“New Heights at Vue de Monde Restaurant in Melbourne, Australia”
Review of Vue de Monde

Vue de Monde
Ranked #29 of 4,219 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: French, Australian, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Vue De Monde in Melbourne, Australia takes fine dining to new heights, literally and figuratively.

This restaurant is located on the 55th floor of the city’s iconic Rialto Tower. Rarely do restaurants become successful in the three most important areas: good service, quality food and memorable ambiance. Vue de Monde easily gets a perfect “10” in all three categories.

Unsurpassed Service
From the minute I stepped into their private elevator, I received the royal treatment. Please bear in mind that this particular evening, I chose to dine by myself. Most restaurants would simply render me invisible because of that, but not Vue de Monde.

Simply the Best Food in the World
As an international traveler and fine diner, I have had the good fortune and pleasure of dining in some of the world’s best restaurants. However, when I ate at Vue de Monde, I felt as though the restaurants I have visited in the past were merely “appetizers.” Vue de Monde is the main dish when it comes to fine dining. The strategic combination of flavors, textures and aromas make the food irresistible! In addition, the head chef cleverly creates opportunities for diner participation. For example, I was served a palate cleanser where I was asked to use a mortar and pestle to grind wildflowers that were soaked in liquid nitrogen. The mixture was combined with a citrus sorbet. The result was a flavor and an experience that was out-of-this-world. I enjoyed the diner participation aspect because I wasn’t asked to do too much—yet I felt a connection between the head chef and me. I like that because it connects me with the food.

The “Australia Outback” ambiance
Whether it’s the kangaroo fur-covered chairs, the faux firefly lighting, or the utilitarian pebble assortment on each table—the Australian outback had a strong presence in the restaurant. Without creativity and attention to detail, recreating an outback experience on the 55th floor of the Rialto could have been disastrously garish. Instead, there is a subtle blend of elegance and pure Australiana.

I would fly to Melbourne just to dine at Vue de Monde again and again.

2  Thank Robert B

Reviewed February 12, 2013

We celebrated our engagement and my birthday here in February 2013 and could not have asked for a more magical wonderful night of celebration. Our night started with a warm greeting from charming host Andrew Pennycook and champagne in the bar. Very chic! We took in the incredible views and watched the St Kilda yacht squadron out on the bay and prepared ourselves....
Dinner was just extraordinary. We did the degustation, beautiful appetisers then 6 savoury courses and 2 sweet. More than enough for us. At times the magnificent flavours left us speechless. It really is high art! We loved the combination of fun, performance and extraordinary flavours. Highlights were the marron, the onion soup (served theatrically in a vaculator!) and the spanner crab. Oh and the chocolate souffle. Oh, really - ALL OF IT. I am still dreaming about the meal.
Watching the kitchen staff work was fabulous fun and the service was brilliant - attentive, not intrusive and a friendly style without pomp. Happy to answer questions. This was a special night out for us and not something we could afford regularly, but we plan to come back for our anniversary. Bravo!

1  Thank AndyL68
Reviewed February 12, 2013

The service here starts from the moment you make your reservation, the person over the phone is polite and not overly curt, unlike a lot of other top restaurants. They are very attentive, yet not overbearing nor pushy. The food, oh the food... we went for the ala carte menu as we wanted bigger portions of the items we want and not a selection of everything, and it didn't disappoint. The menu is simplistic, but nothing served were anywhere I could describe as that. We really enjoyed choices, as we did the clever and amazingly delicious palate cleansers. Oh, and watch out for their butter. Amazing! This restaurant clearly deserves all the accolates it has received. One thing that stood out was that the service was flawless, we never actually waited for any courses, they always arrived timely. The view overlooking the sleek Melbourne city is impressive. Definitely a restaurant worth checking out, and coming back to!

1  Thank Seha_Suhaimi
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Hubby and I love food- you can see this by our many reviews here on trip advisor. We love the theatre of food. We want to be surprised and intrigued, as well as experiencing great tastes- the kinds of tastes that make your mouth water when you remember them fondly. Vue de Monde gave us this and more.

We were lucky enough to be sitting by the kitchen to watch the chefs as they created the magic. For us, much more interesting than the Melbourne view for our Sunday lunch.

We chose the surprise 10 course degustation. There was a choice of a la carte and 7 course degustation and then the option of matching wine as well. It was $250 each- stunning value we thought for the amount of preparation and ingredients that came together in the meal. We have paid over $500 each in many restaurants in Paris that were nothing compared to our meal on Sunday. We also don't drink alcohol and it did not matter at all to the tastes of the dishes. It was not as though they skimped on the rich sauces, as some restaurants do, so as to enhance the flavour with wine! And when they asked us if we had any dietary requirements, we said we don't eat the cheese course and they suggested an extra dessert instead. They get a Gold star for not flinching at our announcement that we don't drink alcohol too.

The food was superlative. There was not a low moment for us. Savoury and sweet were all excellent and interesting and how refreshing to actually have a pattissiere in the restaurant overseeing and making desserts. I love Soufflé, and have had some spectacular ones, and the chocolate soufflé at Vue de Monde was the best I have eaten thus far and in a spectacular show of culinary expertise it was cooked in glass! No way to hide any imperfections.

The service was excellent. Dishes were delivered and explained by the chefs at times, which was a lovely touch. The wait staff were understated, calm and professional, judging when to have a joke and when not to. It reminded me of fine dining of old in that regard. The setting is industrial, yet plush, but funky. Leather tables offset with elaborate christofle silverware.

As you can tell, we had a great experience. It was fun! I would highly recommend it and I will definitely be returning again and again even though we live in Sydney. My husband is already talking about when we might go back.

1  Thank Tania_Chris
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Had a fantastic night at the Vue de monde a few weeks ago. The food was very good, and in some cases exceptional; and the way it was presented and served up to us was in general just a bit more interesting than most other top restaurants we have been to. We loved it. My wife is pregnant, and they were excellent about making alternative arrangements for the few foods she wasn't able to eat or needed to be prepared slightly differently. Thanks for the great night!

1  Thank Mrukk