“Great food that runs like clock work”
Review of Stalactites

Stalactites
Ranked #64 of 4,023 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Sydney, Australia
“Great food that runs like clock work”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

We went for dinner the night before Anzac Day and we knew we were on a winner when there was a small queue to get in. The queue didn't take too long to clear because the place ran like clockwork.

We ordered a combination of dips, pita, kasiki (goat) and kouneli (rabbit). It was all warm and flavorsome food, just like you'd get it in a restaurant in Greece. The servings were quite good (not overly generous - Greek sizes but they were sensible). We looked around at what others had and everyone seemed to have the same experience we did. The drink menu also included wines and spirits from Greece as well, which were also reasonably priced.

It was a busy night but the service didn't suffer for it. Our order was taken when it should and our food arrived when it should. Running like clockwork was a double-edged sword. While it worked well, it felt a bit impersonal. Also, there weren't any wait staff that were Greek. I'm a person that if I go to a Greek restaurant, I like to get a cultural understanding of the food from a Greek. If it was a Chinese food, then a Chinese person and so on.....I think you get my drift.
These are very little things that are certainly not deal-breakers but just observations.

On a more positive note, this is a 24-hour restaurant so you can rock up for a food meal at any time you like (I wish we had those at time!!)

The price of the food wasn't too bad. The average main was between $20-$25 but given that Greek food is labour intensive and this is in the CBD, didn't mind it.

Overall, I enjoyed my experience at Stalactites and I think it certainly sets a benchmark for how restaurants should be run (albeit a little more personal).

• Visited April 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Fingal Head,NSW
“Popular with locals”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

This Greek restaurant is open 24 hours a day,7 days a week and it always seems to be crowded.The food is good and plentiful and the service up to standard.Worth a visit but no bookings just stand in the queue.

Visited April 2014
Chipping Norton, Australia
“Very friendly and massive meals”
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

We were greater by a waiter and shown to a table upstairs!! It's pretty standard Greek food with massive portions and super tasty food!! Though my wife's 13$ open plate kebab was the same size plate and amount as my 27$ meal.. I would definitely and will return

Melbourne, Australia
“Great feed...”
Reviewed April 4, 2014

Everything you'd expect from a typical Greek establishment, situated in Melbourne's Greek Precinct. Perfectly cooked grilled meat, variety of delicious dips and warm pita bread.

Visited April 2014
Sydney
“Great Greek”
Reviewed April 1, 2014

We arrived a little bit later than we hoped and the place was packed. There was a short queue outside and we only had a 10 minute wait to be seated. Both starters and mains were great, many dishes do come with chips / fries and if it was me, I would not include these. There is plenty of food and they clash with the "Mediterranean Diet" thing. Still, you can ask not to have them. Overall, very good and staff are great too.

• Visited March 2014