“Class and Service”

The Italian Restaurant and Bar
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: Centrally located in Melbourne, The Italian is situated at Melbourne's premium building 101 Collins Street, entry via 100 Flinders Lane. For the last 9 years we have been serving Melbourne with our inspired cuisine from Northern Italy. Open for breakfast lunch and dinner. Specialising in large bookings, functions and weddings. This hidden gem will surprise you when you come in.
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We booked for a dinner at The Italian as part of a celebratory weekend in Melbourne. Classically top class food and wine at The Italian combined with friendly and superb service meant we had a top night. Our menu included venison terrine, succulent baby pullet, tasty, well cooked steak and tiramisu - all beautifully cooked and prepared. It was a bit expensive but reasonable for Melbourne CBD. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Sydneysida

Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

We ate here on a Saturday night and for entree we tried a selection from the Piatti Comuni on offer. The standouts were the oysters, croquettes, and bruschetta. All of them full of flavour. We also ordered the char grilled prawns which were excellent but the calamari fritti was average.

My main of half a roast duck was a let down, i found it over cooked and surprisingly lacking any crispy skin. The hand cut chips were average and probably wise to avoid.

I skipped dessert as nothing stood out to me but my friends selection looked good.

Overall, it was a good night out but that was more to do with the service then the food.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Hard to decide in Melbourne just which restaurant to choose but it was in the TripAdvisor top range for Italian cuisine so I went with the flow. Situated at the rear of a truly facinating building with outstanding flair and design (Loved the gold leaf walls in a submerged pond at the entrance and the statues and columns - quite memorable) Then to the restaurant past the open kitchen and bar and to a peaceful beautifully set dining area. Glass with candles, tablecloths but calm and not pretentious. Had a Negroni because I could and it was faultless.
I chose the Veal Tongue because it is NOT something I could do at home and I do not know why I never did that before.. It was simply outstanding with a simple dressing of capers/shallots/fresh parsley and melt in the mouth. Main course was a peasant style penne with pork, chilli and cavelo nero and again, simple bursting with flavour. A glass of appropriate wine for each course and I thought I was in an Italian Heaven. Deserves to be packed. And I was dining alone and was made to feel really good about it. It was just the best experience and if I lived in Melbourne this would be a regular haunt. Go! You won't regret it.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

The Italian is hidden away in the imposing 101 Collins Street building that features the 'unfinished' Corinthian pillars in the building's facade in the 'Paris end' of Collins Street.

You can sit out in the foyer with a latte and watch the once high profile, now retired, businessmen and politicians and serious looking lawyers scurry to the lifts - or dine in the more formal section. The red banquettes are comfortable and tables are discreetly arranged to provide privacy.

The service at The Italian is outstanding. Nothing is too much trouble and the staff seem committed to ensure you enjoy the experience. For lunch, we had the vegetarian risotto which was fabulous. My only complaint is there should be more lighter, meatless meals on offer for lunch rather than the ever present venison, duck and steak.

The white tablecloths and starched napkins set the scene for special occasion dining - yet prices are not prohibitive. I will be back.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Ate here during the week and was not disappointed. Very generous servings of lovely food. The risotto entree was the best I had ever eaten and I also tried the venison terrine with poached cinnamon pear. Scrumptious. For main I went with the duck, however although nice was not extraordinary. Opted out for dessert as full, however we were presented with complimentary petite fours (only 2) . The ambience of this restaurant is excellent and the wine list is fantastic.

1  Thank kimbo66