“Absolutely amazing!”

Ranked #21 of 4,515 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: In the heart of Federation Square with some of Melbourne's most impressive views, Chocolate Buddha is a Japanese casual dining experience. The menu consists of sushi, sharing dishes, Ramen & Donburi. We cater for vegetarians and have a substantial gluten free section on our menu. We cater for functions for 8 people and more and have great sharing function menus We hope to see you soon
Reviewed November 23, 2011

Can't get enough of it. Saw some negative reviews but we were extremely satisfied.

Reviewed November 17, 2011

We've been to Chocolate Buddha a number of times and used to enjoy it greatly. Its a large restaurant with both indoor and outdoor seating at low tables with bench seats. Over the last 12 months it has been losing its appeal for us and last night was no exception. When we got there we asked to share a sushi and sashimi platter and a glass of wine while we decided what to have for a main course. At $24 for 12 pieces (6 sushi and 6 sashimi) I expect to get seafood of exceptional quality - almost melt in the mouth. This platter, which in the end arrived after our main courses, was very disappointing. I had to remove some pieces of fish from my mouth as they were just too chewy to eat. The Bento boxes we had were OK, but the chicken in both was very dry. On the plus side, they do have a separate gluten free menu which makes it easier to order if you need to eat this way (although none of the GF options come with any sauce other than wheat free tamari and it would seem that with a little extra effort they could source GF sauces to use, or make their own!). Overall, for the money, I think that they could pay a bit more attention to the quality of the produce and the cooking.

Reviewed October 13, 2011

We revisited this place after having been there with locals about 4 years ago....nothings changed!
Quality well presented food that ticks all the boxes, and this from us that had never tried Japanese food before as we thought it was perhaps an acquired taste.
Staff are happy to suggest dishes to share...we had a "Bento Box" each....a selection of tasters that was more than satisfying.
Sake all round...nice as well. Give it a try.

Reviewed September 16, 2011

A great Sunday night venue to eat & people watch in Federation Square.
Agadashi Tofu is so so silken & tasty I always have it whenever here. Whatever i choose as a main has always been good, fresh, tasty & served hot.
The place is always busy & it's best to either book for later or arrive early.

Reviewed August 29, 2011

I usually avoid Fed Square restaurants as my perception is they're a bit of a tourist trap - average food with above average prices. So it took a bit of convincing from my hubby who suggested we go there when we couldn't get into Movida. I was pleasantly surprised by the service and food.

We were early (6.30pm) so had no trouble getting seated but I noticed by 7pm people who hadn't booked were being turned away. Lesson 1: Eat early.

Our waiter was a young guy who was friendly and helpful with recommendations. I asked the waiter if what I ordered was enough for a very hungry lady and he suggested an extra dish. My husband grumbled that it was too much, I suggested we live dangerously and just go for it. After a bit of a heated debate we went with the waiters suggestions. We waited 20minutes for our first dish, which was too long, but the vegetarian gyozas were soft and flavoursome. The Tori Miso Ramen, a chicken noodle soup was good value. Good selection of vegies and noodles but was a little salty.

The deep fried barramundi was a real disappointment. The fish tasted frozen, was overcooked and tasted like an overpriced plate of fish fingers. Not recommended.

I was really looking forward to the soft shell crab sushi rolls, which are their signature dish. All the elements were there: it's an inside out roll filled with crab, cucumber, avocado, dusted in roe with tartate sauce. Sound great and tasted okay but was a little bland. Perhaps I expected more after the waiter talked it up.

One more thing. Don't expect to linger after your meal. As soon as you're done they slap the bill on the table, subtly suggesting your time is up. Still, a good meal at reasonable prices.

1  Thank BethShan42