“Always good”

Laksa King
Ranked #24 of 4,034 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian, Singaporean, Malaysian
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Always good”
Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

If you like Laksa and your prepared to take the rough and tumble and noise level at Laksa King then you will be more than happy! We visit regularly and the quality and quantity is always reliable

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Bendigo, Australia
“Top laksa”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

The seafood and combination laksas set the level others don't seem to reach. Eating in is a bit ordinary.

Visited February 2012
Melbourne
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My absolute favourite dinner venue by far”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Absolutely LOVE Laksa King. You must try one of their famous Curry Laksa's or you just haven't lived.

Visited November 2012
Singapore
“Too crowded, cramped, noisy. Average Food.”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I dined at Laksa King with 2 other friends upon their recommendation but I was rather disappointed & don't get all the hype this place is getting.

What I like about Laksa King:
i) Fast service, we got our food quite fast
ii) Nice simple interior design (I heard they just moved to this new location & renovated it quite nicely)
iii) Wide variety of Malaysian Chinese menu selection
iv) Reasonable price

What I don't like about Laksa King:
i) Long queue & wait if you come during peak period. Luckily we had a reservation & a table was available, but a lot of people were waiting outside.
ii) While the interior design is nice, the tables are small & placed too close to each other, rather cramped, we ordered a number of items & there were hardly enough space on our table for the plates/bowls.
iii) Noise level were too high of people talking, its like at a busy pub or a noisy school canteen, too difficult to hear clearly what my friends across the table were saying.
iv) While the service was fast, it was not good service when the waiters keeping asking to clear our food away when we were pausing to talk, even when the plates/bowls were still half full. Its not once or twice but a few times, it gets really annoying when they keep asking to clear when you still chewing your food. I understand there were a lot of people waiting but we were still eating.
v) We ordered the Curry Laksa, Chicken Rice, Fried Kwey Teow, Chicken Satay, Fish Fillet Noodles and Teh Tarik. All tasted average. The Teh Tarik was flat; the curry laksa was rather watery; the chicken rice's chicken was not cooked well (still blood on the bones) while the rice was over cooked. The chicken satay was actually deep-friend not chargrilled like stated in the menu. I could honestly say, I had better Malaysian food elsewhere like Papparich or the newly open Mamak in Melbourne CBD.

All in all, we didn't enjoy our experience at Laksa King especially because of the average food, poor service & too noisy to talk.

• Visited September 2012
Lyon, France
“Best Laksa ever”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

As a Westerner, I tried laksa for the first time in my life at Laksa King, when they were still a small restaurant located in the shopping mall arcade. Then i visited again when they opened a bigger restaurant next door. The restaurant is getting full after 530pm.

I tried the Chicken Laksa several times. I was just blown away by the flavor and the taste! I became an addict and visited the restaurant regularly during my yearly stay in Melbourne.

I now live in Southeast Asia and I never found a laksa matching the taste of Laksa King. Truly a must try!!!! And optionally, their waitresses back in 2010 were pretty too!

• Visited November 2011