“Fantastic”

Ranked #49 of 4,419 Restaurants in Melbourne
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Loved the Laksa I had here and could not believe how cheap it was. Will be returning as it was amazing, the best I have tasted. Meal came out very quickly and was a very generous serve

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Agree with most of the comments below - big menu, good service, long queues (must book!), busy, busy, busy.

But I would not say authentic or the best in Melbourne because -
- roti chanai is obviously package stuff, not crispy, fresh off the grill.
- rendang is very much a top class beef curry but is not a truly dry-style rendang.
- kuay teow is very good in taste but lacked the 'char', and seemed to be missing the pork fat croutons. (But they include fresh shelled prawns.)
- ice kachang/ABC - nice but where is the canned corn and when did toasted shredded coconut get added to the mix? (that said, the gula melaka was quite generous.)

The good aspects -
'zap wei chow mein' - noodles were crispy, sauce was flavoursome, generous ingredients (prawn, veges, etc) on top.
wonton soup noodles (top class wontons, full of good prawns and seasoning)

This was first visit. Will return to try different dishes.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Upon returning from my trip to Penang, I told my Malaysian friend that I could not find any authentic Malaysian food in Melbourne CBD. It is then that he pointed me to this very busy, very crowded Malaysian restaurant "hidden" next to Flemington train station. He warned me that I may have to book in advance otherwise the queue can be quite long. And he was right. The first time we got there without booking, the long queue turned us off, so we went to the place next door. The next time we made a booking and was admitted, by-passing the now familiar long queue. The restaurant is quite large, and it was always very full. A sight that you may not see very often in Melbourne. However the food was good but not as great as I expected. The Char Kway Teow was way to oily. The roti chicken roll was soggy. Laksa seafood noodle - my favourite - was too sweet, and heavy on coconut cream. There were fancy dishes on the menu such duck tongue, duck feet etc... but I wasn't adventurous on that occasion. I have a feeling that the chefs must be under a lot of pressure to cook very fast for the large number of hungry customers, hence there is a lack of quality and attention to details. Overall, I have to say, I rate the one next door higher. See my review of "Chef Lagenda a better choice next door" :).

3  Thank Kanku9
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Went for the Duck Laksa with salt and pepper chicken ribs
The line was out the door, but that's just for people collecting takeaways!

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Love this place, great food, relaxed ambience. Always busy - a good sign for a restaurant. Have been a number of times, consistently good.