“somewhat disappointed” 2 of 5 bubbles

Neighborhood: Chinatown
Melbourne, Australia
“somewhat disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

I am sorry, but I have read through the positive reviews above & I can't say I agree. Personally I found the food just OK. I have eaten at Japanese restaurants before and I found this to be the worst. The meals sizes were very small considering the price. In fact we had 1 beer, 1 plum wine, stuffed shitake mushrooms (3 only), chicken teriyaki skewers (3 only) for entrée, then kingfish sushi (3 pieces of 4 types of fish) & vegetable tempura (1 piece of about 6 diff veg at most) for main. $137.00. Thursday night & nobody else in restaurant, in fact whilst walking back to our hotel after the meal we noticed lots of people about eating at other establishments. I have read other reviews for this restaurant on other websites & large proportion are negative for the same reasons. Wished I had read them before eating here & I'd have saved my pocket the expense. Thank heavens I didn't give my partner a chance to see the cost, it was my shout. Never again will we eat here.

• Visited November 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

melbourne
“Authentic Japanese Restaurant at Chinatown”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

This authentic Japanese restaurant is worth the price. Been to Japan, and have experienced the local eateries around. This restaurant embodies the Japanese cuisine. It is indeed a bit dear and people who are used to the cheap Japanese restaurants will be turned off with their price. Most of the so called Japanese restaurants around Australia are not real Japanese.
The service was superb and friendly. Food were properly cooked and very tasty. For us the plates are the right sizes. If you are a person who wants a huge plate to appease your appetite (buffet type of people), then this place is not for you. But if you like fine dining, then this is the place.
I love their eel dish and the tofu cheese. Definitely we will come back.

• Visited June 2013
Mollymook, Australia
“Good time, great food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

I agree with others a little pricey but the food is great and the service very lively. Go down into this place and just have a good time.

Visited May 2013
Busselton, Australia
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

If you want an experience in classic cooking a history of flavour then you must try
I have never experience tofu until I dined here and that's just the entree the rest is their to view
Quite and meaningful, delightful service one could expect. I'd highly recommend the experience

Price is high if you order to much which is easily done so around 60-100.00 per person with no limit to your pallet

• Visited September 2012
Melbourne, Australia
“Overpriced, exceptional service, great food, poor location, tiny restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

The prices would be fine if this restaurant was somewhere stunning in the city. Mains 35-50 for this location is a shame. Very good food and service however. They were able to highlight the best choices for our very tight deadline of 30 mins before our show started next door at Her Maj's.

• Visited April 2013