“Overpriced”

The Pearle of Cable Beach
Ranked #5 of 28 Specialty Lodging in Broome
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Pearl is built to represent a little paradise of Bali. The room is large with a large bathroom.It provides a fridge for the customer to fill. It has a little veranedah. Check the photos i have posted. The breakfast wa a real disappointment. Just cereals and a few pastries and toast. It says it has a bar and restaurant. It doesn't have either one. It is walking distance to cable beach and the bus is literally at the front door. It is definitly not value for your money. You are paying for the appearance of the place and the customer doesn't doesn't actually get any value his dollar.

1  Thank KalahariAustralia
PearleManagement, General Manager at The Pearle of Cable Beach, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking time to review our beautiful resort.

Thank you also for posting some beautiful photos of your Guest Room. From your review, I am surprised that you have given a three star rating.

One part of your review I wish to correct is the complimentary breakfast that was offered to you during your stay. The Continental breakfast we provide has a very healthy assortment of fresh seasonal fruits, poached fruits, cereals including fresh made toasted muesli and gluten free options, toasting breads, fresh baked pasties, and croissants, yogurts, juices and a selection of teas and coffee.

The breakfast café (as advertised) over looks out beautiful main infinity pool. Nowhere in our adverting do we promote that we have a bar or restaurant onsite?

We do hope that we can host your next stay in beautiful Broome.

Regards,

Paul Coggan
General Manager.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We shared a 3 bedroom villa for four nights. It was very spacious with a lap pool and bar-b-que area. As it was self-contained only the basic tea, coffee and milk was provided. The villa had a laundry and each bedroom had its own ensuite. The main bedroom ensuite had two showers - a regular and rainshower. The complex also has a pool and cafe which serves only a continental breakfast - no other meals. I was a bit surprised when they charged an extra 50 cents per cup for a coffee to take back to our villa - in a takeaway cup. Location is about a 15 minute walk to Cable Beach and shops/eaterys.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I stayed at the Pearle for three nights in March, in one of the units with a private pool. My partner and I had a wonderful stay there and were very impressed with the accommodation and facilities. It was perfect for a romantic escape - having a private lap pool was wonderful, as well as the outdoor eating area. I thought the whole villa was fabulous, with everything we needed and plenty of space and lovely features. I definitely hope to stay there again and would highly recommend it to friends and others.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2013

The little things that turn a good establishment into a great place to stay were lacking at the Pearle. We stayed for 5 nights in a pavilion which is their most expensive form of accommodation.

Broome is a fantastic town but gee is it expensive. The Pearle is located in the Cable Beach area approx. 7 kms for Broome CBD. The Pearle is located approx. 1 km from the beach itself. Most of the accommodation in the Cable Beach area is resort style. We stayed in a pavilion which had its own pool, out door covered seating area, shower etc, all very nice. Inside there was one bedroom with a king bed, a separate bathroom and combined kitchen/living area.

These resorts in Broome are competing with the Asian resorts in Bali, Thailand etc which are first class and therefore The Pearle also has to be at that level. It is not. Considering the very expensive cost of The Pearle, I expected a higher attention to detail, the little things all covered and exceptional level of service. The Pearle failed on all points.

Our first problem was that although The Pearle advertises WiFi coverage over the whole resort, our pavilion was not covered. I reported this issue on our arrival and it took 2 days before they even contacted the service provider re the matter. However, before they did they tried to blame our computers for the problem until I advised that our computers worked fine elsewhere in the resort, just not in our pavilion. They then tried to blame the service provider. Eventually I got sick of all the blame laying, it was everyone else's fault but there's so I finally contacted the service provider myself only to be advised that they had attended to the problem and found it to be a resort problem. So much for the blame game. Anyway, the upshot is that not all rooms in the resort are covered by WiFi despite the resort advertising that they are. Be warned.

We noticed a number of other issues that simply shouldn't happen in a resort at this level. These were blown globes, flat batteries in the remotes, mould in the shower recess, pool lights coming late at night, pool pump starting up at 4.0am in the morning etc. There was no room servicing at all during our stay, so nothing was replenished. There was no soap upon arrival and strange for a hot place no bottle opener in the kitchen.

We ate out while in Broome and found meals whilst very good also very expensive. Broome shuts down after dark with the CBD area all shutting up with Cable Beach the only area where meals could be found.

Overall Broome is a lovely place, The Pearle a lovely resort in appearance, functionally it fails in many areas. Staff should accept responsibility for their shortcomings and not try and lay blame elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't listen to Management when they say that rooms backing onto the Caravan Park are not noisy...
4  Thank jacko582
PearleManagement, General Manager at The Pearle of Cable Beach, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Dear Guest,
May I direct you to a recent review that I think sums up the comparisons to Bali and Broome.
“Bali's best accommodation in Oz without the bali belly!”
Pearle Reviewed May 27, 2013

Thank goodness we live in a country that pays our workers a decent wage, and also has one of the highest health and safety standards.
I personally don’t believe that Broome competes with 3rd world holiday destinations such as Bali. I too have traveled to Bali, and when there, I spoke with hospitality workers and I must say, the rate they get paid is an absolute pittance compared to what Australian workers receive. I was shocked at the level (or lack of) basic health and safety over there. I stayed in a high end resort where we had our own private swimming pool. I have a six year old child and I couldn’t believe the amount of basic safety issues (that we take for granted in Australia) that were missing. Not even a pool fence! Even walking down the street, there was no guarantee of your safety. Electrical wires hanging down, large pot holes with no street lighting. Even when you eat over there, the food safety manual must be non-existent. Bali belly is more common than not. Sorry, I don’t believe that we do compete with Bali. The two holiday destinations are a world apart, thank goodness.
If Australian resorts did not provide their workers with Australian hospitality wages, and did not comply with the high cost to ensure the high Australian health and safety stands, I’m sure it would be actually cheaper to holiday in Australia than Bali….Let’s actually support Australian businesses and their workers and also recognise the reasons behind why Bali and other ‘cheap’ international holiday destinations are supposably able to promote cheaper holidays.

I do recall speaking with you at length on check out about a number of topics.
We have just setup a brand new FREE wireless internet service for Pearle Guests. As with all new initiatives, there were a couple of teething issues that have been since fixed. Rest assured though, once we had received a complaint from you, we immediately contacted the provider in order for them to get their technical team on to the issue.
The other issues you raised such as pool lighting and pool pump being out of sync could have been immediately corrected (as I mentioned to you on check out) had we known about them during your stay. Lights do blow during guests stay and we are very happy to replace them during guests stay at the guests request.
A note for future guests, please do let your resort team know as soon as possible of any issues that you may have during your stay. We will immediately do our best to correct it for you. Don’t wait until after you check out. Ps. We do provide a luxurious Kudos amenities pack (that includes soaps) for all guests. We service Guests Rooms daily and our Self- contained Pavilions mid-week every seven days.

I recall that you stayed on the other side of the resort from the caravan park, so mistakenly, you must have thought that, because of a couple of previous review ‘tips’, that any noise that you may have heard after hours was from the caravan park. Cable Beach Tourist Precinct (where The Pearle and Tarangau Caravan Park is located) is extremely focused on presenting a quiet and environmentally peaceful environment. This includes after hours.

Thank you for taking the time to review us and hope that you will in the future, continue to support and protect Australian high standards of holidaying.

Warm Regards,

Paul Coggan

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Staff moved us into rooms as quick as they could rotate cleaners to do their job.

Easy walk to Cable Beach & camel rides

The rooms were linked to as a 3 bed apartment - if you book 1 room with en-suite it is small but clean & has a seating area outside. We then moved to the one bed apartment.

You wouldn't know it but behind 1 bedroom apartment is a lovely courtyard with 6 seated outside dinning & BBQ. Just a beautiful area with tea candle lamps.
Very specious living with party size bathroom. Found a laundry hidden away by the BBQ. Looked to have all mod cons.. Although I avoided use of them.

Pool area is lovely with recliner lounges & yet another seating area outside master bedroom.

Breakfast was included by main pool & i spotted hammocks there, love them best sleep u can have on holidays.

Room Tip: If your staying 7 nights check with desk mid week to book service for fresh bedding & towels
2  Thank Hereford59
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Rooms were amazing and the service fantastic. The pool was heated to perfection and the spa was just what I needed!! The general feel of the place was tranquil and relaxed. Over all view of the resort was amazing, defiantly recommend!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jess C
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We stayed here for our honeymoon in 2009. We had booked for 5 nights and stayed longer it was just heaven. Staff were great and very helpful we are coming back for our 10th Wedding Anniversary and I can't wait

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple