“Never again”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed December 6, 2013

As a lover of Asian food, I was so looking forward to our night in Melbourne & dinner in Chinatown. We ordered the banquet for 2 and knew as soon as they rushed the soup & spring rolls out together it was going to be a get us out so we can use your table dinner. To my disgust the meal sizes would have easily fit in a tiny takeaway container. No sooner I had finished scooping the food out of my dish the waiter was literally taking it out of my hands before I could even put it down & that is no exaggeration !! The food taste was just ok but the quantity and service was disgraceful. And have never been this angry over a dinner before & this is my first ever review. So if want to go to Chinatown for a good night don't do it there !!!!

Reviewed November 30, 2013

After a day wandering the streets of Melbourne, we were weary and in need of food near our hotel. We looked at many menus along the restaurants of Little Bourke St., and finally settled on Golden Orchids, mostly because their display menu highlighted many vegetarian options. They seemed to be in the process of closing up shop, but invited us in nonetheless. We ordered a couple of veggie curry puffs and a vegetarian noodle dish.

The curry puffs were tasty - light pastry with a well-balanced filling, and the vegetarian noodle dish came with an unexpectedly surprising amount of meat. Barbequed pork, prawns, and some other unidentified animals graced the plate, but we were too hungry to complain. And I'm glad we didn't - the dish was fantastic, vegetarian or not. Besides it being delicious, it was also one of the cheaper meals we had in Melbourne - great value and tasty food. Recommended if you're looking for a quick and tasty bite on your travels.

Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed the food , it was the best we have tasted in a long time ! Portions are bigger than expected for the price . Staff were very friendly and great if you have children.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

The hotel recommended this restaurant, and we are glad that we followed their recommendation. We were there on a late Sunday afternoon and had a great meal which included Vegetable Fried Rice, spring rolls, Szcehuan pork filled bean curd, and steamed vegetables. Each selection was a surprise in terms or its preparation and taste, wonderful. I also had their seafood eggdrop soup. Excellent!

Reviewed October 31, 2013

If you enjoy traditional satays with peanut sauce, this place will not let you down. It is not pretentious, the decor is a bit dated, but boy do they know how to cook satay! Have been coming herea couple of times a year for a few years now, and we have always walked out completely satisfied with both the food and the pricing. Keep up the good work!