“uninterested food service”

Cuisines: Asian
Australia
“uninterested food service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2012

i came with a large group and we pre ordered our meals. the food was ok, albeit very slow.

but what stood out and promted this review was lack of initiative of wait staff who were possibly too scared to tell the kitchen staff that rice should come out at roughly the same time as curries and not after the curry has been eaten 20 min later. when i did explain the concept of curry + rice to the staff i receieved largely uninterested responses about all "sides" coming after main meals had been served.

when the rice finally came out half the party had finished their curries anyway so didnt need it. and there was no recognition from the staff that perhaps the timing was a bit off.

so pretty big fail in service to asian beer cafe. i can handle slow food, but not a kitchen that can't get basic timing right and staff who dont even pretend to care.

• Visited January 2012

Melbourne, Australia
“Great and relaxed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2012

I went on a thursday night. There 1 dollar champagne isn't overly good, but the rest was great. Food was lovely. Pizza and chocolate spring rolls. Fantastic. It is very much pub food, but it was what we expected. Was a bit nosy, but it was to be expected.

• Visited December 2011
Melbourne
“Only go if you like horrible cocktails and slow service with average food!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2010

I took 12 of my workmates there with me for our xmas dinner last night and it was dreadful. I've been there for beers before and as nice as the venue is, the service was crap.

A total of 4 cocktails were returned as they tasted vile and we waited on average about 13-15 mins for a drink. (although it did take them 35 mins to bring out table water)

The meals took ages and when they arrived it was all pretty mediocre. I would not waste my money there again.
They were not busy and there was no excuse for their poor service except that they dont know what they are doing.

To make it worse, I put a tab at the bar and clearly told the waitress that when it reaches $600 to please tell me. When I went to pay for the bill, it came to $780!! When I questioned her, she replied 'oh, I forgot, sorry'!

Total lack of customer service. Dont bother going to eat or drink there as you will NEVER get served.
I suggest you take yr own and enjoy the balcony bar by itself!
rachel

2 Thank rachelcurcher
Melbourne
“Offers a plenty!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2009

We've been to Cho Gao now around 3 times over 12 months. Every time we;ve been there is a special or some promotion... you can't loose!!!

We had their 2 for 1 main meals and we're so full we couldn't move for an hour!!! Thank god for the vast variety of specialty teas to aid digestion.

Love the atmostphere, love the service and adore the venue. We'll be back.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“For champaign and chips...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2008

For champaign and chips with chile.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook