“Sunday night”

Ranked #19 of 4,298 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: Upon opening our doors in 2009, we were thrilled to receive the The Age Good Food Guide's 'HatAward' and have maintained it ever since. Complementing these achievements, we are very proud of Head Sommelier, Travis Howe, who not only won Sommelier of the Year but also picked up the 2013 Wine List of the Year. Nestled in one of Melbourne's iconic laneways (basement Oliver Lane, and Flinders Lane), Coda is located in the busiest and most dynamic culinary precinct the city has to offer. A stone's throw away from the Yarra River, Flinders Street station and Federation Square, the restaurant enjoys hosting a diverse group of diners from frequenting locals who live and work on its doorstep to diners from all over the globe. Upon entering the restaurant you will be greeted by a member of our friendly team headed by Mykal and Kate Bartholomew and Executive Chef Adam D'Sylva. The trio has assembled a dedicated team with highly sought-after experience from many international and Melbourne-based restaurants. Coda's relaxed environment provides a versatile setting for a range of engagements. Whatever your occasion - from a quick pre-football meal, to a long Sunday lunch, business dining or a cosy seat for an anniversary - we look forward to your visit. While bookings are highly recommended, patrons without a reservation can enjoy the full menu at the bar.
Reviewed September 30, 2013

First time at Coda. No booking, just sat at the bar or should I say the bar height tables in the Bar area. There were four of us. Great atmosphere, great food and excellent wine list. I think you are best go there in a group of four. It does not strike me as the place for a quiet romantic meal. You need to be celebrating or just out for a good fun night. The food is best ordered to share. I don't think there is was dish on the menu that did not read well. Every thing we ordered was tasty, spicy and different. Staff were very helpful and obliging.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

First imnpressions were good, snazzy bar , mood lighting pleasant reception and wait staff . Menu also read well qaas did wine list . But it was downhill most of the way thereafter . In ways I can blame myself for the wine I chose-- it was a rose from Provence , but far too sweet for my taste. Perhaps that is more acceptable in an Asian restaurant , but no thanks . For starters we had 1] spanner crab on a betel leaf - acceptable but quite forgetable 2] quail lettuce delight - translated as a variant of sang choy bow - it totally lacked flavour and tasted quite unseasoned
3]crispy rice paper roll - a nothing 4] soft rice paper roll-- well for much less in any Vietnamese restaurant in Victoria St you would get several of these and just as tasty , so , a rip off . My wife had the octopus salad for mains and said it was delicious . I had a half serve of the thai yellow curry duck . Yes, it was a generous serve as too was the rice but the actual curry tasted much more Indian than Thai , and in my opinion was not at all suitable as a sort of curry to feature duck .
So all in all a major disappointment somewhat spoiling my wife's birthday treat . I reckon that another restaurant serving Vietnamese food just up the road kills this one stone dead . Mind you many suburban restaurants also are much better, and much better value .

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Brilliant place, been a few times now and can't wait to go back. If as a couple sit at the bar, watch the staff work in the kitchen and enjoy the banter with the bar staff. Food in small but many and varied packages. Joyful experience, absolutely.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Having tried to eat here a number of times, the expectation was high. It delivered. We booked { a treat in itself in Melbourne } and were a little early. Settled in a quiet corner with a drink immediately, we had only a short wait. We chose all small plates and shared them amongst four. Waiter excellent with recommendations and advice. Probably ordered a bit much but it was all delicious. The wine list needs care, a few bargains but pretty pricey. Good French fizz to start on recommendation.
Would return in a minute.

Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Had some lunch here early in 2013 tried a few entries to share it was very quiet being a public holiday, all the food had a citrus flavour which is nice for japanese dishes but found it all a bit boring and same same. Maybe I just lucked out. Paul