“Cosy Place to Drink and Eat in the Heart of Melbourne”
Review of Journal

Journal
Ranked #571 of 4,219 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed May 24, 2013

My first visit to the Journal Cafe this afternoon. Its a very pleasant and cosy space with mostly longish tables to be shared by six to eight people but also with a few two seaters. Its got a bookish atmosphere with mostly city workers and student/intellectual types in residence. A friend and I just had coffees today and even though we spent a good hour and a half finishing them no one tried to hurry us on; thats a very welcome and friendly indicator. The food (think various bruschettas, antipasti, salads and sandwiches as well as some hot dishes) and alcoholic drinks are also reliably good, friends have told me. This is a good place to spend a few hours reading, meeting friends or just using your laptop, and the location in one of Melbourne's attractive downtown streets (Flinders Lane) near the city's famous lane-ways, is a major attraction. Its also part of the City Library and Council of Adult Education complex.

Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

We went to journal today for breakfast looking for standard breakfast type food and realised they didn't have the eggs benedict/florentine type breakfast we were looking for. We were too tired to look for another place so stayed. The waitresses looked like they didn't want to be at work and were really odd. We were ignored when we walked in then shown a
Table as if we were a great inconvenience, had a toddler and pram with us so I don't know if this had anything to do with it. The waitress was just odd there's no other way to describe it, slow, surly, I think she was trying to look cool or something, but it came off as unfriendly, so smiles here from anyone whatsoever. I personally think this place had a pretentious air about it.

Thankfully the food was alright, we had the cheese n tomato toast with poached egg...tastes good but for a hearty more
Filling breakfast with maybe two poached eggs not one would go elsewhere. Looking around
The place we also noted that other bruschetta dishes were very small.

The chai was divine however.

Annoying that they don't accept card payments but I find this is an Aussie thing, a nuisance we must live with.

Overall the food was ok but the
Attitude from staff would stop me from going there again.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Was concerned we would be a bit too daggy for this place (the wife is an actual librarian) but it was great. Licenced, located in the middle of the laneways area (adjacent to the City Library). Had a couple of ciders and some nibblies on comfy chairs and watched the world go buy. Reasonably priced also.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I had a very nice lunch at Journal in Melbourne a couple fo days ago whilst visiting my son and his family, the food and service were great, although the food did take awhile to arrive. I felt that this comment needed to be placed as when we it came time to pay we were told they only accepted cash (includes EFTPOS), no credit cards, this nbeing so I could not find a sign advising customers of this. No reason to not go to this restaurant just beware that it only accepts cash.

Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

Need a place that's fast, tasty, communal, relaxed yet quality ....Canteen delivers, try the sucking pig lasagna or the angliotti- butter sage heavenly collision. Washed down with a N ZRosé