Dion Greek Restaurant & Taverna
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed December 16, 2011

My Partner and I ate here because we look for something out the ordinary that we do not usually eat. When we entered the resturant we were prompt welcomed by an older gentlemen who I would say was the owner. We asked for a table for two an were placed on the upper level right in the middle a series of tables that were reserved for a function, which was sort of strange. It took a little time to be served but when we were we ordered a share mezze platter and a bottle of wine and we informed the waitress that we would order the mains after the entree as we were unsure how hungry we would be. Our entree arrived and the dips on the platter were lovely could not fault the food. We finished the entree and waited for the waitress to come and ask us about mains. Nobody ever came to take our order so we finished our wine and left. The service was definately lacking however there was one waitress that was excellent she appeared to be the manager, if the other two staff were like her service would be great however the establishment was too busy on a Saturday night for the manager to attend to everyone. Because of the food I would consider trying this resturant again.

Reviewed October 7, 2011

My brother and I decided to eat here while staying in Melbourne. It was inviting and cosy, compared to the weather outside. We were seated straight away and given menus. The wait staff were friendly and definitely provided that Greek atmosphere. Our orders were taken quickly and we didn't have to wait long for our food.

I had lamb and chicken souvlaki with tzatziki dip, potatoes and Greek salad. It was delicious, well portioned and reasonable. It cost roughly 25 dollars per main. My brother had the moussaka, which he also said was great. The wait staff brought the bill over as soon as we asked and we left feeling full and satisfied. Would definitely come back again - a lovely family restaurant!

Reviewed September 16, 2011

At first sight this place looked fun if you like a retro decor, which I do. Not too busy, a few other tables occupied, not too noisy. The menu looked good, plenty of choices but fairly typical. Menus came at once and the food wasn't too slow either. My colleague and I shared an entree of eggplant which was a kind of mashed up dip but very delicious. For mains we both had lamb: she had souvlaki, I ordered what I thought would be a falling-off-the-bone baked lamb. Actually it was more like a lamb roast, not soft and garlicky but quite firm and not very flavourful although it was supposed to be done with lemon. A glass or two of extremely fine retsina went down well. As time went by the place filled up and the service seemed to get slower, people were drinking a lot and not eating. There was a lot of fluster going on between front of house and the kitchen. There was a peculiar atmosphere somehow and we didn't feel like lingering for dessert or coffee. It was not an outstanding Greek experience (which Melbourne is supposed to be good at offering) and it was overpriced for the quality of the food and the general atmosphere. Much better places nearby I was later told, though this was my first time in the area. Will try others and report next time I'm in town.

Reviewed February 15, 2011

soo!
it was my birthday. first time in melbourne. with how people brag about melbourne being a food destination i was disapointed partner wanted to take me out. we went here on the advise of hotel staff where we were staying..wish we didnt!

we walk into the place wasnt old bit tacky but i have have been in worse decorated resturants so it wasnt bad, was a full house so atmosphere was good.and my partner wanted to go i said na give it a chance.
we order a main which was a seafood basket for two. we waited an hour and a half.
the place was full and you could tell the 3 floor staff were struggling while the owner was being more of a hinder than a help.
the young girl kept apologising offering drinks which we declined (i have worked in the industry i have seen these tactics before) my partner was furious about the waiting and he explained it was my birthday. she said ow really let me get u a drink, once again declining. she then asked how old i was i replied that i was 22 and she said ow u look really old for 22... yep this young girl clearly had no idea!!!
we kept asking where our meal was and just as i grabbed my bag, finally we got it....the crab meat was over cooked wouldnt even come out of the shell chips from a take away by the look of it, batted sardines no taste over cooked prawn cuttlets. i have had many seafood baskets that are priced the same, i was think oysters, mussels,crab but not this. we spoke to the owner telling him the food was bad and he blamed his staff! saying the usual chef was off!(mate ur the one that hired them!!!!) after the whole night his staff was sticking up for him and he let them down.needless to say we walked out with out paying went up to the chinese place up the road got our meal in 10 minutes.
the whole night we had a lovely older man waiter, and he agreed when i asked if they need more staff, he told me he had been in the industry for over 30 yrs (i think the owner is very lucky to have this man at all! the services of this guy is a 5 out of 5) and he had never worked in a place like it before.
the owner is clearing a tight behind and does value his customers or staff so long as his pockets are lined.
needless to say i will NEVER go there again.

1  Thank starsnpow
Reviewed October 3, 2010

Dion's is a waste of space as far as I'm concerned. I wish I had had a lovely experience at this promising looking Greek restaurant on Lonsdale St, but unfortunately, after looking at what seemed like a mouthwatering menu, my night went downhill.

My partner and a friend were visiting Melbourne last week (we're from Sydney), and having done Lygon St the night previously, we decided to venture into the Greek Precinct for our last night (a Wednesday). What a mistake.

When we looked at the menu, we all agreed that the food sounded terrific, so we walked into the tackily decorated Dion's. In the five minutes (with no exaggeration) that we stood standing in the doorway waiting to be seated, we noticed only two other medium-sized tables who already had their meals in front of them.

A man with a strong accent and seemingly a lovely, bubbly personality approached us and pointed to a table claiming he would be with us shortly.

Ten minutes later, he did return with menus...
After another 20 minutes (yes, TWENTY minutes to stare at, and possibly try to memorise, the short menu), he decided he might as well take our drinks and food order.

We watched him stand behind the bar for a good fifteen minutes, scribbling furiously into a book. We thought that since he was behind the bar, he was getting our drinks. We were wrong. He went into the kitchen a few times, came back out to the bar, served another couple that had just walked in and presented them with their entrees within that time... and we STILL hadn't gotten our drinks. The restaurant wasn't busy at all, and there was another waitress on serving other tables.

We watching him as he sat back behind the bar and continued writing for about another ten minutes. We decided that if he left the bar without our drinks, we would up it and leave.

Guess who didn't eat Greek that night?

We walked up to Lygon St and got complimentary drinks in a little Italian restaurant within 3 minutes. BLISS.

Sitting in a poorly decorated restaurant for an hour without drinks let alone an entree didn't really cut it for an 'authentic Greek experience.' This restaurant had the most horrific service (if you could even call what happened 'service') and was really a horrible experience.