“Basic apartments in a good location”

Plum Carlton Serviced Apartments Melbourne
Ranked #113 of 153 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

The Plum Apartments had little service but were functional.
Negatives- very narrow beds, heating did not work
Positives- kitchen facilities and close to restaurants and shops
The rooms met our needs but it was a shame it was so cold and when we reported heating issues we only returned to our room to find an extra blanket. Overall fairly good value for money however heating issues do need to be addressed.

• Stayed: June 2013

Reviewed May 23, 2013

My husband and I had a very happy stay at Plum's Carlton property for about two weeks. Obviously this property has some very mixed reviews but I think that depends a bit on what you're expecting, it's definitely not a fancy hotel. It's an inner city apartment building with front desk and housekeeping service. General observations:

Room: The one bedroom apartment we stayed in was spacious, comfortable and well equipped. It had all the facilities that other reviewers have mentioned, a couch, a coffee table, a small work/dining table with two chairs, generous sized wardrobe with drawers and shelves as well as full length hanging space, iron, ironing board, a clothes airer, a mini dishwasher, electric cooking facilities, pans, cutlery, toaster, kettle, etc. The kettle was an old plastic thing with a broken filter, and we didn't report it because it worked fine and it didn't matter to us but the housekeeping staff saw it and of their own initiative replaced it with a shiny new stainless steel kettle. The double bed was quite comfortable with clean linen and sheets provided every other day.

Lighting: Lighting is very important to us, and more so because the rooms were otherwise dull and grey. The light globes weren't very bright, the non-street facing room I inspected seemed a bit dark even with lights on and blinds up. There was much better natural light in the room facing Swanston St (which we chose to stay in). The blinds couldn't completely block out the city light at night, which I was happy with but my husband prefers to sleep in total darkness. With the lights off at night it wasn't bright like being outside but you could walk around inside and see enough to not trip over things. The best part about the lighting was the bedside lamps, they gave a very soft red light, PERFECT for reading and winding down without light getting in your eyes to keep you awake. I think those were the best bedside lamps I've ever used.

Noise: Didn't matter much to us because we've lived in noisy cities, which is good because in rooms facing Swanston St you hear city noises (people, cars, trams and what not) till 2 am. I personally enjoy city sounds so apart from the occasional _very_ loud people walking under my window, I didn't mind the noise at all. We didn't hear any noise at all from our neighbours, although movements outside did make our door move and the frequent mild "click click" noise from that could get annoying if someone was sensitive about things like that.

Smells: There were definitely cooking smells in the corridors and common areas, sometimes the smells even came into our room. They weren't terrible smells for the most part though and I didn't find myself too troubled by them. When I cooked, I made sure to have the exhaust running and the windows open so as to minimize my contribution to the building smells.

Bathroom: Spacious with a good sized mirror, generous flat surface area either side of the sink and shelves under the sink. Really good water pressure and heat.

Parking: They had 3 car parking spots available for guest use at daily cost, and we used one of those spots for our entire stay. It was good secure undercover parking with the only problem being no lift into the building from the basement carpark, so we had to lug our bags up a few stairs to get to the ground floor before taking the lift up to our floor.

Laundry: A good number of large coin operated washing machines and dryers on the ground floor near the reception. The dryer filters didn't seemed to be cleaned much though, they were full of lint and I had to be really careful getting my clothes out of the dryer to protect them from getting lint off the filter.

Value for money: Within minutes' walk of Melbourne University, Lygon St, CBD, Swanston St trams; with on site parking, kitchen, laundry facilities, daily housekeeping - at less than $100 per night. Pretty much unbeatable!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ari-A87
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I don't like writing bad reviews but PLEASE DO NOT stay here!!

It was smelly the moment we got here! From the entrance to the lift & all the way to our room!

It was small & depressing. In need of a fresh coat of paint!!

The images I had seen which convinced me to bookin are nothing to the real thing.

The bathroom walls are streaky & dirty because of the steam, little ventilation in the bathroom.

We took this trip to Melbourne to celebrate our 1yr wedding anniversary & due to the accommodation our trip was not as exciting or relaxing! Not worth $119 per night that's for sure! Very disappointed!!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank NBPetelo
Reviewed March 29, 2013

For being simple, I just arrive from oversea and spend some (short, but already to long) time in :

Noise: you can not sleep (or be peaceful) because you heard a lot of "hit", "slap" or "kick" from door/foot/spoon... You also heard the toilet, the shower... everything... very VERY VERY NOISY

Smell: after 2 days, your clothes smell the food of your neighbour... and it is worse when you open the windows... they start at the elevator and follow you every where.

Dirty: mark on the carpet, corridor very dirty (nuclear bomb exploded or what?), see some cockroachs.

SO : do not spend 1 day in. PLEASE DON'T DO THE SAME MISTAKE THAN ME

DON'T GO

Room Tip: The noise come from the people inside... like the odours so just don't go
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Angry_And_Bored
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Melbourne is flush with investor-funded apartments at the moment; so arises Plum Apartments, fully-functional apartments rented out cheap to nightly guests. These are in a great location with full cooking facilities (including a dishwasher but not an oven). The beds aren't the most comfortable (my double was actually two singles with fairly hard mattresses and cheap linen). And the cheap window blinds will let in some light in. That said, my room was very spacious and regardless of the bedding I had a good sleep. There are air conditioners for each room but no internet. I got a non-street-facing apartment and was happy with this. The reception is not manned twenty four hours but there was someone on-site for my late check-in. There are strict noise controls on residents; so you shouldn't be disturbed by internal noises or events.

Room Tip: A non-street-facing apartment may be the best choice.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank markinperth
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Upon arrival, you might be disappointed with what you see. The exterior of the building certainly does have an odd look about it.

And while you might get the impression the building owners are just cramping in as many people as they can, after even just one night staying there you learn to be ridiculously grateful for what you've got.

For very reasonable rates you find yourself in a clean, well-equipped room just 200 metres from Lygon Street or 50m from a tram stop that can get you to the heart of the CBD in a flash. This location is also ideal for out-of-town visitors to the Melbourne University.

I stayed for five nights and didn't feel at all cramped during my time there. The room had a couch, a small table with two chairs, fridge, cooking utensils, stovetop, air-conditioning, iron and ironing board, dishwasher and a double bed. The bathroom was clean and recently refurbished (good pressure and hot water). And the room was serviced each weekday.

I must confess that upon arrival I had three complaints:
1) My room did not have a frypan
2) the TV in my room only picked up the ABC (it was not a digital TV) and
3) despite my request when booking, I was not away from the main streets as I was worried about the noise.

I returned to reception and was told by the staff member that while she didn't think she'd be able to help, she'd leave a note about it for the manager in the morning. I wasn't holding my breath ...

Sure enough, the next morning a delightfully friendly woman came and knocked on my door with a full and complete new kitchen set (pots and pans). I was very impressed.

Then, when I came home later that day - my new room had a brand new digital TV. I was even more impressed.

And the noise was, for the most part, not at all a problem and in the end I quite liked hearing a little bit of the city sounds in the evenings and the morning. One thing to be mindful of is that there is a coffee shop on the Queensberry St side that starts setting up at about 4.30am - they can be quite loud but there isn't much that the hotel can do about that.

The service that I experienced during my stay (particularly in the examples above) was incredible and was enough to convince me to stay again. The location and value for money help seal the deal.

I'm often concerned when I read these reviews that people might forget the ancient creed 'You get what you pay for'. Plum Carlton is not going to be the Hilton or the Hyatt, but for a $100-$110 a night I think this is great value in a great location.

Room Tip: While I didn't have any problems with noise, if you can avoid being on the Swanston St side or o...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Wadsworth25
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed in the one bed apartment for six nights while attending a training course nearby. Great accommodation and location for the money.

Yes, it is a little basic but everything in the apartment worked, was clean on arrival and serviced minimum every two days on my visit. Importantly, the shower was full pressure and hot, which is always a good thing when travelling.

I stayed in a room overlooking the central courtyard and it was a little noisy at times but not too bad - or late.

Supermarket and transport links close by as well as Lygon Street for morning coffees and nightly food / people watching.

Staff were very attentive, organised shuttle bus pick ups etc and allowed luggage storage on my last day.

No problems from me and will use this place again with no hesitations!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking central courtyard!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business