“Excellent service”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We recently stayed at Punthill apartments in Cohen Pl, where the Chinese museum is.The Tea House restaurant on the ground floor of the apartments. It was a freezing night, so we decided to try the restaurant and it was an excellent choice. We had different entrees...chicken dumplings, dim sum, and San Choi Ban, all well made and cooked. Two had prawns for main, one cooked in a light batter, the other in a chili sauce, both agreed the food was enjoyable. A dish of sliced chicken cooked in chili and a light sauce and shredded steak lightly fried in Peking sauce, completed the order, both gained the tick of approval. The others had dessert, but I need to comment on my choice...toffee apple. It was presented with very fine strings of toffee over the apple, which itself was encased in crisp toffee. The apple, unlike many others I have eaten was crisp, an altogether delightful dish. There was a choice of beers and wines, as well a non-alcoholic drinks. I must mention the food service, it is the first Asian restaurant I have been in (and there's been a few) where there was silver service ! The dish came from the kitchen, the Maitre D' served it into dishes and the waitress brought the food to the table. The service was excellent, the right amount of time between the dishes, but, it is not cheap. As my friend remarked, we're a long time dead, so enjoy life!!

Reviewed May 29, 2014

This would have to be the best Chinese I have had. A group of 7 of us attended after seeing a show. We could not fault the food or the service. Even catered to allergies and decision changes on meals ordered. Definitely a return visit for us.

1  Thank Jenneane D
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Firstly I must address some clearly ridiculous Trip Advisor reviews! They almost turned me off trying this place, so BOO!!! to all you Nit Picking ordinary people. It's bad form to go on about money spent, Thousands?? Clearly they had reason not to, either remember, or value your patronage. David Zhou is the epitome of class & non intrusive service. He was with Flower Drum for years & he, along with Chef moved across the road to start their own, Tea House.

We spent a delightful evening at this beautiful quiet Restaurant last night, I say quiet because it's just off the madness of Chinatown, in Cohen Pl. it's also quiet due to the tasteful, slightly faded, furnishings designed to damp down noisy conversation from other tables. Also note, tables are well spaced!!! Yes, love that! The food; You Must try the Lobster Omelette! It's the best! The Dumplings, both Pot Stickers & steamed were so fresh & filled with the perfect amount of soup! Accompanying sauces excellent. My friend and I had the Seafood San Choi Bao, we loved how light, but tasty it was. Our partners ordered Quail San Choi Bou, again delicious, heavier & richer with the Plum sauce adding a little bite. Finishing up we decided to share half a Peking Duck, served in Pancakes made at the Pass by David himself. Incidentally David serves all the food going out, that way you get exactly the right amount for everyone, no matter how many are at the table. How many times have you shared a Chinese or whatever meal and had others take the Lions share? Of course he will plonk it in the middle of your table if you prefer to dine in that way. The Wine list seems limited, offering only one Sauvignon Blanc & one Chardonnay in the Whites. I didn't check anything else. Overall we had an excellent evening & will definitely hurry back.

1  Thank itscaro
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I would first like to say the food is good.
I have spent thousands at this place through business lunches.
When I went to go here for lunch with my wife and very well behaved child - I was asked what I wanted by the Manager upon entry, I replied with I wish to have lunch.
He looked me up and down and looked at my son and rudely grunted at me.
We where turned away by a extremely rude person.
I will no longer take any of my clients to this place I will spend my thousands else where.

2  Thank WillP81
Reviewed March 29, 2014

We had a small family dinner (6) and were delighted with the service and the food. A good wine list was also available. Each dish was a delight, with the Peking duck not disappointing. While the decor was a little tired, the meal overshadowed this. Happy to return