“Downstairs...no complaints at all”
Review of Finz

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: North Melbourne
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Downstairs...no complaints at all”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Dined here last Saturday night and as per the last couple of times weve been, had no complaints. Service first rate and the food likewise. Surprised there werent more poeple there although it was a chilly evening.

Would recommend without hesitation

• Visited October 2012

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Would not return for half the price”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

As other reviewers said this restaurant is in Sandringham, not Melbourne itself. We checked TripAdvisor before going in and entered based on the good reviews - only to be very disappointed I am afraid. Note that this is the upstairs restaurant.

We had Oyster natural for the starter, which were very good. The service left us wanting, e.g., the bread plates were removed after we ordered and before we got any bread (there was also no bread on the menu) - makes you wonder what they were for.

I had a Bouillabaisse (on the special menu for the day - $49.90) and my wife had a BBQ'd crayfish (market price, turned out to be $150). Plates were cold - while the seafood appeared good, although somewhat overcooked the broth in the Bouillabaisse was the worst I ever had ... normally I never leave any broth - here I had only a few spoons before giving up.

The Crayfish was chewy, even considering it can be difficult to cook. The roast potatoes were fried and tasted of fries and the vegetables were cold.

We skipped desert - coffee (long black) must have been the worst we had since we moved to Melbourne over a year ago, downright watery. I asked for some Grappa - which was on their menu - but they had none.

Just re-reading the review to see if it is too harsh, but I am afraid to say it isn't. Needless to say that we will not be back.

• Visited September 2012
New York
“FANTASTIC SEAFOOD WITH GREAT VIEW”
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Wonderful fresh seafood and excellent staff. This year we had to eat at the cafe level as 92 y.o. mum not up to climbing stairs to upper level. The food was just as good and we had another
wonderful time. We ordered the hot and cold seafood platter and the BBQ seafood platter and
enjoyed every bite. The prices are reasonable given the high quality of food served. Wish they had an elevator for upper level, otherwise, no complaints. Will go back.

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank czechmateNewYork
Melbourne, Australia
“Great food, great service”
Reviewed May 7, 2011

I took my partner here tonight and we were immediately welcomed and promptly taken to our table. Our waiter, Aaron, was very professional and polite and really made us feel welcomed and at ease.
We ordered the Garlic Prawns and the Surf and turf (this one being from the evenings specials menu), with a side serving of herbed vegetables.
The Garlic Prawns really were amazing, with a generous serve size and the prawns cooked to perfection.
The Surf and Turf was ordered medium rare and they did a really great job of this also. The steak, for the most part, cut really nicely and was very well presented and the prawns, as expected were very nice.
The vegetables were a particularly nice accompaniment to the meals and offered a very nice texture and flavour to the mix.
The only shortcoming I could offer at this stage is that the drinks waiter was a little overzealous and frequently arrived at our table and interrupted our conversations to inquire how our night was going. This would have been perfectly acceptable if he had not done this over 10 times during our sitting. However, he appeared to be reasonably new so I have no doubt his level of professionalism will improve over time.

It is a beautiful venue and is definately recommended. We will certainly be returning.

• Visited May 2011
2 Thank JulznGrum
Melbourne, Australia
“Excellent - but maybe a little overpriced?”
Reviewed December 17, 2010

This was my third visit to Finz upstairs seafood restaurant in Sandringham and it just keeps getting better. The staff are friendly and accommodating, highly professional - nothing is too much trouble. The restaurant itself has a light, bright airy atmosphere, formal without being pompous and stuffy. The view is lovely.

My friend and I decided to start by sharing an entree - salt and pepper squid, which came with a little bowl of asian inspired dipping sauce and some fresh salad leaves in a tasty dressing. The dish was delightfully tender and tasty, perfectly cooked.

For my main meal I decided on one of the specials of the day - tandoori groper which came with rice, yoghurt and some salad. It was absolutely beautiful, fresh, tender, melt in the mouth gorgeous. My friend had barramundi fillet which she proclaimed as delicious.

The servings are of a good size so no desert was needed - an overall superb dining experience.

My only negative comment would be that Finz perhaps is a little over priced. We had one entree, two main meals and two bottles of their least expensive sparkling wine which came to around $170 or $85 each. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to pay it now and then but would be tempted to Finz more often if it was a little more reasonable. Bayside is full of very good restaurants that also serve great food that don't charge so much. Maybe Finz would find the restaurant consistantly full, rather than mostly empty (on the occassions I have been anyway) if they brought their prices down a bit and their customers felt they were getting better value for money. However, that is a minor point and I definitley recommend this restaurant to friends but would point out that it is pricey.

1 Thank ausrose