“Cheese, crackers, wine with Sunsets and Moon Rises”
Review of Red Dirt Photographic - CLOSED

Red Dirt Photographic
More attraction details
Owner description: Nigel and Helen operate Red Dirt Photography and Red Dirt Photographic Tours. The Tours are seasonal. The Photography Tours are limited for the 2016 season. Dates are available for our 7 Day Purnululu National Park (Bungle Bungles) and 10 Day Gibb River Road Photo Tour in May 2017. We also have details of our May 2018 Boat Cruise on the northern Kimberley coast. Let Nigel teach you how to capture the amazing colours of the Kimberley Landscape.
Reviewed April 6, 2014

If you like great photography and wish you could take fantastic photos, then you must put Red Dirt on you itinerary. Nigel is a great photographer and a good calm teacher. I personally had both private tuition and done the evening “staircase to the moon” photo shoots. Helen looks after the gallery and assists on the tours. If you can not afford the time to do the big tours with Red Dirt, jump into the gallery and look around and wet your appetite with some of Nigel’s photos. By the end of 10 minutes in the gallery your trigger finger will be itching to take photos as soon as you walk out of the gallery. With your desire and enthusiasm wetted, make sure that you ask for a couple of good “secret” spots / locations for good shots. Of the three times I travelled to Broome to see the famous “staircase to the moon” and try to the photos of it; I found the first two trips I waste my time because I never got any good photos (I thought that I could do it without help). On the third trip I decided that I needed help, so I was with Nigel for the 1 ½ days. I learn so much from the time with Nigel, I didn’t care that the third moonrise was behind the clouds.

2  Thank Andrew_Aqua
Helen B, Manager at Red Dirt Photographic, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2014

Thanks Andrew for your wonderful comments about our Tours and Gallery. Yes, Nigel has the patience and expertise that makes for a great teacher. He loves to share his knowledge and gets a thrill when others catch the photobug too!
We hope to see you again Broome soon.

There are newer reviews for Red Dirt Photographic

Reviewed August 30, 2013

I think this is up there with my favourite tours ever. It was such a great day. Nigel has one of the best jobs in the world. He is very friendly and easy going (obviously, he lives in Australia) and he’s an amazing photographer. I was umming and arring whether to go on this tour as I'm already a keen photographer. But definitely leant some new stuff and got some great photos too. One of the locations we shot at -James Price Point was so beautiful and completely deserted. I hope I remember that place in my mind forever....and if I don't I have some photos to remind me.
Brilliant day, brilliant teacher, brilliant tour.

For anyone with an interest in photography this is for you, no matter what level you’re at. GO!

1  Thank GemmaD1500
Helen B, Manager at Red Dirt Photographic, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

Thanks GemmaD for your great comments about our One Day Broome and Surrounds Photography Tour. We are also glad that you made the decision to join Nigel and see the amazing colours and beaches of James Price Point.
You can always learn a little more about Photography, that's one of the fun things about it, you just keep getting better at it and discover new ways to "see things".
We are about to release details of our new venture with the MV Great Escape. We are having our first Photographic Cruise!! So excited. 7 Days cruising with Nigel on a dedicated Photographic Cruise, leaving Kununurra on May 17th 2014. Let me know if you would like more details. - Helen.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Nigel and Helen run a photographic gallery in town as well as a number of photographic excursions. My wife and I joined Nigel and several other would be photographers on the two hour "Staircase to the Moon" excursion. Cost was $90pp which I thought was good value.

Nigel picked us up from our hotel just over an hour before the moon was due to rise to give us time to set-up and receive some initial tuition. Nigel supplied those of us who did not have them with tripods and headlamps and we then proceeded to walk down to a beach that gave a great view of the Staircase but was absent the thousands of people we had encountered the night before at Town Beach.

I am not sure that any of us had the same make/model of camera but this did not stop Nigel from resolving the various issues and answering the questions that we all had. He provided us with some good tips as to how to get the best results from some different aspects of night photography and the best settings for taking pictures of the "Staircase". If any of us failed in that regard it was not due to any lack of diligence or instruction on NIgel's part. He was knowledgeable, patient and instructive.

Perhaps the only disappointing feature was when Nigel pulled out a PC and endeavoured to give us all a quick lesson on photoshop. This may have been useful for some but not for myself. Not only was there limited time, but not having played with this software before, and having nothing with me to take notes, this demonstration unfortunately was of little value to me. What would have been very useful would have been to give us, either at the time or emailed us after the event, detailed instructional notes on the steps he had used in his demonstration on the PC to photoshop the "Staircase" photo.

2  Thank westy54
Helen B, Manager at Red Dirt Photographic, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Thank you for your detailed comments about our 2 Hr "Staircase to the Moon" Photographic Tour. We take on board your comments about the powerpoint presentation Nigel did on his laptop while at the location. The presentation is meant to be merely a demonstration of technique rather than a lesson in Photoshop. As you mentioned there was limited time and we will look at the options of handing out notes for the future tours. If you would like to provide us with your email address, we are more than happy to send you some notes. Our email address is reddirtphotography@westnet.com.au
We are glad that you found the rest of the tour informative and Nigel's level of expertise and patience to your liking.
Helen Gaunt

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I was picked up by Nigel from our accomodation. Immediately relaxed and felt welcome...introduced to all as they boarded. Small group - 5 people. We spent a couple of hours at the jetty, then off to Cable Beach. I had the camera with the least capability of the group, but Nigel ensured that I had the best use of it. He remained cheerful, enthusiastic, helpful and patient for 5 hours. It was an amazing afternoon, I will no longer be a point and shoot on auto photographer. Starting to research my next camera!!

1  Thank bellahope
Helen B, Manager at Red Dirt Photographic, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

We are glad that you had such a great time on the Half day Photo Tour. It doesn't matter what type of camera you have, Nigel can help you get the best out of it. Happy to hear that you are now using the manual features of your camera and are looking at a new one. All the best from us both, Helen and Nigel Gaunt.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

I attended a full day tour with Nigel and had an excellent day. I had a little more photography experience than some of the other participants but found Nigel to be accommodating to all levels of knowledge. His experience was evident as he could turn an average photo into a work of art with a few small changes. I enjoyed it very much and would like to congratulate Nigel and Helen on such a great business run by great people.

2  Thank Craig B

Thank You Craig for your lovely comments. Nigel gets a real buzz from helping people explore Photography and become more creative with their images. The One Day Tour is very long but you do get a lot of information. We hope to see you here again.