“Nice, but not again”

Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: George Calombaris' flagship Melbourne restaurant for MAdE Establishment has cemented itself on the global dining scene with its unique Modern Greek cuisine. In October 2006, the four directors joined together to form MAdE Establishment, and opened their first venue, The Press Club Restaurant and Bar. This began a new era for George Calombaris and cemented his place as a culinary star for his Modern Greek Cuisine - never seen before Melbourne; where modern twists to traditional Greek cuisine has put this restaurant on the global map and has diner's wanting more. The Press Club seats 38 guests in individual booths. Next door to The Press Club at 52 Flinders Street, is Press Club - Projects, George Calombaris' creative and development kitchen. This space can be booked privately for up to 8 guests and offers a completely interactive experience as the chefs experiment with new dishes to make the menu in The Press Club.
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I recently celebrated my birthday at the Press Club, and had been looking forward to experiencing this restaurant for some time. To start with my party of 10 was kept waiting outside for almost 15 minutes, even though we were there at the booking time. We were not offered a drink or anything, just left in the cold. Once we got inside, the decor was ordinary nothing exciting. The staff were great and very informative regarding the food and wines. The food was nice but again, nothing I would rave about. My husband wanted to take a birthday cake for me, however when he was told it would be $15 per head "cakeage" he sensibly didn't take the cake. I find this price totally ridiculous, they did offer to provide a cake but that was going to be $20 per head! They did provide a plate consisting of about 3 small sweets, a candle, and "happy birthday" written in Chocolate. My husband and I have dined at many lovely restaurants all over the world and I'm afraid this restaurant needs to pick it's game up for us to want to go back. At a cost of over $200 per head for our party, including wine, I think there are better places in Melbourne to experience. Quite disappointing, I think they are riding on the name a bit too much unfortunately.

1  Thank Jensta007

Reviewed October 28, 2012

On the advice of my son we booked the Chef's Table. Only four spots - we sit opposite the dessert 'artiste' work area and looking into the kitchen - a fantastic experience; really quite entertaining!
On this table (more of a bench) have to have the 'symposium': 8 courses (plus we added the two specials) and we had the matching wines. Our sommelier knew the wines so well and explained each one in full. The friendly and efficient wait staff knew all the courses and explained the food in detail.
Pricey - not helped by choosing a wonderful Penfolds to go with the incredibly tender aged beef!
But being 'on the bench' made the evening a thorough delight - teamwork and professionalism shown by all the staff from the head chef plating and checking food over the pass to the kitchen hands constantly moving around the kitchen cleaning, replacing plates, pots, etc, A very, very enjoyable four hours!

Reviewed October 25, 2012

The ambiance was amazing. The food was scrumptious and we didn't really have to wait long between courses either. I asked for a mocktail and they whipped up something amazing for me using blood oranges.

Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I went for our first wedding anniversary and were delighted. The night was an experience as opposed to a meal out. Our waiter was very efficient and friendly but not too over bearing. It felt like he really cared about our dining experience. Our meals were all lovely and I was pleasantly surprised by the size of the meals. My highlight was the deconstructed baklava for dessert. Delicious! We didn't run into George Colembaris though.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Been meaning to try this restaurant out. Generally the food was good although I didn't believe it fantastic and didn't really stand out from menus I've had in other good restaurants in Melbourne. However, ordered the Baclava for dessert and it saved the day. A deconstructed version, it was absolutely excellent and I would return to The Press Club on the strength of this one item.