“Unforgetable Birthday treat”

Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed January 13, 2014

What a treat, and yes it's a lot of money but to tag it as expensive would be an insult, quality, effort & attention to detail in every element.

Whilst the meal was at chef's discretion, unlike othe degustations we had the option to request savory or sweet courses, how many & asked not only if we had any alergies but if there was anything special we were hoping for. We went for 6 savory & forgo the desert for the cheese trolley (so good) all matched with wine choosen be the sommelier (great job).

There were plenty of extras that were part of the 'show' 5 small tempters of what was to come before the entertainment of our meal started. The best sorbet ever, not just the taste but the theatre of it, fresh baked bread with the most amazing butter we've ever tatsted & to top it off petite fours (glad we passed on the dessert option).

Forgot to mention the view - WOW & the cocktail mixologists (not your eaverage bar tenders) - must try the macadamia nut martini.

As I'm writing this & can remember every course we had and could not describe any in writing to do them justice. An amazing experience, one for the bucket list, worth saving for.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,736)

Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

All I've heard about Vue de monde is how expensive it is. It's true. If you're not prepared to fork out the dollars then don't even think about it. However I have to say the night itself was quite an experience. The staff were very attentive but not uncomfortably so. From the moment we were seated (fab view by the way), we were given a whole range of nibbles, drinks and information about the evening. We chose to have the 8 course degustation which was great, otherwise we'd have been way too full. Degustation range from 5 to 10 courses costing $200 - $250 pp. the food was good, as you would expect at VDM however it was the whole 'showy' presentation that was more enthralling. We even got a breakfast goody bag to take with us! It was a wonderful evening spent celebrating my birthday.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

The food is great, but the a la carte menu range is very limited if you want to pick. Otherwise you can let them do it for you with the degustation experience. The wine list is extensive but overpriced. The decor is installation art, including the table setting, the table and the toilets. Interesting but trying too hard. The service is good, but the staff take themselves very seriously, and its a bit noisy. The view is great, but the sun is a problem through the windows late in the day. All in all a strangely mixed experience.

1  Thank hsweriss
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Sat at the chef's table for the 10 course degustation menu (six diners total).

Underwhelmed by the whole experience. Food was fine, but a few weeks later I can't really remember a stand out dish. Not worth the price at all.

Sommelier was about 18 years old, nervous, and couldn't be heard even after being asked to speak up - twice. He used the same descriptive words for every wine presented. Wine pairing was average and hugely over-priced for the quality of wine served.

Other servers were arrogant. I was bumped on numerous occasions while plates were being served or removed. Servers interrupted conversations to serve and looked vaguely annoyed if we didn't shut up quickly enough for their liking.

Don't bother.

5  Thank m2010x
Reviewed January 11, 2014

This was my third visit to Vue, and a group of friends were with me on my recommendation, they were disappointed and I was embarrassed. Previous visits were five star perfection - delicious, quality, original courses presented impeccably by faultless staff.

Nothing was terrible this time around, but for close to $500 per head for dinner I feel entitled to nitpick, and I am only comparing Vue to its previous self. We had an early sitting and an understanding that the table had to be released at a certain time, so we arrived prepared to start degustation with wine matching immediately. Instead there was an awkward pressure to have a before dinner drink. The sommelier was summoned and the discussion of what we wanted to spend on wine matching was painful. For context, I've been twice before and never had this pressure about what he referred to as the "financial aspects" before. On a previous visit the sommelier very affably recommended $20 per course unless I wanted to really push the boat out and we were done with it. This visit was painful, it felt like a high pressure sales pitch from Harvey Norman. He did recommend that we spend the same on wine matching as we were spending on food but we didn't know what that amount was and asked, and that lead into another discussion of the " financial aspects" as though we didn't know where we were and what to expect.

As another reviewer noted, no tap water option was offered. Only bottled water all the way from France despite the so called commitment to environmental issues.

The really really awkward part came when a white truffle was plunked down in front of us (literally!) and we were asked if we wanted to add this for $60. No mention of what we were adding to it (white truffle on chocolate soufflé anyone?) and to compare Vue to Vue, on previous visits if truffle went with the course it came with the course.

There were a few more minor transgressions like sauce dribbled on cutlery that was not replaced, a request for more gluten free bread (as had been advised at booking) that was not met, and a course served lukewarm.

If you've never been, ignore me. It's a lovely location with brilliant, delicious, creative food. If you have been before, don't bother, sadly Vue de Monde has long since peaked and you'll only be disappointed compared to what it once was.

3  Thank AssetBC