“Unexpected paradise.”

Kimberley Sands Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Broome
Reviewed July 11, 2013

My family stayed here when were were unable to book back into another better known resort, and were very pleased. Our 2 bedroom suite was beautiful, quiet, luxurious, functional and safe for our toddler. We had 2 private patios, a plunge pool shared with 4 suites as well as the main pool/bar area.

The day spa was magnificent and without exception the service was first class in all areas.

The restaurant was lovely for dinner and breakfast. Although it overlooks the road, it was not noisy or dusty. Prices are a bit expensive but not out of the way for Broome.

We were travelling with another couple whose room was affected by a maintenance issue and they were upgraded to a larger room.

The resort is not adjacent to the beach, but is a short walk away and there is a local bus back ($4). The same bus runs into town.

There is a convenience store /take away a few minutes walk away.

There are no children's activities or play areas, apart from the pools, but there is a nice playground at the beach and a water play park and cafe at Town Beach at the other end of the bus route.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Matthew C, General Manager at Kimberley Sands Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Dear Tasha M,
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed you family holiday with us at Pinctada Cable Beach. The Honjin Courtyard Villas are a wonderful room designed with both families and couples in mind. I am very happy to read that you found it both comfortable and functional for your family. It appears that you have enjoyed all facets of the resort from the pool area, dining, gardens and day spa. I am also pleased to see that from the family perspective you found our location convenient to both the town and Cable beach. I hope that we have an opportunity to welcome you back to Pinctada on your next visit to Broome.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

This resort is considered a five star resort however it is far from this rating. On arrival we were shown to our room and on entering there was a welcome letter which we thought was for us but it was addressed to another couple! Not good....for first impressions. The clothes line in the bathroom was broken which we reported and were told maintenance would come in the morning to fix it. They did not. They did however come in the afternoon when we were having a rest, knocked on the door and before we could even jump off the bed they were coming in the room!...not good.
Naturally the Manager was horrified and did send us a nice bottle of red wine and a sumptious cheese platter...thankyou Damien. However, several days later on leaving the room for the day we duly put out the sign "please make up room"...when we returned 4 hours later the sign was still on the door and worse still the door had not been closed properly so anyone could have walked into our room. The room had been made up and luckily I believe nothing had been taken. The general cleanliness of the room was not good....they did not mop the bathroom floor and when we had room service and accidently spilt something on the wooden floor it was still there the next day smeared into the floor. Room service was not that much better as when we asked for cutlery for two we were given ONE serviette, ONE knife, ONE spoon and two forks. This obviously is not cutlery for TWO. I brought the issue of the dirty floor twice to management and finally on the second time it was cleaned but the wooden floor was still left dirty. This last complaint is only a small point however for a five star resort that costs well over $AUD350 per night is just not good enough. The swimming pool was small with sharp corners every way one looked. The resort is set up on boardwalks and when there are children there they run around and the noise is magnified on these boards. It is a shame about this resort as we had high hopes. It is at least a 1.5km walk to Cable Beach although there is a bus service but you have to go into town and then back to the beach as it only runs in one direction which takes 40 minutes even though the beach is a 15 minute walk.

Room Tip: Don't....
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank rmp26

Dear rmp26,
Thank you for posting feedback of your recent stay with us. I am quite surprised to see your post as we had caught up during your stay and I believed that I had already addressed your concerns? I will address a few additional points that we did not discuss. Our star rating is awarded by an independent body and is awarded based on room appointments, resort facilities and service and is reviewed annually to ensure compliance. The location of the resort is a comfortable 15 minute walk to Cable Beach, Surf Club. While Cable Beach is of considerable length, (22 km) I am uncertain of which part of the beach you were walking to? I was however quite surprised by your comments regarding noise and children. While we cater to both couples and families alike, there is always an increased presence of families during the school holidays. I apologise if this has unduly impacted on your stay.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We recently spent 2 nights at the Pinktada awaiting our Orion cruise departure to the Kimberly's
We chose this hotel over Cable Beach Resort due to their adverting. Frankly it was an over promise that built our expectation that we found so disappointing.
As to staff, we found all staff to be very friendly but untrained which one can only blame management for.
In the restaurant the food was good but lacking in choices especially dinner,which by any standard was expensive. Breakfast was ok however we had to wait over 25 minutes on both mornings to get a coffee, admittedly we wanted Capuchino,s and could have had a brewed coffee from the buffet however that was awful. We were also not advised that you had to pay extra for them.We complained and they did credit our account without hesitation.
The property is clearly in urgent need of a refurbishment, our room had polished floors that were severely scratched, the toilet roll holder was being held by one screw so that the toilet roll would fall off any time you tried to use it. A neat addition in the room was a Nespresso Machine but you got only 2 capsules after which you had to purchase more. Wifi limit is 200mg which seems petty when most hotels provide free Wi Fi Full Broadband was not free.
The swimming pool was in disrepair with tiles missing and debri in the pool that should be vacuumed daily. They advertise a lap pool however this is part of the main pool and requires you to navigate children as you must swim through the centre of the pool. As I swim laps we found this offering a good reason to choose to stay there.This led to another disappointment and over sell. I believe that you need to under promise and over deliver to really win over guests.
The location is way outside Broome township and the only way to get there is by council bus at the outrageous fare of $8 each way. That is $32 per couple return. The hotel should provide a shuttle service or negotiate a visitors fare for guests of the hotel of a more reasonable rate. A comparison is Darwin where you can travel all over Darwin for $3 for 3 hours. Broome is ripping off the tourists.
They do have free bikes which was really good but too far to ride to town in the heat.
Overall this is a nice place but in need of repair and staff training along with a re think on services like town transport.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main pool otherwise the location is quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Walter J

Dear Walter 029,
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback of your stay at the resort and also the destination of Broome. Unfortunately I feel that we were both below your expectations? I regret that you were not informed that the comprehensive buffet breakfast was not inclusive of espresso coffee but I am happy to read that the staff responded quickly to your concerns. We do provide Nespresso machines in every room with free samples of coffee pods (in addition to sachet coffee and tea). Additional pods may be purchased through reception. We do provide free Wi Fi of up to 200 MB which is sufficient for most email and communication needs. Additional access can be arranged for guests wishing to download larger content. Broome has not yet been supplied on the NBN. We do advertise that there is a lap pool within our main pool. There will always be a higher percentage of families staying at the resort during school holidays. I do apologise that this has caused concern when sharing the pool with other guests.

While I am not comfortable responding to your concerns over tariffs for the Broome Bus Service, the prices are not as you have stated and are only $ 4 per person per ride. They do have multi ride passes available.

As our name suggests, Pinctada Cable Beach is located in the Cable Beach area. We are a 10 minute drive from the centre of Broome, Chinatown. We have only recently celebrated our 4th anniversary . If there were shortcomings with your room I apologise unreservedly, but as always I would prefer to rectify a concern while a guest is staying with us rather than merely respond. I do however regret that there is little I may be able to communicate to alter your perception of the property and the destination. It is my conviction however that both Pinctada Cable Beach and Broome welcome all visitors courteously and warmly.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed here for only one night unfortunately, would have liked to have stayed longer. Welcome drink on arrival, Lovely rooms, huge bathrooms and Lovely private garden with loungers and outdoor overhead fan. It was a little noisy as my room was next to the car park and there was a slight problem with cockroaches (I killed three) but it is the tropics.
Overall a lovely place to stay would definitely stay again

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Peter M
Matthew C, General Manager at Kimberley Sands Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear Peter M,
Thank you for taking the time to post feedback of your recent although brief stay. I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back for another longer stay again soon.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights at the Pinctada Cable Beach and had a very good time. The rooms are spacious and modern, as are other facilities like the pool and bars.

The service in the hotel was excellent. We had a problem with a booking via a holiday retailer, but the Pinctada Cable Beach reception staff was very helpful in resolving the issue when we checked in.
All other staff working in the restaurants, tour desk, reception and spa were very friendly and supportive making our stay very comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear OW Feedback,
Thank you for posting feedback from your recent holiday stay with us. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed all facets of the resort and that the staffs have assisted in creating a memorable stay. I look forward to being able to welcome you back when you next holiday in Broome.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

We were impressed with Pinctada. We stayed there for the best part of a week.

We can't think of anywhere else where we have stayed where the staff have been more friendly or more helpful. This applies equally to the staff in housekeeping, reception, and in the Mezzo Bar and Brassiere. Thank you so much for looking after us so well.

We wanted somewhere quiet, particularly so at night, so that we could sleep undisturbed. We requested a room away from the main road and we were really pleased with the position of our room, which was for the most part very quiet. We were able to sleep with the sliding doors wide open and the Indian Ocean breeze was very pleasant.

We also really liked the shared outdoor areas- particulary in the Mezzo Bar area. It was lovely to be able to sit down there in the afternoon and enjoy a coffee or a wine/beer. The music was very peaceful and the whole atmosphere was relaxing.

We would have no hesitation in recommending Pinctada to our friends.

Room Tip: We had a room on the top floor, overlooking the pool and facing west. I think I would have been disa...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Matthew C, General Manager at Kimberley Sands Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear Lizzie E,
I was delighted to read your recent feedback from your stay with us at Pinctada Cable Beach and I would like to thank you for your kind recommendation. I was particularly pleased to read that you not only enjoyed the resort facilities but that the staff from all departments made such a positive impact on your stay. I hope that we have an opportunity to welcome you back for another week of relaxation again soon.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We booked into Pinctada for 3 separate stays recently and in each of those stays made the following observations. There is no business centre and the WiFi system was not operating. The "travel" desk is poorly located out the back in the day spa with only a few brochures available. On our 2 subsequent returns to the hotel, we were not welcomed back with the reception staff sometimes referring to us as "guys" More importantly in each of our stays our rooms were dirty with dust and dirt quite obvious. The balcony was dusty and gritty to the extent that we needed to wear shoes out there and it would appear that neither the room nor the balcony had been properly swept for a goodly period. In our last stay quest hair was obvious on the floor of the room whilst in the bathroom, little piles of black hair were scattered about. Most disgusting .The floors were badly scuffed with the "blue" furniture cheap and generally not fitting with the décor. The quality of the breakfast was at best adequate but if you wanted any coffee apart from the "brewed" coffee on offer, it came at an additional cost. Overall we were disappointed with our experiences and would struggle to see how the owners could describe the hotel as a 5 star resort. Would NOT stay here again.

Room Tip: Aside from the comments above, Room 219 was near to the service areas and was a little noisy to the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Graeme G
Matthew C, General Manager at Kimberley Sands Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear Griffo 13,
I was disappointed to read of some of your concerns during your stay, particularly given that we did not have an opportunity to address them rather than merely respond. I do understand however that you may feel more comfortable raising them after your departure. I apologise that the welcome at reception was not to your expectation. We always strive to find a balance of welcome that is hospitable without being too informal. We are investigating your concerns on room cleanliness however while we do clean all outdoor areas of guest rooms, Broome’s famous Pindan will always settle quickly. I was somewhat surprised by your observations on breakfast as we offer a comprehensive breakfast including pastries, freshly baked bread, Burcher muesli, cured meats and smoked salmon, hot breakfast selection, juice and tea, coffee. This does not cover espresso coffee. Our star rating is based on room appointments, facilities and service and is reviewed annually to ensure compliance. Mr Griffo 13, I regret that you did not enjoy your stays with us and I apologise for any apparent shortcomings, yet I am saddened that there is little I can offer in response to alter your perception. I do however hope that there is an opportunity for us to be able to welcome you back again in the future.