“food great but length between courses disappointing” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Vue de Monde

Vue de Monde
Ranked #18 of 3,643 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: French, Australian, Gluten Free, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Melbourne, Australia
“food great but length between courses disappointing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

This was my birthday treat- we booked for the 8.30 degustation menu and at 1am we were still having the deserts offered....we had seen other groups come and go through their courses ahead of us. We were the last ones in the restaurant still going through the dining process. We waited for a long time between some of the courses with no explanation. By 1.15am we requested the bill we could not face waiting to be asked if we wanted tea/coffee, because this experience was so prolonged we had missed all of the public transport and then had to wait to get a taxi home. We cannot fault the food presentation and the 'dining experience' however it just turned out to be more of an endurance than experience it was so disappointing....we had a view over the city but obscured by a big window support in the centre too....

3 Thank den003

• Thai first
Melbourne
“More like a tasting experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

For the cost I can think of many other restaurants to eat at. It was an experience but not one I am willing to pay for again (dinner 200pp). The food was fresh and tasty, but it felt more like a food tasting experience with a theatrical touch (other posters have given a good account of the proceedings) than an unforgettable dining experience. The staff were efficient but to me, they seems more pretentious than friendly. The atmosphere was sophisticated but cold. I can't help but think that a major part of what I paid went to supporting the theatre and sophisticated atmosphere, and I am more for the friendly cosy dining experience.

• 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank PopOle19
Auckland
“An experience not to forget”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

This was my second visit (took my wife for our anniversary) and the standard was once again quite amazing. We had 8 courses, and left very full. With so many courses some are better than others, but that is part of the experience, but as always it is great to try such a variety of foods. My wife is not quite as adventurous an eater as me, and was a little worried after the first round of wallaby, emu, eel, etc. but after that the food was more main-stream (lamb, pork belly, barrumundi, etc). She is also gluten free, and the restaurant handled that extremely well. The overall experience of location, view, service, taste and presentation is faultless. My only quibble would be that it would nice to see a menu and a price list before ordering. Basically you discuss how many courses you want, but you don't have any idea about what you will be eating, and what is will cost, until the end. Of course if you go to this type of restaurant you shouldn't be worrying about the price, but is always nice to have an idea in the back of your mind.

1 Thank KiwiTraveller43
Perth, Australia
“Blown away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Right from the moment we walked through the door we were blown away! Can not fault this place, the view was amazing. Probably the best fine dining restaurant I've been to.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Becbeb
Melbourne
“An Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We went on a Saturday night and the only option is for the 5 or 10 course degustation menu. We went for the 5 course as we didn't think we would see the distance with 10 courses. We also opted to choose our own wine as my wife only drinks red wine. On arrival we were met and were confused with some other people attending a large party in another part of the restaurant. Once that was sorted out we were ushered down a long corridor lined with wine. Once in the restaurant we were then shown our table. Unfortunately it was not by the window to take advantage of the fabulous view of Melbourne by night, even though we booked some 3 months in advance. We were then offered water options. I don't think common old garden Melbourne tap water was an option so we ended up with an Italian still ($10 per bottle).
The table we had looked like it would hold about 6 people although it was just the two of us. There is an assortment of rocks and what looks like driftwood but is in fact lumps of grape vine.
These are for holding your cutlery.
As expected the serves are tiny but the flavours are sublime. Even though we had only 5 courses it was enough and the service was impecable. My glass was never empty and we were never wondering when the next couses was coming. It all seemed to flow like a well oiled machine.
It's not cheap, but hey, you don't do it every day and it's an experience that should be had.