“Nothing Great”

Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: South Melbourne
Description: Artisanal coffee and inventive brunches in a trendy warehouse space with edgy, distressed decor. Come with us on a journey through space and time ... Like the discovery of most commodities, coffee was highly prized, mostly misunderstood and appreciated for its medicinal purposes. We’re talking about the 15th century, here. Fast-forward a few hundred years past the Y2K and you’ll see the beginnings of the ST. ALi Family in South Melbourne in 2005 placing a strong ethos on quality beans and unique brewing methods. Yes, we take our coffee very seriously- serious enough to be named one of the most pretentious things ever in a Buzzfeed listicle in 2013. But, that’s not all we’re known for. Head Barista, Matt Perger placed first in the World Coffee & Good Spirits Championship in 2014; Second in the 2013 World Barista Championship for his redial, rethink on filter coffee- a paradigm shift in the category- as well as winning first place in the 2012 World Brewer’s Cup. Matt Perger and his coffee disciples or boy band counterparts have toured all over the globe starring in pop-up cafes, master classes and merchandise signings. Now, you’ll find our family has expanded from our warehouse-chic flagship in Yarra Place to Sensory Lab, Clement, Tom Thumb, Plantation and Deadman Espresso. But that’s not all… Food is pretty damn important too! We thought that cafe food could be more than just some avocado on toast, and serious coffee deserves serious food. The early days saw pan-Asian influences from Benjamin Cooper (now at Chin Chin and Kong), dishing up sticky wings, grilled kingfish heads and zingy glass noodle salads next to your plate of poached eggs and corn fritters, ultimately inspiring “ST. ALi Nights,” which John Lethlean described as, “stimulating, thought provoking, and (for me) one of the most successful bits of hospitality-industry lateral thinking Melbourne has seen in quite a while” Today, we have Executive Chef Andy Gale in charge of the pans. Gale is known for his dishes with punny names, Oxford commas and wizard-like abilities to make offal sought after in a breakfast- clear signs of his British upbringing and culinary path under Pierre Koffmann, Bruce Paul and Gary Rhodes. With Gale at the helm, food is no second fiddle; he has turned up the heat to create a truly inspired hybrid restaurant-cafe menu, so good that in 2013 he bought home the Best Food prize in The Age Good Cafe awards. In the next chapter- twenty fifteen and beyond- we will be moving into our new kitchen, turning the food up yet another notch and re-birthing ST. ALi Nights but this time with Gale leading the pack. Things may be a little left of centre at ST. ALi, but never done by halves.
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Ok so I wanted to see what all the hype was about with this place so my partner and I decided to check it out for a Sunday morning breakfast. Upon arrival we had to wait only 5mins for a table, we were seated at a shared table and offered coffee. The establishment itself is down a laneway in an old warehouse, had a mixed crowd of both young and old. We ordered a skim cappuccino and a soy latte expecting it to blow our socks off but the coffee was in very small cups and was very strong, only just warm and a little bitter, and took nearly 10mins to arrive. The breakfast menu was extensive I didn’t really get the whole eggs at 63deg for 63minutes, so I opted for Granola Muesli and my partner the Porridge. The Muesli was nice, not great had a small scoop on yogurt on the side with the muesli on the other side with fresh strawberries on top. I had to ask twice for some milk to go with my muesli as the yogurt doesn’t go far, I’m not sure why this wouldn’t come with a dry muesli on the side in a jug (I heard others ask also) I had to sit and wait 10mins for some milk before I could finish my breakfast. My partner had the porridge and was the worst he had ever had, barely warm and only about 1 cup, barely covered the bottom of the bowel and for $17 expect a lot more, he left still hungry. Overall think it’s a great concept very busy and noisy, the food and coffee are both overpriced and overrated. Cost us for a simple breakfast $38 and we both left hungry and disappointed. Too many other lovely places to try before I go back here again.

2  Thank Frequentoztravellers

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Visited the cafe on a saturday morning. Was a short wait. When there is a waiting list you always know its a sure thing. The atmosphere inside was awesome. Shared tables are a bit awkward. Coffee was nice. Wife had a orange juice which was pricey at $8 and only average. Had the Royale burger which i would recommend!

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Is this place worth a visit. The food is simply delicious and its very difficult choose as you look at what the other dinners have as they all look good! The corn fritters are a must and the coffee is great. It has a great atmosphere and the casual cool feel makes you want more!

Reviewed January 26, 2013

You have to know where this place is (down an inauspicious laneway behind Clarendon St) and you may have to wait (10-15 minutes) for a table but once inside.... Funky ambience (did the factory personnel just vacate?), friendly and fun staff and blow the mind brunch style food not to mention exceptional coffee. A hoot! But, baby boomers be warned - you may feel a little lonely aka conspicuous.

Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Oh St Ali, how you thrill me; the fruity Costa Rican long Black, the silky, buttery, scrumptious scrambled and the perfectly smoked delicious bacon. On top of that, the staff are so welcoming, so patient, and all top of the good looking pile. What an easy place to enjoy. It is sometimes noisy, and sometimes crowded but you will always come away well fed and caffeinated.