“True class”

Neighborhood: Central Business District
Brisbane, Australia
“True class”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

After hearing rave reviews from many friends I finally got to go to Il Bacaro with a good friend of mine. We booked a table for lunch and stayed for a good while, thoroughly enjoying the food, wine and service.

I started with the Jerusalem Artichoke and my friend had the Venison Carpaccio. My artichoke came with a scallop in ribbons and a wonderful pickled mussel. Both dishes were so beautiful in such different ways.

My friend then had the Moreton Bay Bug Spaghetti, which had the classic clean and simple flavours of Italian cooking that I love. The Bugs were lovely and Juicy.

Then I had the duck, and my friend the Suckling Pork. Again, both were to die for. I have never had such beautifully cooked duck before, the skin just melted in my mouth.

We finished by sharing the Agave Cheesecake which was the highlight for me (just!). It came with fairy floss, honeycomb, violet ice cream and popping rocks. A truly unique dish that I will come back for.

The staff were very helpful with wine recommendations. We chose to have a different glass with each course and all were delicious and well matched. It was a wonderful way to spend a relaxed afternoon, and we both felt that the value for money was outstanding, considering the expertise that was apparent in every aspect of our time there.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Sofiaflorence

Manila
“Tucked away in the quiet end of Lt. Collins”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

If you are on the lookout for a quiet place with a very intimate ambiance, this restaurant is worth the try. Bookings are essential because the seats are limited, and there are also a few bar chairs. Servings are well plated and not as sizeable as other restaurants. No complains about the taste and it is evident that food is well prepared, flavours are not compromised as ingredients are not taken for granted. Waiters seem to frown a bit on sharing food as it is certainly not a family style place. Dining is on the pricey side. I am a bit underwhelmed considering the reviews I've read.

• Visited August 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“small little italian restaurant”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Has a business lunch here with client. Good food and good atmosphere. I would go back, located in paris end of little collins. Some great little boutique fashion shops around for some retail therapy after lunch.

Visited February 2013
“We love you”
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Our meal was outstanding from the moment we booked until we left. They rang to confirm the booking and than had our table ready when we arrived. The service was outstanding, the food unfalable and just delicious. The wine knowledge was remarkable, our wine was corked and they picked up on it at the same time as us and were ready with a replacement. We have eaten here a few times and this was still as good as ever. Keep up the great work.

Visited August 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Consistently good - confident, assured service and beautifully cooked food”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I love this restaurant and visit almost every time I'm in Melbourne for work. Whether I'm hosting work lunches, or simply enjoying dinner solo, the experience is always outstanding. A warm welcome, competent service, and considered advice on wine and food choices. The food has been consistently good in the 15 years since I first visited. The shallow fried calamari with rocket and balsamic entree is a favourite as is the hand cut pappardelle with lamb ragu or the sublime roasted duck breast with parsnip purée. I would love to see Vitello tonnato back on the menu as it was the best I've ever enjoyed. The wine list is good, with plenty of choices by the glass with a lovely cheese plate. Staff here always look like they enjoy their work and take pride in delivering a great experience for you. The central bar does a brisk trade in counter dining, while tables sit cosily into spaces either side. It is always full when I visit and bookings are recommended. Dependable.

• Visited May 2013