“Wonderful travel guide”
Review of Melbourne

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Neighborhoods
Neighborhoods
Singapore
177 helpful votes
“Wonderful travel guide”
Reviewed April 1, 2009

We , a group of 13, travelled to Melbourne from 16th to 21st March 2009. We engaged the services of Around and About Travel & Planning to bring us around in Victoria, namely to Dandenong, Great Ocean Road, helicopter ride and Mornington Peninsula. The service provided by Around and About is personal, and wonderful. The rates are value for money and you get to travel within your own group. No hassle, and easy to control the time you want to spend in different places. The in-charge, Walter Edgar is warm, honest and sincere. I strongly recommend Around and About if you are travelling in Melbourne.

Besides, we had apple picking, hot air balloon by Global Ballooning and farmstay in Laurimar Glen. We had a great time in Melbourne with great experiences and wonderful scenic attractions, beautiful memories made possible by Walter Edgar from Around and About Travel & Planning.

The farmstay in Laurmar Glen, hosted by Janet & Eric is a genuine farm experience with lots of animals. A BIG farm where Eric drove us around in his pick-up to feed the animals and the children loved the hands-on experience. The meals prepared by Janet was very delicious. She even prepared Asian style cooking and accomodated our special request. This is so far the best farmstay experience we had in Australia.

Melbourne indeed offers a diversity of experience, the Victorians are warm and courteous. The scenic attractions are beautiful and unique.

Overall, the trip we paid is very much value for money and much lesser than you compared with travel agents package which travel in big groups.

10 Thank The-SCH-World-Travel
melbourne
15 helpful votes
“Melbourne in March”
Reviewed March 18, 2009

Melbourne in march has the Grand Prix - at Albert Park which is only a tram ride from the city. Its on for 4 days with the main race on 29th March. Buy a ticket and the tram ride there is free and also "The Who" is also playing after the race.
Albert Park is not far from the beach and St. Kilda (beach ) there also. Great place to see. Fitzroy Street and Acland Street are great place to eat with many resturants along both streets.
Melbourne city is near the docklands a newer place to visit in the CBD. There are many places to go into Victoria Ballarat and Bendigo. Great places to go on the weekend. At the moment the Australian Rules Football is just starting and there wil be many matches starting all the way to September - something different for those sport lovers of American Football, baseball etc.
I hope you all have a lovely time when coming to melbourne

11 Thank jennyrae55
London
33 helpful votes
“City by the Beach”
Reviewed February 7, 2009

We've just come back from 4 days in Melbourne. We found the city very easy to travel around, the tram system makes it so easy. There is even a free tram service called the City Loop, the old style trams run on this line so they have no air/con, but its a great service. We ate in a variety of restaurants from the riverbank to the lanes. We had one really bad experience when we visited the Queen Victoria Market night market on Wednesday. Its very popular with locals probably due to the free music and wide variety of cheapest food and drink. However, the BIG BIG problem is getting a seat to sit down and eat your food. The locals bag all the seats, saving them for friends who are nowhere in sight and they will not give them up even if you are standing there with a plate of food thats going cold. We only wanted a seat to eat and then we would have moved on. Melbourne people's behaviour at the market really spoilt our visit/experience.

There are a few other issues such as the city is covered in so much graffiti and there are lots and lots of homeless and/or drunk people on the city streets. Finally the CYCLISTS, Melbourne boasts about being cycling city and that is true, its not necessarily good for pedestrians though as cyclists have no/little consideration to pedestrians especially along the embankments where there are no cycle lanes and they ride very fast everywhere, some doing 40-50 kmph on the pathway, barely giving you time to get out of the way, I saw many people who were walking having to jump out of their way and often being quite shaken by the experience. There is certainly a need to both police cyclists and also to provide them with designated lanes.

The city is very near beaches which you can take a tram too, we found it very attractive to have both a beach and a city experience in one day.

All in all we thought Melbourne was okay, it has the feel of a large Brighton (in UK)/small London (UK).

8 Thank alig99
Edmonton, Alberta
9 helpful votes
“Too HOT for me in December & January but I'll go again!”
Reviewed November 10, 2008

I do not like extream Heat, so December/January was the wrong time of year for me to choose. The people were funny and friendly and most KNEW I was Canadian by my accent. This is the first time in my life I knew I had an accent.

Everything was so new and exciting for this small town girl!

I did freak out about the sharks at Sandy Point! I was even more freaked out by the Traffic Circles!!! I guess everything was an experience. I loved the plants, animals and lots of things to do!

I want to go again at a better time of year because I did not get to go the the Great Barrier Reef to snorkle!

Getting around the State of Victoria was so easy! I loved the train the best!

I want to go again, maybe in September or April!

9 Thank SingersTrips
Normandy Park, Washington
40 helpful votes
“Melbourne is a lovely city”
Reviewed October 13, 2008

We found Melbourne to be a lovely city. We stayed at the Ibis Hotel downtown. This was a great location, 2 minutes to Victoria market, 10 minutes to Lygon Street (restaurants) and 15 minutes to ChinaTown. The free City Circle tram stop was about a 5 minute walk away. Loved the Great Ocean Road tour. We did this with Go West Tours. A 16 passenger van and friendly tour guides.

1 Thank Douglas H

Been to Melbourne? Share your experiences!