“exceptional food and service”
Review of Vue de Monde

Vue de Monde
Ranked #31 of 4,295 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: French, Australian, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We dined here when visiting Melbourne in August 2012. We had recently spent 2 weeks in New York visiting family, and were fortunate to dine at some very good restaurants. Vue de Monde is in a league of its own, providing the most exceptional service and food. It really needs to be seen as an experience more than eating a fine meal. The combination of location, with spectacular views, the roominess of the restaurant ( a large table just for the 2 of us), the open kitchen, the quality of the staff and the extraordinary quality of the food. We can't rate it high enough, if you are looking for an experience for a special occasion or treat - vue de monde is the place to go. The service went right through to our leaving, when we were provided with a take home goodie bag with food for breakfast the next morning. Next time we are in Melbourne we will definitely be back.

1  Thank Emma-Tsultrim W
Write a ReviewReviews (1,750)

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Shouted my sister to a special Birthday lunch.

What a wonderful lunch it was. Loved everything about it, a totally enjoyable experience from the vista, the table, the table setting, the attention to detail, the professional staff, the selection of wine and most of all the wonderful and exquisite food.

Totally enjoyable. Shannon and the team are just excelling!!!

1  Thank Marie T
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I visited Vue de Monde back in its old location 6 years ago and was very disappointed. My friends and I vowed not to return and sent a list of things to improve. When I was invited to dinner by a colleague I respect I was curious. The restaurant totally exceeded my expectations in every way!
The view from level 55 is, of course, outstanding. The decor and furniture is creative, elegant and Australian. The cutlery, glassware and other table ware was first class, especially the spoons:)
However, none of this would mean a thing without a stunning dining experience. And it was. The food was delicious and innovative and best of all it was an interactive, artistic and entertaining experience. And the service from a variety of waiters (all of diverse backgrounds) was enthusiastic and knowledgeable. There was no pretension from anyone and it felt like we were all sharing in a passionate gourmet adventure. We were even lucky enough to be shown around the open kitchen which further heightened our admiration of this world class restaurant.
I totally recommend this experience!

1  Thank Tania d
Reviewed February 18, 2013

For me, Vue de Monde is unfailingly the best restaurant in Melbourne! The food is exquisite, the service is always excellent and there are plenty of little touches for you to feel like you get what you paid for. There is a lot of attention to detail, fun little touches to make you feel very connected with the food and they don't skimp on anything whatsoever. The price tag is very high ($150 per head for a la carte or $250 degustation), but I have dined here a few times and have always felt that it was worth every cent! I also felt like it was far superior to other restaurants in this price range - like Jacques Raymond or Attica - and a clear step up from other high price range Melbourne restaurants like Rockpool or the Atlantic.

2  Thank nooree
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Vue De Monde in Melbourne, Australia takes fine dining to new heights, literally and figuratively.

This restaurant is located on the 55th floor of the city’s iconic Rialto Tower. Rarely do restaurants become successful in the three most important areas: good service, quality food and memorable ambiance. Vue de Monde easily gets a perfect “10” in all three categories.

Unsurpassed Service
From the minute I stepped into their private elevator, I received the royal treatment. Please bear in mind that this particular evening, I chose to dine by myself. Most restaurants would simply render me invisible because of that, but not Vue de Monde.

Simply the Best Food in the World
As an international traveler and fine diner, I have had the good fortune and pleasure of dining in some of the world’s best restaurants. However, when I ate at Vue de Monde, I felt as though the restaurants I have visited in the past were merely “appetizers.” Vue de Monde is the main dish when it comes to fine dining. The strategic combination of flavors, textures and aromas make the food irresistible! In addition, the head chef cleverly creates opportunities for diner participation. For example, I was served a palate cleanser where I was asked to use a mortar and pestle to grind wildflowers that were soaked in liquid nitrogen. The mixture was combined with a citrus sorbet. The result was a flavor and an experience that was out-of-this-world. I enjoyed the diner participation aspect because I wasn’t asked to do too much—yet I felt a connection between the head chef and me. I like that because it connects me with the food.

The “Australia Outback” ambiance
Whether it’s the kangaroo fur-covered chairs, the faux firefly lighting, or the utilitarian pebble assortment on each table—the Australian outback had a strong presence in the restaurant. Without creativity and attention to detail, recreating an outback experience on the 55th floor of the Rialto could have been disastrously garish. Instead, there is a subtle blend of elegance and pure Australiana.

I would fly to Melbourne just to dine at Vue de Monde again and again.

2  Thank Robert B