. The place was clean, extremely clean and well maintained. It was well priced and represented good value as there were heaps of free meals and cheap beers at the bar. It was easy to meet new travellers and had a real social vibe. Its not far out of town only 5 kms but they run a free bus about 5 times a day into town and you can catch a town bus that runs every 1/2 hour. But he real attraction is that you can walk to the beach as many times as you like because its only a stones throw away from what I think is the best beach I have ever seen. I walked down and had beer watching a sunset with just about everyone in the backpackers each night, just an unbeliveable experience. Great place and well run - loved it and would highly recommend it.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
UK
Reviewed May 3, 2004

Spent two of the best months in Australia at the CBB in Broome.

The boys at the backpackers were fantastic. Being ex kimberly guides with a wealth of knowledge, they always pointed myself and my helpless friends in the right direction.

The atmosphere was really cool and social. with-in the first twenty four hours you knew everyone, Lots of free stuff, large screen movies , blah, blah blah.

Also one of the guys runs a really cheap but fantastic northern beaches day tour, (Northern Exposure)

Do yourself a favour and remember " its all good"

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 29, 2004

Myself and my girlfriend were not impressed with this backpackers. Most of the all male staff were only interested in single young females.
There wasn't a very friendly vibe here at all. The room we had was clean and adequate but windowless and dark. The pool is too small to swim in but it is close to cable beach. They make you pay for boogie/surf board hire but that comes free in other hostels.

On the day we left they even sent people to move into our room while we were asleep at 8:30, well before the 10:00 check out time. We just got the impression that they couldn't be bothered. This was the first backpackers we stayed in in Australia and it turned out to be the least favourite of our whole trip.

Carl & Mary, UK , Jan 2004

6  Thank Christine R
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed November 11, 2003

I spent the best three months of my life at this hostel in Room H3! It was the greatest experience once I got used to the constant sweating from the intense heat. Mostly I hung out in the pool drinking coldies or at the bar with Rohan, picking out what CD's we would play that night. I cried the day I left on New Year's morning 2003 at 6am(you can imagine the state of me!). I lived and worked in Broome and became a "longtermer" at the hostel, which became just like home. This hostel is a gem and everyone should stay at LEAST a week!! It's hard to get up and go though, so easy to get stuck, like I did!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member