We stayed for 5 nights at the Pinctada in Sept 09. We had our reservations given the reviews on tripadvisor however we really enjoyed our stay.
The staff at the hotel are simply excellent. Nothing is too much trouble for them and they attended to any of our requests perfectly.
Our hotel room (with the exception of the point below) was lovely. Very well appointed with two large flatscreen LCDs, spacious bathroom and "mood lighting" (otherwise known as dimmers). The bed was also extremely comfortable.
The restaurants are great with really good food and a great wine list. The menu in the main restaurant changes regularly so you can happily eat there a couple of nights on your stay without getting bored.
The spa is also excellent with a wide varity of treatments and enough spa staff so that we could regularly get treatments booked on the same day.
The thing that instantly hits you when you arrive is how some questionable design choices have been made for a hotel which has been designed from the ground up. For instance, the reception area overlooks the car park with the restaurant overlooking the road. Strangely enough this didn't really bother us as the road is very quiet however I can understand why some people have complained about this.
The swimming pool is a very nice and relaxing space with a good poolside restaurant to accompany it. The hotel did not appear very busy during our stay and therefore we never had any difficulty in getting a bed by the pool. The pool isn't very large however and there are only 22 sunbeds for a hotel capable of taking up to 144 guests - again a strange design decision... Meanwhile there is a very large "meditation" garden close to the pool which never appears to be used and should really have been used as an additional pool space. There are beds located on the terraces of the individual rooms and in the Honjin Courtyards however these are just single sunbeds so they're no good if there are two of you!
We stayed in a Honjin Courtyard suite which contains a bedroom, lounge and kitchen unit. Is also has a terrace which runs the length of the room with a single sunbed and a table. Each Hongjin Courtyard Suite directly faces another with a large terrace between them seperated by a see through divider. The see through divider means that when sat on your couch or lying on your bed, you are directly looking into next door's room - clearly this is a bit strange. Equally if you're eating on your balcony, you are 2 foot away from your next door neighbour and can see them. In other words, it's not very private but could be easily remedied if the hotel replaced the see through dividers with non see-through ones.
Minor niggles included everything being very very expensive (as others have mentioned), the poolside bar/restaurant closing at 9pm because of the rooms located above it (again questionable design decision) and very expensive wireless internet access in the rooms with no complementary business centre provided. The gym is also unfortunately not adequate (no freeweights or gym ball).
Overall we had an absolutely fantastic stay and would recommend the hotel with the caveats above. The distance to the beach is about a 10/15 minute walk but it's very easy to get to and this didn't really bother us. The Cable Beach Club is admittedly a lot closer but looked quite run down to us when we visited and a lot busier (c. 240 rooms versus Pinctada's 72 rooms). If the hotel were to address the points above, it would definitely be a 5* and Broome's premier resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kimberley Sands Resort and Spa is Broome's newest full service spa resort located close to Cable Beach. Located in the Kimberley Region of Western Australia, our Award winning intimate 72 room & suite resort is created to nurture you. Here you'll find understated elegance and around the clock attention. Original art to the hand selected furnishings and decor, every detail reflects the Kimberley. Features include the 25m Maxima pool, guest gym, meditative gardens and day spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, Expedia, Orbitz, Agoda, Travelocity, Priceline, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Kimberley Sands Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pinctada Cable Beach Hotel Broome
- Pinctada Cable Beach Broome