“The best backpackers in WA”

Cable Beach Backpackers
Ranked #11 of 29 Specialty Lodging in Broome
Reviewed October 24, 2013

This place is by far the best backpackers I have stayed in in WA. Not only is it great value for the rooms but also an amazing friendly environment. So hard to leave, after two weeks here everyone has became like family. Managers are so chilled and also have a laugh which is epic! Always some fun activities to get involved in. We loved our stay and will be back!!!!!! Cable beach bro deffs the best!! Worth the stay!

• Stayed: October 2013

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Relaxed environment, great people, super helpful staff and a 5 minute walk from the stunning Cable Beach! What more could you ask for? Cheap bar prices...$3 beers during happy hour! don't think you would find those prices anywhere else in Broome!

Really had a great time here and would definitely visit again. Lots to see and do in Broome so the free shuttle to the town centre each day is handy (bus stop outside the property also) In the evening, I enjoyed chilling out in the bar and getting to know the other backpackers. It's the easy going, fun people that make this place what it is!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Perhaps if I was younger (I'm in my late 30s) I could over look the filthy toilets, dirty mould ridden rusted broken showers and the dust in my so called private room. I know this is a hostel, but when I can hear people speaking in the next room (they were not talking loud) and when I am woken up for 2 nights by the noise of squeaking beds from people being intimate, it is time to go somewhere else.

If you like to get drunk, don't care too much about quality or standards, then this is a cheap place that is fine...but if you don't mind spending only a few dollars more a night, go next door to "Beaches of Broome" dorm rooms. They were new, clean, the toilets were hygienic and the vibe and quality of everything was much higher,

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank serendipitysydney
cbbpackers, Manager at Cable Beach Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

This review simply isn’t fair or accurate. There is a $100 difference per night between the double up the road and ours; I assume that's why you chose us - we're cheap. The comparison is apples and oranges – a brand new multi-million $$ build to ours is a ridiculous comparison! Our facilities may be older but not filthy – there’s a big difference. On our website we clearly state Basic accommodation for Backpackers and travellers aged between 18-35 on a budget. That’s whom we cater for, not penny pinching oldies with suitcases. Yes, I can accept negative feedback and we do our best to remedy complaints immediately, but in this case, I think the remedy is to choose age & budget appropriate accommodation. We weren't even given the chance to remedy anything for you, it's a classic case of wanting more for less.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Really liked this place. Mostly 20 something's and a good vibe. Stayed in a four bed dorm with my girl and when possible management tried to keep the room free for just us which was good. Walk out of your room and your in a really chilled resident bar with really good drink specials. Most drinks are 5bucks or 3 from five to six o clock.swimming pool, big kitchen lots of space and young friendly and easy going staff. Stay here!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We had a double room! It says basic and it is! But there is so much to do in broome there is no need to do anything but sleep there! The staff are all very friendly and offer an airport/town shuttle bus. The beach is a short stroll away and there is a bus stop outside it. Didn't use the pool but it looked clean and the bar was cheap! I would definitely come back!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I enjoyed my stay here. It's a 5 minute walk to Cable Beach which is fantastic. I had a double room with air con for $80 a night (August 2013) which was perfect for me. People were friendly. There's a free shuttle into Broome twice a day and you can get a free lift to the airport too! I didn't have any problems with late night partying (mentioned by other reviewers) and preferred this hostel to the YHA near the airport where I also stayed this trip.

Room Tip: Double room with air con - outside the main hostel so away from any potential noise from the communc...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I stayed here for 1 week and that was more then enough. The rooms are dirty, small. the bunk beds don't have a ladder and are not high. Which means that you can't sit normally if you have the lower one. There is no regulation that people will be quiet during the night. This is a party hostel. If you like it, then it is okay. What bothers me is that you pay for something that you don't get. The showers/toilets are disgusting, the rooms are dirty (sorry, have to say it again) and the kitchen is not functional. There are no shelfs, there are only 2 big refrigerators. And that is clearly not enough for the amount of people that can stay here. Wi-Fi is to expensive (AUD 4,- hour). If it was super fast quick better then best Wi-Fi then it was worth it. But okay, the Wi-Fi is terrible.

Possitive is the common area. It's big. There is a bar, pool table and next to it there is a nice pool. The location is nice. Close to Cable Beach. But it depends where you need/want to be. It is far from the city centre. They offer twice a day a free shuttle to the city centre and they have a free pick-up from the airport.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Amigoe1
785jokaye, Manager at Cable Beach Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. Although harsh, I'm hopeful I can clear up a few of your comments and concerns for others. The bunk beds are Australian standard unmodified bunk beds, the same height top-to-bottom as any other legal bunk bed in this country. Our rooms are fitted with ceiling fans and, according to Australian standards, and for your protection (so you don't injure your head), the beds can not be any higher. May - August is our peak season and our rooms are usually full during this period. When you have four-to-a-room, coming and going at any time, the rooms are probably messy with belongings etc, but I will argue that they are not dirty. As for the noise, we are a licensed premises with a bar on-site. There is noise and music up until the bar closes at 10pm. However, with up to 100 people staying, some noise is expected and tolerated in a communal shared living arrangement. We will however, make sure that the noise level is checked and kept to a minimum. The Toilets & Showers. These are cleaned every morning and we have a full-time cleaner but as with the noise, with over 100 people using the facilities it is impossible to expect that these rooms will remain clean from start to finish. Cleanliness is of course is an absolute must and I respect your comments and will follow-up on our cleaning operations. Our kitchen is large, we have 5 x 5 burner gas stoves, 2 commercial sized fridges, 2 x microwaves, toasters, kettles and 5 sinks. We do have a large, open, wide shelf in the kitchen right under the bench with enough space for everyone to have one sealed bag each on this shelf. You must have missed it! As for distance to town...Broome is on a peninsula. We are near famous Cable Beach (along with 5 star resorts and other backpackers), town is on the other side. It's an 8 minute drive on the town bus (bus stop right on our property) or by our own shuttle bus for free. We are sincerely sorry that you did not enjoy your stay but we dare to say, we are exactly what we say we are - a budget backpackers for the budget traveller wanting a fun & social party atmosphere. Granted, our building is older, and our internet not lightning fast but we are priced to reflect this. We are extremely happy to hear that you enjoyed our pool and dining area and our free pick-up from the airport .