“Worst Service”

The Old Zoo Cafe
Cuisines: Australian, International
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Take a seat in the old feeding house of the zoological gardens and be fed in style. If you're lucky, you may be treated to live music under the stars. Great for a romantic dinner... or breakfast.
Reviewed June 29, 2009

Choose the Zoo Cafe after reading the #1 rating and dining there years ago with fond memories. The Maitre’D was rude and had zero people skills. She kept dealing with incoming calls instead of the real humans standing in front of her. People seated after us got their meals before anyone even brought us a menu. The food was average. Go elsewhere.

Reviewed May 17, 2009

The Old Zoo Café has nice food, with good service and a pleasant outdoors and indoors set-up.

I went to the venue twice, once for lunch and once for dinner – my lunch was a very tasty chicken salad with a nice light dressing and I daresay it was probably the best chicken salad I’ve eaten in ages. Unfortunately, I can’t recall the price but I don’t think I recall it being noticeably over-priced.

I do recall the price of my dinner, which was a stuffed capsicum – which was pretty good, just heavy handed with the balsamic sauce… It cost $26. Given it’s a vegetarian meal, and not particularly complicated or a large dish – that was quite pricey.

The dinner service seems to be quite popular, so I would recommend booking ahead if you’re keen to have dinner there – otherwise, for lunch (and possibly breakfast), they were quite accommodating to seat on arrival.

2  Thank KittyMelbourne
Reviewed May 16, 2009

My lunch was miniscule. The cabita bread had been fried in olive oil for some obscure reason and was badly burnt and measured no more than a 12 cm square. The filling was very tasty, but at $15, you have to be kidding. Though this cafe is on the Cable Beach side of town, and prices here reflect the resort clientiele, in Sydney, it wouldn't last more than a week. The setting is pleasant and the staff are slick and polite, but as for the food, forget it.

Reviewed May 7, 2009

We went there at 6pm. A nearly empty restaurant, just 3 tables were occupied. But nevertheless the waitress was not interested to serve us.

2  Thank Over-en-Naar
Reviewed May 3, 2009

nice place to eat friendly staff you get value for your money great outside and great inside

1  Thank fussyeaterMelbourne