“wonderful Iberian food”

Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Although I was born in Melbourne, I actually enjoy it more now that I return as a visitor.
Staying in a hotel in the middle of the CBD gives you an opportunity to enjoy both the shopping and the food scene and the myriad of laneways with small coffee bars and cafes.
Bar Lourinha is my favourite for lunch - a wonderful choice of small exquisite Iberian tapas - I've been many times now and perhaps the most difficult question is whether to repeat something you have enjoyed before or whether you experiment and try something that may be new on the menu.
It is a small narrow restaurant and does not take bookings but in all the times I have been there, we have had no difficulties in getting a table or seat at the bar.
Although it is open for lunch and dinner, for me personally it is the ideal lunch place - a small selection of tapas matched by a wonderful glass of Spanish wine - life doesn't get any better.

Reviewed January 6, 2011

After two visits to Melbourne (the last one lasting over a month) this is my favourite restaurant in the city. The food is gorgeous and the staff genuinely friendly. They do not take bookings so when we arrived we were led to a waiting area where you can order your wine/drink and order some small tapas while waiting. There is a quick turn over of customers so we did not have to wait for too long. The atmosphere was great so we did not mind waiting.

We were seated at the bar area and we were able to interact with the staff, ask for recommendations etc. The food was delicious with good size portions. We had the churros for dessert. Yum!

1  Thank JensDublin
Reviewed November 1, 2010

We waited months to finally try this place.
Very crowded, so be prepared to stand and wait 15 minutes or more in the hallway, until a stool becomes available. These are high, uncomfortable and very, very close together, so you can't help it, but elbow whoever is sitting next to you.
The food is good, the drinks come fast. Interesting decor and very friendly staff.
I've tried it once, but have no reason to come back.

1  Thank MelbourneLola
Reviewed October 27, 2010

The food is exceptional here, if not the best value for money ever. It's not really that expensive either, though, compared with other city restaurants. The tapas dishes cost between $10-$15 for sampling, but last time we got out of there having spent $70 for two, including a beer each. It's pretty loud, though, so not the best choice for a romantic evening.

1  Thank Dogsbrain
Reviewed October 25, 2010

One of my favorite places to eat in Melbourne, or just meet for drinks. Be prepared to wait for seats on the weekend, but it's well worth it! Sample Spanish wines and a changing tapas menu depending on the season.

1  Thank Kathjs