“Off the cuff birthday wish”

Dion Greek Restaurant & Taverna
Ranked #1,000 of 4,060 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Chinatown
New Zealand
“Off the cuff birthday wish”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

we visited here off the cuff , and the owner picked up in conversation that it was my partner's birthday.Just after we finished out mail course he came out with a large piece of layered cake a topped with a sparkler *candle*.They obviously had discos or dancing in the restaurant at times as he announced it was my partners birthday and wished him well, He then proceeded to play a special tune for us to dance to.
Such a wonderful meal and a wonderful experience of our Greek celebratory meal. Loverly food and great staff

Visited April 2013

Melbourne, Australia
“Fantastic food and prices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

Dinner here was fantastic and quite filling. I've been here about 4 times and always look forward to it when I know I'm going. The good thing about Greek food I find is that it's totally different to other types of food. It's also all quite healthy. The meats are grilled or roasted etc and there are lots of tasty salads. I'm not a salad person, but actually don't mind them when I come here.

The restaurant decor is great and sets the Mediterranean scene very well. The tables are not too crammed and are set far enough apart so that you're not squeezing past people to get to your seat. A pet hate of mine is a restaurant that tries to squeeze in as many tables as they can. It was also quite chilly outside, but the heating in the restaurant was just perfect.

I can't remember the name of the meals we had, but my entrée was a heated salad with chunks of feta. The main was a braised lamb dish. Both fantastic and very tasty! All of the meals I've had here I've been very happy with.

The waitress that served us was very pleasant, cheerful and smiled a lot. She was Italian I think and was always quite happy to answer any questions we had. The other times I've been here all the other waitresses have been just as pleasant to deal with.

A great night out!

Visited March 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
“Very Tasty!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

While on a short break away with my wife, we spotted the Greek Precinct of Melbourne and being an fan of Mediterranean style food this was a must do for us.

There are about 4 Greek restaurants beside each other in this area of Lonsdale Street and all look very inviting. The most inviting looking one on the night was full, but Dion's was empty. My wife was worried that the food would not be good here but I just said "at least we will get good service"... and we did.

We were welcomed by a delightful Italian girl who looked after us very well. She was ever so helpful with the food decision and our drinks and meals where delivered swiftly.

I had Chicken Souvlaki which was very flavorsome and obviously had quality ingredients, it was cooked perfectly and was a delight to the taste. My wife was also very happy with her Biftekia which I sneaked a taste of and agreed - Very Tasty!

By the time we had finished our meal the restaurant was almost full.

We fully enjoyed our meal at Dion and was a perfectly reasonable price. The only improvement I could recommend would be to add tablecloths, which would make it perfect!

• Visited March 2013
Launceston, Australia
“Not bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

I have eaten here probably half a dozen times now and find the food to be great and of decent portion size the front of house gentlemen is always pleasant but i find most of the other staff seem annoyed that they have to be working and that its an effort to serve us.

• Visited October 2012
Sydney, Australia
“had a good night, genuine Greek”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

we were a group of 4, had a mix of dishes amongst us - lamb, chicken and fish as well as enjoying a selection of starters which we shared. Everything was prepared and cooked well, friendly and efficient service from the staff. Felt reasonably priced night which included a selection of drinks.

• Visited January 2013