“Brilliant meal”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We had an amazing meal here. The duck pate was the most amazing pate I have ever tasted. The flavour was delicate and subtle. Every dish was outstanding and the portions were just the right size. We left full without feeling uncomfortable. Vegetables do not come with the main course so we ordered a bowl of baked vegetables to share and they were delicious. We arrived at the restaurant just after 6 pm and had our two courses in time to walk to the Princess Theatre for the start of an 8 pm show. The service was fast, efficient and friendly. The waiters were knowledgeable about the dishes on the menu and were able to offer suggestions. This restaurant will definitely be on our list next time we are in Melbourne.

There are newer reviews for Society

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Went there or a private dinner party and was in the top floor room, was amazing. The food was divine, the service was friendly and accommodating and the room was so welcoming with a fireplace, couches and privacy.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

I've dined here with friends quite a number of times over the years since it re-opened. I've always loved it and have been keen to share my love with others. This is the second time here for lunch and after a disappointing lunch last time was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and try again. Fail! The food was a bit bland in some cases (Duck pate), or way short on quantity and quality (seafood risotto) in others. Between four of us we tried a range of different dishes and none were found to be particularly good, or at least at the level I'd come to expect from past experiences at dinner. Maybe dinners are better than lunches ?? - but that should never be the case - a restaurant is only as good as the last meal you have eaten there. Sorry but I think I'll try elsewhere next time in a competitive market.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

This was my second visit to Society and it more than lived up to the great memory I have from eating there a bit over a year ago. The service was friendly, professional and efficient.

At $60, their 5 course degustation menu is exceptional value and really deliver on quality, flavoursome food.

It started with boccocini and semi-dried tomato wrapped up together with rocket and fresh basil, drizzled in balsamic - delicious.

The pork belly that followed was perfectly cooked with heaps of flavour and just wonderfully crunchy on the outside.

A small portion of homemade ravioli and fresh peas followed that opened the appetite for the meat dish to follow.

The lamb that they served just melted in the mouth and what a great sauce it came with.

Finally, a simply awesome 'chocolate and orange sandwich' with decadent dark chocolate, plenty of spice bread flavour and caramelised orange. A perfect

It was unpretentious eating at a great price. Awesome wine list too and I would definitely recommend their offerings from Vasse Felix.

As I wrote last year, I'll certainly be back - with company this would be a lovely place for a meal.

1  Thank aimoverseas
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Dined here twice this week. First time as walk ins off the street escaping Melbourne's rain, and we were pleasantly surprised with excellent service and very good food. So we went back again as it was just near our hotel, and we were remembered and treated like we were regulars!! Would recommend for a casual Italian style meal, not food and wine snobbery!!