New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Bistro Vue
Ranked #140 of 3,776 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: Bistro Vue's lauded menu is classic French cooking at its best: steeped in tradition, using the finest produce. Premium oysters and caviar crown a selection of sublime appetisers, exquisite entrees and magnificent mains boasting the very best of meat, fish and garden produce. Guaranteed to satisfy any craving. Our weekday 'plat du jour' menu offers unbeatable value with a prime main, salad, and glass of wine for just $32, celebrating the historic art of fine French cuisine. Our sides, fashioned from Victoria's best produce, seamlessly tailored to our prime courses, mare perfect for sharing, while our deceptively simple desserts unite technique, precision, and knowledge to crest a truly memorable mouthful. And what bistro experience would be complete without cheese? Our enviable trolley selection will satisfy even the most discerning fromage fancier. Bistro Vue: a taste of France you won't soon forget.
Melbourne, Australia
“Magnifique!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

This was our third visit to celebrate our daughter's birthday. Don't let the noice and the busyness along the side entry turn you off, as the ambience is different inside. Once you enter the inner sanctum of the restaurant, the ambience is refinined and calm. Seatings were comfortable and spacious with a strong hint of a Parisienne bistro. We started with a beautiful platter a variety of oysters which were fresh and delicious. Steak tartare, fresh Mackerel, French onion soup, stuffed Courgette flowers, and an innovative dish of Chorizo and duck egg followed as entrees. Mushroom risotto with extra truffle shavings, stuffed pig's trotter, dory meuniere, and a fish of the day dish were thoroughly enjoyed after the entrees. We finished the meal with a variety of dessert, which were all scrumptious! My son had a selection of petit fours from a trolley, which was impressive. The meal was accompanied by glasses of French champagne and very good local red wine. It was memorable and we look forward to the next visit.

Visited July 2013

Sydney, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Underwhelming”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

The meals were reasonable but overpriced. The portion sizes are small. Service was aloof. Would not go back.

Visited July 2013
Melbourne
“Beautiful food in lovely atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

My husband and his parents visited Bistro Vue on July 19. Loved the atmosphere and the French music playing. Service was excellent, just as I would expect for such a restaurant. Never had to work hard to get someone's attention. Water frequently topped up. I had the snails which were delicious and the seafood pasta, as well as the snickers dessert ... just couldn't say no. Food was excellent and normal portion sizes which is always so enjoyable. I find it so frustrating to eat at places where the portions are huge and you either feel bad because you leave food or you overeat and feel unwell. My husband had the wagyu rib eye cut which was one of the most amazing pieces of steak I have ever tasted. Really couldn't fault the evening... thinking hard of some constructive feedback - nope... nothing! Lovely night!

Cairns
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

We dined at Bistro Vue on 2nd July. I was very excited about dining here as we were on a short holiday and I'd planned out every meal. There was my husband, 9 year old son and myself. I'd scanned the menu prior to arriving in Melbourne and had already decided what I wanted to order.

In short, both my husband and I were disappointed. Our son was happy enough with the children's menu. I should add that I was impressed that they had a children's menu, I thought we'd be ordering something off the main menu for our boy.

Having just purchased a copy of Shannon Bennett's "Paris" where he reviews restaurants in Paris, I was upset with the fact that the simple food on his menu at Bistro Vue was mediocre. The sauces which accompanied the steak were bland. Sauces should be the highlight of these simple bistro dishes. The french onion soup was nothing special. We decided not to order any dessert. All up, the food was OK. Wine was fantastic and there is a great selection.

The staff were pleasant and very attentive. The decor was gorgeous! I loved the whole feel and ambiance of the space - very appealing and authentic.

I'd probably go back and try again as I seem to be in the minority when reading other reviews. I really want to enjoy dining here.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Sydney, Australia
“Expensive deliciousness”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

We booked this in advance of a short holiday in Melbourne, excited by the menu and the cachet of the chef. The meal was lovely, the room and decor quite French bistro with caned chairs, wine bottles and floral touches.
Having several excellent meals in quick succession means one has fewer courses, so we opted for a main and dessert.
I had the slow cooked secondary cut of wagyu. Cooked sous vide at a constant low temperature for about 9 hours, it was still pink and so, so tender. It was bolar blade I believe, like you have never had it. Highly recommended.
Partner had Pork belly, loin, black pudding, Calvados sauce and was disappointed that the pork belly skin was soft and the fat un-rendered, where he had expected crisp crackle. He left that bit and enjoyed the rest, but I would also expect a crisp crackle on pork belly. Flaccid skin is not so enjoyable nor so much a contrast with the melting flesh. Surprisingly, he really enjoyed the black pudding which would not normally appeal.
We accompanied this with petit pois which were amazing and loaded with butter. The entire meal oozed richness...maybe too much.
Dessert was chocolate souffle and creme brulee. I am interested in souffles these days. Flour seems to be omitted and the dessert is more like a meringue cooked in a copper pot and the texture and taste is different from what I learned as a girl many years ago. Had I parted my souffles with a knife and poured in a warm sauce, all would have collapsed. These days it stands tall and the taste is far more meringue. I couldn't finish this. Too sweet and too textureless.
Partner enjoyed the traditional creme brulee, nice and thin in its terracotta pot with a decent layer of caramelised sugar. Not exceptional but good but with much heartburn later.
While the wine list had many interesting wines, the prices were astronomical, at least 3x bottle shop prices. It galls me to find wine lists starting at $60 or thereabouts for wines I can easily find in bottle shops at $20, like Cape Mentelle, sold at $60, or a Gigondas at $46 in a bottle shop for $120. Fair enough if they have sought out unusual wines, and many are, but not for the normal ones. And quite frankly, people would be happier to spend on the food if they knew there was wine available at a reasonable mark-up.
We did not eat excessively this night but we did have a disturbed night. Even two courses were too rich.
Verdict: Stunning cooking for the most part, watch the richness factor if you are likely to be affected. Wine prices start high and go to astronomical. Bottled water is also expensive (more than we paid in a three Michelin star in Paris) Go for chilled and free tap water.

• 2 of 5 bubbles