“better anywhere than here”

Mount Elizabeth Station
Ranked #882 of 1,544 things to do in Western Australia
Liverpool, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“better anywhere than here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2011

After a long day of travelling, we were looking forward to an enjoyable evening at Mount Elizabeth Station. Unfortunately, the words 'welcoming and friendly' appear to be beyond any of the staff at this establishment and I would recommend looking elsewhere before signing up to a night here.

On arrival, I informed the chef that we had a vegetarian in our party which was met with nothing less than outrage. As a regular traveller, I was disgusted at the lack of accommodation shown by staff and would have expected a little understanding at the very least. Every question asked was met with a gruff response, and my request for an additional jug of water (there were 7 people in our party, with 1 small jug of water on the table) was granted but not without a look which let me know I was nothing but an inconvenience.

After dinner, we decided to settle in our room for the evening and carried our things over to the 'cottage' we would be staying in. A bottle of bleach/ dustpan and brush can go a long way......it is safe to say that the 'cottage' at Mount Elizabeth had seen neither of these in a long time and cleanliness can do a lot for a place without many other positive features.

Our room for the evening, is possibly one of the most unsafe places I have ever had the misfortune to stay in. The room had a lock on the outside(yes the outside!!) but didn't have one on the inside. The door to the room also opened outwards which led to some extreme discomfort on both mine and my boyfriends part.

We did see a kangaroo and a beautiful white peacock during our stay but I don't think either of these is reason enough to stay at Mount Elizabeth Station. It was the black mark on an otherwise incredible trip and would recommend staying anywhere else before booking a night here.

Visited September 2011
1 Thank deb c

sydney
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“A great highlight of our 5 week trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2011

I was so disappointed to read previous reviews and felt they had visited a different place.
Mt. Elizabeth station was a wonderful experience for us. It is a working station that allows travellers to stay on their property, which is clean, homely and welcoming. The staff are visiters from other countries, travelling around our wonderful Australia and we found them helpful and interesting...... Pat and her husband are busy people, but we found them to be most helpful and we spent the whole of one day exploring their property and part of another visiting the small gorge - we did not have time to visit the large one......We travelled with our friends from usa and they too were very impressed by the whole station - who so very nicely invited us and others into their home..... I would recommend anyone to stay here, but keep in mind that this is an isolated area which is completely shut off in the wet season - so is only opened for approx 5 months per year and should not be compared to the Hilton - Thankyou for the experience and the special privilage! - Ann Paul Donna & John

Visited August 2011
2 Thank dragonsback
Perth
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Avoid at all costs!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2011

Described as a welcoming family property, all I can say is websites can be deceptive! Absolutely terrible! The owners and staff were rude, surly and obnoxious. Our presence at the property was considered an inconvenience at best, with even the request of an extra slice of toast at breakfast (we were only given 1 slice each!) considered asking too much.
Accommodation in the cottage was filthy with dirt, cigerette ash and mouse or gecko droppings all over the floor. Our party was split into different rooms even though we booked and confirmed accommodation together. When we questioned this we were grumpily informed that "things have changed since you booked". Disgraceful and an absolute rip off at $140 per person per night (there were 7 of us so $980 altogether for dirty accommodation and a very average dinner and breakfast).
I strongly advise travellers to avoid this place. It was a real disappointment on an otherwise excellent trip. It is clear that some people shouldn't be operating in the hospitality industry, and the owners and staff at Mount Elizabeth are a shining example of this!
Look for accommodation elsewhere and don't waste your time or money staying here!

Visited September 2011
3 Thank Sheryl L
Sydney
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Don't bother”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2011

Accommodation was very basic and rustic with single beds and a cupboard and a mirror and a curtain on a rod that fell down when opening the window. The two shared bathrooms were very clean and good showers but had to be accessed by going outside and down the verandah. Dinner was very ordinary and served at 6.15! The homebaked bread was most likely TipTop! The coffee and tea were plonked down on a table at the rear of the room with no announcement. We were busy talking and turned around to get a cup of tea but the Pot and mugs had already been removed! It was now 7.15 .My husband asked for a cup of coffee and it was reluctantly made for him. There was no sign of any family or staff to sit and talk to you as per their add. The only thing left to do was to return to our room and be ready for breakfast at 6.30. Breakfast again was very ordinary and asking for an extra piece of toast was a real problem. I made sure that I had a cup of tea before it was whisked away!. No information was forthcoming regarding anything of interest that we could see on the property. Couldn't wait to leave as soon as breakfast was over. My one star is for the dogs - they were nice!

Visited August 2011
1 Thank bonnie8
Munich
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Stay at Mt.Elizabeth”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2010

stayed here at the end of dry season on the campground with lots of wallabies. Was a great place with an amazing gorge. Very friendly people and ok food.
Can´t complain about the camping prices

4 Thank Maeh