“Changes, some for the better some not!”

Cable Beach Club Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Broome
Lisbon, Portugal
“Changes, some for the better some not!”
Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Great service by the Ocean pool, but it's a shame nobody enforces the No Mobile Phone Zone, or that smokers are able to smoke anywhere they choose. Despite requesting a non-smoking pool terrace room, we were given a smoking room (252) and had smokers both sides, making sitting outside on your deck not very pleasant at times. This was our 6th stay at the resort and much has improved over the past 8yrs, some good I.e. room upgrades some not good i.e. not advised that the turn-down service ceased the week before we arrived or that the use of dressing gowns (great after a shower or just rolled out of bed onto the terrace) are no longer provided. All the sun-loungers were crudely nailed in the semi-upright position, so unless you packed a screwdriver, no laying down up the pool. It seems the quality of food has changed with cheaper ingredients being used, which is a shame. The adult pool is fantastic unless you have a group of under 25's playing with balls while laying on sun loungers yelling, spilling drinks in the pool and the staff said nothing. I guess it did mean the group had to pay up for mor drinks. All that said, it's a great spot with lots of space, but I think we'll be trying one of the other smarter looking resorts in the New Year.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I received a free upgrade to a bungalow with it's own mini pool and kitchenette. Room is very large, clean, and well kept. Grounds are very well kept. Service is top notch, especially for Australia. Staff is very friendly. Much like being in Bali but with fewer Aussies. Just kidding. I ate at two of the restaurants while there. The Thai food was just okay. The grill by the beach was very good. Broome itself doesn't offer a lot, maybe a day or two of pretty dull sight seeing. Lot's of pearl shopping available, but prices aren't really that good. If I go back to Broome, I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I stayed in bungalow 166. If I go back I will ask for the same or similar.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank LondonRebel
Perth, Australia
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Went to Broome for 7 days and got a good deal in Oct school hols for 2 nights. Wish I'd stayed longer. So friendly from the start, they even gave me a glass of wine while we waited for the baggage cart ride to our room. I was with two kids in a king bed room and the extra trundle bed was so comfortable, we all wanted it. The gardens are perfection, the pool area lovely , and the deck chairs are actually comfortable so you don't want to leave, if you order food even if just a basket of chips it is bought to you, i was impressed with the ample free jugs of water available to take to your umberella/deck chair whilst relaxing. HEAVEN..The breakfast area overlooking the park to the beach(Sunset bar) is fabulous and good value for money only $15 for the kids each. Ours was included in the room price but as I took an extra child I paid for him but they didn't charge me for the extra bed. Great play/water park area for kids, mini golf right next to pool so you can keep an eye on them. At night the Sunset bar is a restaurant/bar, not expensive and great to sit and watch the sunset and camels go by. Truly wonderful..

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Coffs Harbour
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I guess it comes down to, How often are you going to be in Broome? I lived for a while in Perth and never got up this far. I travelled from Darwin to the Bungles and didnt go west enough. This time I flew into Broome to join a ship to cruise the Kimberley Coast and I got to stay for just one night. In these circumstances I wouldn't have stayed anywhere else although I wish I had added a couple of extra nights. The Hotel is supurbly situated just over the road from one of the best beaches in the world. It's spread out with several different blocks and different styles of accommodation, the standard garden rooms are of good size, comfortable despite the firm beds, cool & quiet. Because the various blocks look very similar it's easy to get lost. All of the staff that I met were polite & welcoming. I got to meet people from all over the world. The food was OK but I expected more for the price paid. I think that the problem here is that visitors have high expectations because it is an icon, satisfying those expectations is the challenge that the management have to meet. I do tyhink that more needs to be done to provide free wifi throughout the reort.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Peter S
perth
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Having travelled to Broome many times.... Thought this time as it is only a two day stay - we would try Cable Beach and see if the hype was worth it.... What a mistake! Rooms are ok - if you like a rock hard bed.... Gardens are fairly unkept at best and the biggest let down - the staff - rude is putting it mildly. If they can blatantly ignore you they will and if by chance you get their attention - you are treated with disdain - this was a theme from the pool service to the sunset bar and everywhere in between..... I work for an airline and have travelled and stayed many places but would never stay here again, if they paid me to. Save yourself the agony and choose Pinctada in Broome instead - they are a 5 star hotel with 6 star service......

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank daneka70
CBCR2008, General Manager at Cable Beach Club Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Clearly it was extremely disappointing to read your views of our resort during your recent stay, as we were rather hoping `we had won you over’ by the time you departed? However as much as we do enjoy receiving the decidedly more favourable reviews we are more accustomed to, we will take this in our stride and certainly try to better understand what else we could have done to make you stay a far more enjoyable experience.

Kind Regards,

Ron Sedon, General Manager
Mona Vale, Australia
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Just had a great holiday with my 2 adult daughters. The resort is large and just across the road from Cable Beach.
We stayed in a bungalow which was very comfortable (with the exception of privacy issues - felt like we were in a fish pond when the blinds were up).
We only had one dinner at the resort - the Thai which was good. We discovered a restaurant opposite on the beachfront outside where the food was good and the prices a bit better. The breakfasts were on the whole very good, but if you want soft eggs, you have to ask for them.
Cocktails at sunset are a must!
The tour desk was fabulous with lots of helpful ideas. Overall we were very happy with it and we will definitely be going back.

Room Tip: We had a bungalow as 3 adults - suggest asking for one with shrubs around the windows for privacy...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We have just returned from a 7 day amazing stay at Cable Beach Resort. Being avid travellers and having had the opportunity to stay in many resort area's of the world we came away from Broome with the feeling that our holiday had been just perfect. it is not often that you can say that there was not even the smallest thing we could have complained about. We had great meals in all of the restaurants, food quality was outstanding and service at all times fantastic. We met many young people from all over the world working at the resort and taking the time to chat with them was a delight. Our accommodation was excellent in the area of the adults only pool, just perfect and what a great pool size. In all a perfect holiday in beautiful surroundings.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple